It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ok maybe the airport is closed because I tried to find a flight and was unable to find anything lol. So I might have been wrong on that one.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

That's about the same as was already posted..

What I asked was,
Why has the shift accelerated and when did this start.?
Will it continue to accelerate and at what rate.?
Or does it slow down and eventually reverse.?
Has it ever been this far off true north in recorded history.?

I obviously don't expect you to answer all that..
They are just what I'd like to know..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article posted on Dec 23, 2010‎
North and South Pole of Earth has moved

Each of approximately 200 thousand years, the two poles of the planet earth, north and south of each shift. Generally, the two poles shift takes thousands of years.

Scott Bogue, geologists from Occidental College and Jonathan Glen, researchers from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), who observed the lava in the area of Nevada which has 15 million years old.

The result, from the research, they discovered that the planet’s poles have shifted several times faster than normal speed. It happens at least one time.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
More good info:

www.pbs.org...

Also we say that this has happened MANY times in history of the planet, and that is not an exaggeration:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Can we try to put this magnetic pole shift into perspective.

WeedWhacker has stated that changes to runway designations happens often, for some reason a story was written about one of these changes at Tampa International and has been jumped on as some sort of proof of a sudden pole shift or something....

I'm hearing people say this explains why the birds are falling out of the sky and why fish are dying, HAARP is to blame, blah blah blah...

Ok some facts.

The magnetic pole moves, on average 85km's a day, it's not fixed, it actually moves in a oval shaped motion:

In 1831, the magnetic pole was located down on the 70th parallel, since then it has been moving north and at the last official survey in 2001 was on past the 80th parallel, this is when they measured the latest speed in which it has been moving, at these projected speed and direction, by 2050 it will pass back over geographic north pole and head south towards Siberia and be back on the 80th parallel.

This is important to know I think because I and I will hazard a guess that others too, probably thought the magnetic pole was a lot closer to the geographic pole then it actually is.

And when we read that it is sliding fast towards Siberia, it can sound a little worse than it really is.

These diagrams should hopefully explain a little better than I can:

More reading:

gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...
gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...
geography.about.com...
gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Star and Flag

I am at a loss for words......

This story definately checks out, plus earlier I read where Chinese scientist have announced this today as well

Butterflies in my stomach......this 2012 stuff is NO JOKE

Put ya seatbelts on folks.........

edit on 5-1-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks Chad, your diagrams show clearly that the sped of movement has increased 4 fold in recent years..
Will the acceleration continue?
Do we know why it accelerated in the first place?

It's reasonable to assume if they can't answer these questions then they really haven't a clue as to what's happening..
That's not to say I'm going to slip off the side in a year..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Here is an interesting article posted on Dec 23, 2010‎
North and South Pole of Earth has moved

Each of approximately 200 thousand years, the two poles of the planet earth, north and south of each shift. Generally, the two poles shift takes thousands of years.

Scott Bogue, geologists from Occidental College and Jonathan Glen, researchers from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), who observed the lava in the area of Nevada which has 15 million years old.

The result, from the research, they discovered that the planet’s poles have shifted several times faster than normal speed. It happens at least one time.

This is what (in part) has me so baffled. If this is NOT a common occurrence then how does science know or not know what the effect will be?

Has anyone calibrated the Chilean earthquake which altered the poles too into the equation? I wouldn't rule out Haiti's earthquake and the tsunami of 2004 too. So....have these events been factored in?

You can play arm-chair scientists all you want. But the most intelligent person would concede and say 'they simply don't know what is going to happen'.

Now to the animal die-off situation. Are some of you going to say that this might NOT be the result of what's being reported at Tampa? (although so many regular people have been saying this all week long)

We don't need an official report to know that the magnetic fields affect animals. And if this is as common of an occurrence as some of you say it is (and not that big of a deal) then, I would expect to hear about millions of animals dying at the same time a LOT more often!

It's okay to admit you don't know what's going on (or the implication thereof). Having all the answers all the time doesn't make you come off intelligent. In fact, it makes some of you look quite idiotic.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Question answered above (I should have looked at all the posts).

Question deleted.
edit on 5-1-2011 by nonnez because: uneccesary question

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by Human_Alien

Star and Flag

I am at a loss for words......

This story definately checks out, plus earlier I read where Chinese scientist have announced this today as well

Butterflies in my stomach......this 2012 stuff is NO JOKE

Put ya seatbelts on folks.........

edit on 5-1-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

Chinese scientists announced what? That Tampa is revamping their airport? If so, that's very suspicious.

And...I concur. We ain't see nothin' yet.
I know these doom-alerts have been around for quite a while and we've gotten pretty immune to them but....I think it's really becoming pretty evident to many of us now.

Between the instability of the economy, the unpredictability of the Sun and the wobble of Earth's poles, I don't know which one should come first. But may not have to worry about that because by the looks of things, it appears they're synchronizing to go off all together.

I feel badly for the animals. They're going to be so disoriented. I just hope I don't wake up to a water buffalo in my backyard one morning though.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I am not an expert in airport re-designation so I am not sure if this is a common occurrence. I suspect not.

Movement Of Earth's North Magnetic Pole Accelerating Rapidly
ScienceDaily (Dec. 9, 2005)

After some 400 years of relative stability, Earth's North Magnetic Pole has moved nearly 1,100 kilometers out into the Arctic Ocean during the last century and at its present rate could move from northern Canada to Siberia within the next half-century.

If that happens, Alaska may be in danger of losing one of its most stunning natural phenomena - the Northern Lights.

But the surprisingly rapid movement of the magnetic pole doesn't necessarily mean that our planet is going through a large-scale change that would result in the reversal of the Earth's magnetic field, Oregon State University paleomagnetist Joseph Stoner reported today at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco, Calif.

"This may be part of a normal oscillation and it will eventually migrate back toward Canada," said Stoner, an assistant professor in OSU's College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences. "There is a lot of variability in its movement."

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
Ok, my question would be, since when have the magnetic points changed their direction?

Since time began.... have a look at any decent map, and it will show the magnetic deviation. You also have to know the year the map was printed to work out the devistion to be applied

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

It's reasonable to assume if they can't answer these questions then they really haven't a clue as to what's happening..

No it's not reasonable to assume that at all.

I'm not too sure of the validity of this diagram but I'd like to see anyone try to predict how and where the magnetic pole will move next.

It's all a variable, fact is though, right now the magnetic pole is heading towards geographic pole, it is moving back to the centre and not sliding out of the arctic circle.

It could change speed and direction at any time.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

That is the biggest point of all of this right there.

With no cap on speed.
SnF

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe this will help you to understand what is happening at TIA..

Runway designations change over time because the magnetic poles slowly drift on the Earth's surface and the magnetic bearing will change. Depending on the airport location and how much drift takes place, it may be necessary over time to change the runway designation. As runways are designated with headings rounded to the nearest 10 degrees, this will affect some runways more than others. For example, if the magnetic heading of a runway is 233 degrees, it would be designated Runway 23. If the magnetic heading changed downwards by 5 degrees to 228, the Runway would still be Runway 23. If on the other hand the original magnetic heading was 226 (Runway 23), and the heading decreased by only 2 degrees to 224, the runway should become Runway 22. Because the drift itself is quite slow, runway designation changes are uncommon, and not welcomed, as they require an accompanying change in aeronautical charts and descriptive documents. When runway designations do change, especially at major airports, it is often changed overnight as taxiway signs need to be changed and the huge numbers at each end of the runway need to be repainted to the new runway designators. In July 2009 for example, London Stansted Airport in the United Kingdom changed its runway designations from 05/23 to 04/22 overnight.

wapedia.mobi...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Sorry but a pole Shift is likely and your wrong Chadwickus the Earth's Magnetic of the north has never moved liked this before.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

No it's not reasonable to assume that at all.

I'm not too sure of the validity of this diagram but I'd like to see anyone try to predict how and where the magnetic pole will move next.

It's all a variable, fact is though, right now the magnetic pole is heading towards geographic pole, it is moving back to the centre and not sliding out of the arctic circle.

No offence Chad but

Your post makes NO sense other than to confirm what I said..
That is "they don't know why it's happening or if it will continue to speed up or stop"

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for that. I remember vividly reading about that and it wasn't really mentioned again.

The frustrating and ironic reality to this whole thing is....for many of us (the novice of the world) we've come to depend on others to tell us what's what..... particularity when it comes to science. After all, they're the ones who own the equipment, reports, data, core samples, telescopes etc.

And as we're realizing our crucial dependency on THEM, we're also realizing that THEY' are being told what and what not to feed us. We know this is true. There's no denying that.

So? Do they know more about what's going on? Of course they do.

Do they know what killed those Blackbirds (which started the whole chain reaction) in Arkansas? Most probably by now.
Would, could they ever tell us, we're in danger? Absolutely not. That would cause mass rioting etc.

So, we sit back in this chaotic-state-of-being...waiting for that ONE significant sign that will signal something. We're all expecting something.....and we're all seeing (and sensing) something but we're still at a loss because.....we're novices.

So at some point we're going to have to trust our instincts because there is no one to help. Only harm. Like the debunkers who patrol this forum. It's quite obvious isn't it?

I wonder how much longer can we sit at the edge of our seats before we literally fall off?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
So if I were some one who loved glory. I might be tempted to predict this effecting the bigger birds next?

I don't think I would be jumping on any planes right now . HELLO!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Seems I misread you, no there is no way of knowing exactly what will happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join