It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illnesses linked to BP oil disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Illnesses linked to BP oil disaster

english.aljazeera.net

Independent scientists and activist groups have been carrying out their own blood testing of Gulf Coast residents.

Recent results released in a report involve a 46-year-old male who lives 100 miles from the coast. The man, who asked to remain anonymous, was not a BP cleanup worker, yet tested as having higher levels of chemicals from BP's oil in his blood than the actual cleanup workers.

Dr. Wilma Subra, a chemist and Mcarthur Fellow, analysed his blood and found the highest levels of ethylbenzene than anyone tested to date. Ethylbenzene is a form of benzene present in the body when it
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Even though the BP *disaster*? happened over half a year ago, MDs' are finding, and treating high levels of Volatile Organic Compounds in the humans that they are currently intaking...and this appears to be getting more severe and more vast than those thought originally exposed.

IF this is the case, imagine the outcomes for those *smaller* than humans; namely, the wonderful lives of our oceans and skies.

"It's criminal for the government to tell people to eat the contaminated seafood, and that it's alright for people go to our toxic beaches and swim in the contaminated water," Dr. Soto concluded, "This crisis has to be taken seriously by the government and health care community."

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: spelling...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
nothing is gonna happen they dont give a damn about these people.
as long as there is money in for all these f.... they dont give a s...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by macG84

Gulf Coast residents and BP cleanup workers have linked the source of certain illnesses to chemicals present in BP's oil and the toxic dispersants used to sink it - illnesses that appear to be both spreading and worsening.

Dr. Rodney Soto, a medical doctor in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, has been testing and treating patients with high levels of oil-related chemicals in their blood stream. These are commonly referred to as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's). Anthropogenic VOC's from BP's oil disaster are toxic and have negative chronic health effects.

Dr. Soto is finding disconcertingly consistent and high levels of toxic chemicals in every one of the patients he is testing.

"I'm regularly finding between five and seven VOCs in my patients," Dr. Soto told Al Jazeera. "These patients include people not directly involved in the oil clean-up, as well as residents that do not live right on the coast. These are clearly related to the oil disaster."

I am generally very conservative when it comes to law-suits.

In this case, I say GO FOR IT....be it BP or the lax govt.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

This is just scary, the man didn't even have anything to do with the cleanup! I live in northeast alabama and now I'm starting to wonder how far this may spread. Thank god I hate seafood

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by strawberry91

The headline is actually mild in comparison to the the original news sources headlines, due to ATS breaking news standards:

Doctor attributes widespread sickness to toxic chemicals from the Gulf of Mexico catastrophe.

AND:

"A cough that won't go away"....

Not to mention the cancer levels; I urge everyone to read the original article for more information....

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I feel very bad for people living there. I cannot believe that all that oil is just gone now, and everything is safe to eat.

I found this video of another toxicologist talking about the level of chemicals from the crude oil being found in blood samples and the effects the chemicals have on the human body.

www.youtube.com...

S&F for you. This subject does not get much light even on ATS.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

Many thanks to you, nottheonlyone, for your important contribution...

I, for one, am concerned because my niece *conceived* in the area; is due this spring, and I wonder what the future holds for her daughter/son...

Still *all here, * if this is happening to humans, imagine what it does to our more fragile sea and airborne creatures who *don't* have the option of relocation, or what it does to our larger eco-systems in general, via jet-streams, storm sturges and the like...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

This is making me wonder...there seem to be a lot of people getting sick here, my brother has been coughing up mucus with blood for about 2 weeks...my father is sick too. Maybe its just the flu but I'm not sure...I don't eat the same things they do.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by strawberry91

Well, it is the flu-time of the year, and I am *not* an MD... I kind of stumbled on the article while visiting one of my regular reading sites.

However, if it were me or one of my family members that had a lingering illness, I would certainly print and/or make a copy of the article, and ask for the correct tests to be conducted via the medical professionals.

Better to err on the side of caution, I think.

Best wishes to you and your family.

join