It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon to a parking lot near you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The green police Nazis are gonna have a field day with this. They're already going up in Florida.

Right now, its bad enough walking past all those empty Handicapped parking spots, next we'll have to walk past dozens of empty rows of these to get to the store. What a workout!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51b065b3231a.jpg[/atsimg]

"Green" Companies Assign Priority "Hybrid-Only" Parking

In yet another effort to “go green," a number of businesses in Orlando, Florida, have assigned priority parking — similar to handicapped parking – to drivers of hybrid vehicles.

The Blaze writes:
An increasing number of Orlando buildings and venues are instituting front-row hybrid-only parking spaces in an attempt to earn "green" building status and reward car owners considered environmentally friendly. Places like the University of Central Florida, Ikea in South Orlando, and the Amway Center are just a few who are giving hybrids preferential treatment.

Florida’s SunSentinel.com snipes:

As though owners of hybrid vehicles aren’t imperious enough with their 50-plus miles to the gallon, green-construction proponents are now reserving front-row parking spaces for such drivers at a growing number of buildings.

As of now, the hybrid parking spots are not going to be policed for violators, so defenders of the parking spaces are hopeful that the public will comply amicably.

Jon Ippel, Orlando’s sustainability manager, states, “Right now this is a promotional thing, so I don’t think we’re seeing enforcement. It’s more peer pressure. Hopefully, the evil eyes violators get will force them to comply.”

Critics of the green parking spaces view them as preferential treatment for more affluent drivers who are able to afford the increased costs of hybrid vehicles. Alexa Stone, program manager for ecoPreserve LLC, an Orlando consulting firm, remarks, “I have heard that some people don’t like it because they question whether it’s fair. They think hybrids are expensive and elitist.”

The New American

Sure it's only a peer pressure thing right now but, how long before our ever more liberal brainwashed legislatures put some teeth into those signs and we start getting tickets for parking there?

The critics have a point too; nobody can afford these things but the wealthy. Either all those spots will go to waste like the overabundance of handicapped spots or they will become special privileged parking spaces for the wealthy only, another way for them to lord it over us commoners.

I can't wait 'till they go up in my area so I can park my smelly old Expedition in the very first "Green Only" spot, right up near the front of the building.

edit on 1/5/11 by FortAnthem because:
:w:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
S&F! Interesting find. Another example of how they stick it to you sideways( the 'soft kill' approach) with this kind of stuff. I'm always left to wonder if anyone really thinks out the long-term consequences of these kinds of actions?

I guess this goes hand-in-hand with the spike in oil prices. Force people to buy cars they can't afford to help keep the antiquated,bloated car industry going and generate some more revenue off the ordinance violations in the process. The old double-wammy. Look for more of these kinds of shenanigans as the government struggles for more creative ways to raise money.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I will be driving my 2000 gas guzzling Tahoe right up to those signs. just another way tptb are forcing us to do thier bidding.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
im going to get a mule specifically to park in the "hybrid" only zone. they didnt specify what kind of hybrid, and i dont know many people using oats as a fuel, so its definitely alternative

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
parking a mule would be awesome....lol.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
I will be driving my 2000 gas guzzling Tahoe right up to those signs. just another way tptb are forcing us to do thier bidding.

The problem is; all those "tolerant" eco-friendly liberals tend to get violent when you cross their agenda, then all their tolerance goes out the window and the next thing you know, your Tahoe is all keyed up and you have four flat tires.

HURRAY for TOLERANCE!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
So? It's a promotional deal. There is no enforcement behind it unless it's part of city-code. Park there and smirk and the guy in the Prius that didn't get there first. Actually, I'm not knocking green/electric vehicles. They have a place, just as every other vehicle does. It's a choice, just as any other...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have a 6.6 litre 350HP Silverado 2500HD Duramax extended cab pickup. By virtue of its diesel fuel I can run biodiesel, 100% soybean oil. That qualifies as an 'alternative fuel vehicle.' Thanks for the parking space.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't think that would be right..

I am all for handicapped parking, and VIP parking (paying extra for a good spot)

This would be taking it way to far..

Why should someone who *chooses* to drive a hybrid be any
different from someone who *chooses* to drive a non-hybrid..

Might as well have a *WHITES ONLY* sign....

Well, you get the idea...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Yep, its just another way for our "color blind" society to find new ways to separate us into little groups and find new ways to discriminate against groups they don't approve of.

You gotta love the hypocrisy of liberalism; we have to be tolerant of everyone except those who don't agree with their agenda.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Say what new spots to stick my shopping buggy. Cool.
I usually park towards the middle for older shoppers to get front parking spaces anyhow but I will stick my buggy in those spots now when I see those signs here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Either all those spots will go to waste like the overabundance of handicapped spots

As one who uses those handicapped spots...please...let me see your vehicle parked there without a pass. I just love dropping a dime on them.

Sorry...you're seeing the wave of the future. Green Nazis, indeed!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone would have a problem with handicapped spaced,or hybrid car only spaces.....

Unless one is just so lazy,the little bitty walk makes the tired out.

Amazing,the things people bitch about nowadays......

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well that is ridiculous.

What's stupid is that there are more eco friendly and fuel efficient cars out there than hybrids.

God I hate hybrids, the Southpark episode on them was right on track.

Here in Australia (and probably the UK), the Ford Fiesta econetic is half the cost of a prius and is more fuel effecient and it actually looks good too!

Here's an article which shows the farce of electric/hybrid cars:

Forget hybrid cars and electric vehicles; two of Australia’s fastest, thirstiest cars are on target to win a controversial 3000km economy run from Darwin to Adelaide.

The two thirstiest, most powerful cars in the field are on track to win the Global Green Challenge, an environmentally focussed fuel economy run from Darwin to Adelaide.

Two of the fastest cars ever produced in Australia – the HSV Maloo R8 and Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo – are first and second in the 14-car “Eco Challenge” field.

They’re on track to beat a fleet of fuel misers and even an electric car, which must be followed by a fuel sucking truck that’s likely to use as much fuel as six of the fuel misers fighting for line honours.

The most frugal car in the field – the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic – has a claimed fuel figure of 3.7L/100km and is using less than 3.2L/100km on the predominantly open road route.

However, that’s an improvement of only 15 per cent over its official claimed fuel figure, meaning that while the diesel powered Fiesta will likely use the least fuel on the event – possibly less than 100 litres across the 3000km course – it’s unlikely to win the challenge.

The only electric car in the field – there’s a separate World Solar Challenge running in conjunction with the Eco Challenge – is the US-made Tesla roadster.

However, the Tesla needs to be followed by a trayback truck carrying a high-voltage generator that needs to charge the electric car every 350km.

The truck is expected to consume more than 20 litres of fuel per 100km – triple that of the HSV Maloo – and around 700 litres over the 3000km course.

And that’s before you consider the diesel used by the generator as it charges the Tesla.

Organisers defend the Tesla’s green performance by saying the Tesla driver – internet entrepreneur Simon Hackett – is using the exercise to encourage governments to develop electric car recharging networks.

“Tesla is demonstrating that if electric fuel stations were available that it is entirely feasible and practical for a car of that nature to travel vast distances,” said Drewer.

Link

The last bolded part made me laugh, what a ridiculous idea it would be to have a network of electric car recharge points every 350km out in the Australian outback!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I could see that happening if it were for cars to hook up to an electrical outlet for charging. No big deal in that case.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Either all those spots will go to waste like the overabundance of handicapped spots

As one who uses those handicapped spots...please...let me see your vehicle parked there without a pass. I just love dropping a dime on them.

Sorry...you're seeing the wave of the future. Green Nazis, indeed!

I don't have a problem with handicapped spots, its just that some places REALLY over do it with them. Some stores I have to walk half a block past handicapped spots just to get to the store! What's worse; most of them are empty spaces.

I hear this has something to do with government mandating that a certain percentage of parking spaces have to be handicapped but, in the really big mall parking lots, it gets ridiculous. The only time they really get filled is during the holiday season. But, don't worry, I would never think of parking in one of those spots just in case somebody who's handicapped really needs it.

The green spots are a different story. Most people can't afford to drop 30K for a new hybrid which is the equivalent of a car half its price. These spaces will turn into another perk for the wealthy, who can afford to eat better than I can and may need the exercise more than a hard working guy like me does.

But, then again, they can afford gym memberships too, another luxury I don't have.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

I could see that happening if it were for cars to hook up to an electrical outlet for charging. No big deal in that case.

That I could see but, not right up front as some type of reward though.

Plus, you gotta figure, they aren't going to provide that electricity for free; there would have to be some sort of payment system attached to the chargers. I can't see many companies spending the money for something like that if most people can't afford the cars that would use it.

Maybe when they hit the used car market in 5-10 years, the average Joe will be able to afford them but, not anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Valid points, but it is probably easier to run the power closer to buildings, hence them being up front. I would expect the hookup to be like a vending machine, $5 gets you a 3 hour charge or something like that. Again you would want those up close to view them easier.

By no means should they be closer or replace handicapped spots.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I respect the handicap parking, but I won't be respecting something like this unless it's enforced by law or will result in my vehicle being towed. I'm sure many more people would have hybrids if they were actually affordable. It's just another way to try to make those of us who are relatively poor feel inferior.

top topics

join