Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well whoopdeedoo!! CNN has just reported Earths magnetic poles impact Tampa Airport. Little late guys, geesh.
news.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I still cant even see what the big deal here was anyways. The poles always move around some, and it turns out that an international airport had to adjust its runway numbers for the new magnetic heading due to rounding. I can understand people not in aviation understanding how runway numbering works, but to still make a big story like it is something significant, is well misleading

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
no need for 37 pages of discuttion on this,it is gradual,it always have happened,and will "always" happen.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
More info from my research of the ever increasing rate of movement of our magnetic poles.

From 1831-1904 (73 years) it moved approx 90 miles at a rate of 1.24 Mile Per Year
From 1904-1948 (44 years) it moved approx 205 miles at a rate of 4.66 MPY
From 1948-1962 (14 years) it moved approx 90 miles at a rate of 6.42 MPY
From 1962-1973 (11 years) it moved approx 80 miles at a rate of 7.27 MPY
From 1973-1984 (11 years) it moved approx 75 miles at a rate of 6.82 MPY
From 1984-1994 (10 years) it moved approx 80 miles at a rate of 8.00 MPY
From 1994-2001 (7 years) it moved approx 220 miles at a rate of 31.43 MPY
From 2001-2004 (3 years) it moved approx 75 miles at a rate of 25.00 MPY
From 2004-2005 (1 year) it moved approx 30 miles at a rate of 30.00 MPY
From 2005-2010 (5 years) it moved approx 210 miles at a rate of 42.00 MPY

Clearly we see a trend of increasing rate. We are currently experiencing the fastest magnetic pole movement in at least the last 420 years.

I compiled this data by using the images shown and adding them to my already existing plot shown earlier in this thread, and the data from that was used from wiki and plotting them on Google earth. Creating a path and measuring each segment. I give the error of the each individual segment at about +/- 5 miles... the resulting effect on the Miles Per Year would be negligible and would still show an ever increasing rate of movement.

Sources:
Great page full of info and images about magnetic north

also

Wiki: Magnetic North
edit on (1/13/11) by AllSeeingI because: sources

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

great post!, very useful info right there.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Spoke to my daughter in Fort Lauderdale a few hours ago regarding the Tampa airport closure and she asked why they would ONLY close that airport and not others around the globe.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantien
Spoke to my daughter in Fort Lauderdale a few hours ago regarding the Tampa airport closure and she asked why they would ONLY close that airport and not others around the globe.

Because not every airport is affected the same. Every place has some degree of magnetic declination, the different from true north to magnetic north.

And as was explained in this thread, every airport using the same kind of numbering, where it is rounded to the nearest tens of degrees and then the zero is cut off. If the runway heading is 344, it would be runway 34, but it just takes a change of one degree of magnetic heading, and its now runway 35. But if it was a heading of 342, it would still be runway 34.

This does happen to other airports, its just not usually newsworthy. And Tampa did not close the entire airport either, just one of the runways.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Nice work, but are they miles or klms?
I only ask because I've seen the mistake made before..
Not that it effects the overall increase if all is in the same measurement..
But you know how some jump on little things..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantien

I am a pilot in the USA. I can tell you about airport runway numbers and why some are affected and others are not.

Runway numbers are taken from the directional degree heading and rounded to the closest 10 degrees out of the 360 degree directional spectrum. With North being 360, east is 090, south is 180, west is 270.

If I had a runway layed out facing the direction of east (090 degrees) the runway number would be 9. If the runway was lined up facing south, (180 degrees) the runway would be 18.

Now runways are laid out in every direction for many reasons that vary from airport to airport. Somewhere in the world there is a runway that accounts for every degree possible.

If a runway is laid out facing a directional heading of 278 degree.... the number would be rounded to 280 and the runway would therefore be runway 28.

What happens when airports like Tampa need to change is because of the rounding to the nearest 10th degree. For example... a runway at heading 255 would be runway 25.... but if the magnetic pole eventually moves enough , as it does over time, the heading of the runway could change by a single heading degree and become heading 256 and now the runway would need to be called runway 26 because rounding to the nearest 10th would be heading 260.

That is how a single directional heading degree change can force an airport to rename a runway.

also.... this from wiki... RUNWAYS

Runways are named by a number between 01 and 36, which is generally one tenth of the magnetic azimuth of the runway's heading: a runway numbered 09 points east (90°), runway 18 is south (180°), runway 27 points west (270°) and runway 36 points to the north (360° rather than 0°).[1] However, runways in North America that lie within the Northern Domestic Airspace of Canada are numbered relative to true north because proximity to the magnetic North Pole makes the magnetic declination large.[2] A runway can normally be used in both directions, and is named for each direction separately: e.g., "runway 33" in one direction is "runway 15" when used in the other. The two numbers always differ by 18 (= 180°).
El Dorado International Airport, Runway 31R/13L

If there is more than one runway pointing in the same direction (parallel runways), each runway is identified by appending Left (L), Center (C) and Right (R) to the number — for example, Runways One Five Left (15L), One Five Center (15C), and One Five Right (15R). Runway Zero Three Left (03L) becomes Runway Two One Right (21R) when used in the opposite direction (derived from adding 18 to the original number for the 180 degrees when approaching from the opposite direction).

edit on (1/13/11) by AllSeeingI because: added info
edit on (1/13/11) by AllSeeingI because: format
edit on (1/13/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Those are miles confirmed. Im still living in the ol backward usa.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I had to go on vacation with the wife, but what did I miss? Are we still headed towards the end of the world as we know it? Are our poles still swapping and going to kill us all or have "we" moved onto something else to scream about?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I thought a shift would take place over 1,000s of years?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
I thought a shift would take place over 1,000s of years?

Out-dated scientific dogma. Scientists and authorities are starting to back-pedal rather furiously. Recently released info shows that the North Pole's speed of movement increased from about 9 miles per year to 40 miles per year somewhere between 1994 and 2000.

The National Geomagnetic Program of Geological Survey of Canada monitors the movement of the north magnetic pole and most recently determined its precise location in 1994. They've determined that the pole is moving at approximately 9 miles (15 kilometers) each year.

The North Magnetic Pole moves slowly over time due to magnetic changes in the Earth's core. In 2001, it was determined by the Geological Survey of Canada to lie near Ellesmere Island in northern Canada at 81.3°N 110.8°W. It was estimated to be at 82.7°N 114.4°W in 2005. In 2009, it was moving toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 km) per year.

This changes what was being taught in schools, but most countries' educational systems have still not updated their curriculum...

For example, a current Fact Sheet from the Government of Australia says both pole positions can wander up to 10 km per year.

The north magnetic pole is currently situated near Bathurst Island in northern Canada, about 1600 km from the North Pole. The south magnetic pole is near the Adélie Coast on the continent of Antarctica, about 2600 km from the South Pole. Both pole positions can wander up to 10 km per year.

Source: Government of Australia, worsleyschool.net, Fact Sheet #8: Magnetism on Earth

Some educators and PR people are trying to say, "Oh yeah, but it's been going on for a while," like the National Earth Science Teachers Association of America:

As of 2005, the North Magnetic Pole was located in the Arctic Ocean north of Canada about 810 km (503 miles) from the Geographic North Pole. The South Magnetic Pole was just off the coast of Antarctica, in the direction of Australia, about 2,826 km (1,756 miles) from the Geographic South Pole.

During the first part of the 20th century, the North Magnetic Pole moved an average of about 9 km (5.6 miles) per year. Around 1970 it speeded up dramatically, and has been moving about 41 km (25 miles) per year in recent years.

Earth's Magnetic Poles, Last modified August 22, 2007

Are authorities re-writing history right now? Changing the "last modified" dates as we speak? Releasing a bit of information at a time, when they can't avoid it? ...Not sure. But I do know the story keeps changing - which tells me we're all out of the loop, and relying on liars for our "facts."

edit on 14/1/11 by soficrow because: typos

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
good i hope the world flips upside down!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Are authorities re-writing history right now? Changing the "last modified" dates as we speak? Releasing a bit of information at a time, when they can't avoid it? ...Not sure. But I do know the story keeps changing - which tells me we're all out of the loop, and relying on liars for our "facts."

Solar Wind Loses Power, Hits 50-year Low
science.nasa.gov...

Scientists answer...

"What we're seeing is a long term trend, a steady decrease in pressure that began sometime in the mid-1990s," explains Arik Posner, NASA's Ulysses Program Scientist in Washington DC.

How unusual is this event?

"It's hard to say. We've only been monitoring solar wind since the early years of the Space Age—from the early 60s to the present," says Posner. "Over that period of time, it's unique. How the event stands out over centuries or millennia, however, is anybodys guess. We don't have data going back that far."

So they DON'T KNOW...

Not only that but...

"The solar wind isn't inflating the heliosphere as much as it used to," says McComas. "That means less shielding against cosmic rays."

In addition to weakened solar wind, "Ulysses also finds that the sun's underlying magnetic field has weakened by more than 30% since the mid-1990s," says Posner. "This reduces natural shielding even more."

Unpublished Ulysses cosmic ray data show that, indeed, high energy (GeV) electrons, a minor but telltale component of cosmic rays around Earth, have jumped in number by about 20%.

These extra particles pose no threat to people on Earth's surface. Our thick atmosphere and planetary magnetic field provide additional layers of protection that keep us safe.

But any extra cosmic rays can have consequences. If the trend continues, astronauts on the Moon or en route to Mars would get a higher dose of space radiation. Robotic space probes and satellites in high Earth orbit face an increased risk of instrument malfunctions and reboots due to cosmic ray strikes. Also, there are controversial studies linking cosmic ray fluxes to cloudiness and climate change on Earth. That link may be tested in the years ahead.

So Space flight may be at risk... all that radiation

Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field Discovered

Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics.

science.nasa.gov...

So yeah... they are rewriting the books
THEY DON'T KNOW

"The opening was huge—four times wider than Earth itself," says Wenhui Li, a space physicist at the University of New Hampshire who has been analyzing the data. Li's colleague Jimmy Raeder, also of New Hampshire, says "1027 particles per second were flowing into the magnetosphere—that's a 1 followed by 27 zeros. This kind of influx is an order of magnitude greater than what we thought was possible."

The event began with little warning when a gentle gust of solar wind delivered a bundle of magnetic fields from the Sun to Earth. Like an octopus wrapping its tentacles around a big clam, solar magnetic fields draped themselves around the magnetosphere and cracked it open. The cracking was accomplished by means of a process called "magnetic reconnection." High above Earth's poles, solar and terrestrial magnetic fields linked up (reconnected) to form conduits for solar wind. Conduits over the Arctic and Antarctic quickly expanded; within minutes they overlapped over Earth's equator to create the biggest magnetic breach ever recorded by Earth-orbiting spacecraft.

"Chicken Little"? Looks to me like "Houston we have a problem!"

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I know 'they don't know.' But others here have many different 'knowledge bases.' ...stumason says he learned about rapidly moving shifts in high school over 10 years ago - and so concludes that everyone else should know too. On another related thread, pilgrum insists magnetic compasses are changing only by about 1 degree per decade or less as a result of the movement.

My post above was meant to clarify that a) the info is new, and b) conflicting and contradictory information abounds, even from legitimate sources.

For example an American Teachers Association contradicts the Government of Australia's online support to teachers, which contradicts report from Scientific American:

…During the first part of the 20th century, the North Magnetic Pole moved an average of about 9 km (5.6 miles) per year. Around 1970 it speeded up dramatically, and has been moving about 41 km (25 miles) per year in recent years.

A current Fact Sheet from the Government of Australia says both pole positions only wander up to 10 km per year.

Both pole positions can wander up to 10 km per year.

Scientific American says the acceleration occurred in the 1990's:

...in the 1990s, it picked up speed in a big way, bolting north–northwest into the Arctic Ocean at more than 55 kilometers per year.

These are the sort of inconsistencies that concern me. ...In some cases, it's simply a matter of the "lag time" between discovery and publication, but in other cases the motives seem manipulative.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Mental Illness On Display.

Is that yet another video made by COLLEEN????

Fail....sorry.....

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You don't even know who you're criticizing which tells me (and the rest) your EXACT agenda!

By the way, I'd listen to Colleen (who this is NOT) way before I'd listen to an automatic thread-debunker.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join