It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Here's some interesting reading that links pole shifts to animal die offs..

However, its not all good news. Until recently, it was thought that
pole shifts were a gradual process. But recent evidence from studying
the alignment of iron particles in lava flows found one case where the
Earth's magnetic field shifted 80 degrees in 13 days.

What would a pole shift do to life on Earth?

Migratory birds, fish and animals would become confused. This might
lead to them wandering far from current feeding and breeding grounds,
into areas not suitable for them, and could quite easily be concieved
as leading to mass extinctions, habitat destruction and loss of life,
both animal and human.

While this latter theory is controversial, scientists have already
shown that insects can actually be killed as a result of fluctuations
in magnetic fields around them, and the same experimenters have shown
similar, though smaller, effects in humans, leaving them dazed and
confused.

answers.google.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Ok nevermind I'm up to speed. I'm dunn and for now unspun.

edit on 6-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Let's agree to disagree on every essence and nuance that life has to offer, deal?

We're apparently on diametrically opposing sides of the spectrum.
There's no law requiring us to think alike and I like what I think so....let's call it a day
Stay well

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

So were any of these birds that died recently found where they weren't supposed to be?

It's also discussing pole reversal, not mere shifting.

edit on 6/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

No mater what you can make a compass face north. Now set that compass on the ground for a year, without moving it, then you could see if it moved.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

So were any of these birds that died recently found where they weren't supposed to be?

It's also discussing pole reversal, not mere shifting.

If you read the whole article it is talking about both..
It mentions an 80 degree SHIFT in 13 days..

You'd think that would be enough to cause problems with migration etc..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I wish I could agree to disagree mate but when you say things like this:

The core is pivotal to everything. The core is what science thinks is gravity. The core is what's keeping us earthbound and animals on track. Not gravity.
That's why you can't stand on the Moon. There's no core (most likely artificial). It's not that it lacks gravity.

The core isn't pivotal to gravity at all, plus the moon actually does have a core, despite you saying otherwise...you do also say the moon has an artificial core, so I don't know how it can have an artificial core and no core at the same time??

Anyway, anything with a mass, also has and is effected by gravity, that's why things fall to the ground here on earth.

It doesn't matter if it has a core or not.

An asteroid has gravity.

The moon has gravity.

A feather has gravity.

And as soon as we ALL figure that out, the sooner we can graduate from this galactic kindergarten classroom.

Doesn't that contradict what you said earlier?

You said that science should be understandable by anyone instantly, so that would mean keeping it in the galactic kindergarten classroom, right?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

No I believe he was just making a statement that there is evidence that the earth's magnetic field has shifted 80 degrees in 13 days before...

However, its not all good news. Until recently, it was thought that pole shifts were a gradual process. But recent evidence from studying the alignment of iron particles in lava flows found one case where the Earth's magnetic field shifted 80 degrees in 13 days.

He then continues about a reversal...

What would a pole shift do to life on Earth?

Compasses would obviously be effected as would all navigational instruments which depend on them. So shipping, air-flight and all GPS equipment, including satellites, would be off-line until we figured out how to cope with the reversal.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by randyvs

The core is what science thinks is gravity.
That's why you can't stand on the Moon. There's no core

I can see why you might have been mocking scientific knowledge and methods before...you seem not to be too good at it, and may have skipped some classes when in school.

"Science" has pretty much attributed gravity to the mass of an object...not what's inside it. The moon does have gravity, only 1/6 of what's found on this planet due to it's mass being proportionally less.

Mock science all you want, it really only serves to make you look more ignorant.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Paroxysm because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2011 by Paroxysm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

No I believe he was just making a statement that there is evidence that the earth's magnetic field has shifted 80 degrees in 13 days before...

To be honest, they are a little unclear on that..
It's hard to read it and decide which they mean...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

"Science" has pretty much contributed gravity to the mass of an object...not what's inside it. The moon does have gravity, only 1/6 of what's found on this planet due to it's mass being proportionally less.

Mock science all you want, it really only serves to make you look more ignorant.

The cause of gravity is still open to serious debate..
The mass theory is the currently taught version but many scientists have argued the electrical theory, including Tesla..
Both theories work but neither have been proven..

So if it really is an electrical effect that creates gravity then the Earths core could have an effect..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It's been known for quite a while that the magnetic pole has been shifting GRADUALLY. You can even google stories that have been told over the years about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I haven't read through the whole thread, however every schoolboy knows that the there is a geographical north pole and a true magnetic north pole.Also that the magnetic pole is moving all the time.

Earth is like a giant magnet with a North and South Pole. However, the magnetic North and South Pole are not aligned with the Geographic North and South Pole. The Geographic North Pole is defined by the latitude 90° N and is the axis of the Earth's rotation. The Magnetic North Pole is where the Earth's magnetic field points vertically downward. The Earth creates its own magnetic field from the electric currents created in the liquid iron-nickel core. In order to illustrate the earth's magnetic field, three datasets for Earth's Magnetism have been created. All of these datasets show the changes in the magnetic field from 1590 - 2010. The first dataset shows the magnetic field lines at the surface of the Earth. The magnetic poles are indicated by stars. The blue lines show where the magnetic field dips into the Earth and the red lines show where the magnetic field emerges from the Earth. Where the field lines are horizontal to the Earth, between the red and blue lines, is the magnetic equator shaded yellow.

Compass needles point in the direction of the magnetic field lines, which is generally different from the direction to the Geographic North Pole. The compass pointing direction can also differ from the direction to the Magnetic North Pole since the magnetic field lines are not just circles connecting the magnetic poles. The second dataset shows the compass pointing directions around the world. The black lines (meridians) indicate the direction of True North. The angle between the compass pointing direction and True North is called magnetic declination. The third dataset shows lines of equal magnetic declination measured in degrees east (positive) or west (negative) of True North. The black line is where the declination equals zero and the direction of True North and Magnetic North are equal. The Magnetic North and South Poles are indicated by the black stars. It is important to know the magnetic declination when using a compass to navigate so that the direction of True North can be determined. Since the 1970's the movement of the Magnetic North Pole has accelerated.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
At the end of the article in the OP it said :The Federal Aviation Administration required the runway designation change to account for what a National Geographic News report described as a gradual shift of the Earth's magnetic pole at nearly 40 miles a year toward Russia because of magnetic changes in the core of the planet.
What does this mean if the magnetic changes are occuring in the CORE of the planet ? Does this mean it is something unusual, and therefore serious ? Or are changes in the core responsible for those magnetic changes that occur regularly every 11 years or so ? I am a bit clueless on this subject at the moment . You have people saying this is nothing to worry about and others suggesting it might be the start of a complete reversal which is that major event that happens only once every tens of thousands of years....

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I did link to a page earlier on which explains it all...disappeared amongst all the discussions and arguments

gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I did link to a page earlier on which explains it all...disappeared amongst all the discussions and arguments

gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

Thanks, will read after the school run and shopping. So what is going on - is it bad or just normal ?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Absolutely nothing to worry about read my post a couple above.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Absolutely nothing to worry about read my post a couple above.

Care to elaborate?
I don't think we are all gonna die tomorrow but a pole shift is not exactly "nothing" to worry about either..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Magnetic poles doesn't shift so fast. First it weakens and then we don't have any magnetic field when poles are near equator. If people living in equator see northern lights, then our magnetic field is gone. Reversal doesn't happen in one or two days, It takes months! I don't have compass so i can't check where are the poles now.

Also, we shouldn't have any electricity if pole change happened, pole change affects electricity critically. Whole planet would be in blackout. Why? Cause poles affects in electrical charges
edit on 6-1-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

But recent evidence from studying
the alignment of iron particles in lava flows found one case where the
Earth's magnetic field shifted 80 degrees in 13 days.

80 degrees is very close to moving from the poles to the equator and it happened in "13 days"

Bit faster than you are saying..So it CAN and HAS happened...

edit on 6-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join