It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Ghosts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
On all the major ghost hunting websites (such as www.theshadowlands.net... , as a random example) all the famous hauntings listed are at least from World War II, and back several hundred years after that.

Which makes sense to a degree, of course -- since ghosts are the spirits of dead people who died in tragic ways before their spirits were ready to leave this plane of reality -- but shouldn't there be some modern places that are very haunted now? Where modern tragedies have occured?

A few random examples:

The Columbine High School in Colorado -- Not only did a horrible tragedy happen there, but the library where the majority of the bloodshed occured has been permanantly sealed off! That sounds like a prescription for a haunting to me... and yet, I've heard nothing about ghosts there.

The World Trade Center site in New York -- One of the great global tragedies of human history happened here not 3 years ago. Given the scale of the massive loss of life and the destruction of property (two skyscrapers!), shouldn't this now be one of the most haunted places on Earth? I've read nothing about rescue workers or cleanup workers seeing any ghosts at Ground Zero... much less hundreds of ghosts, like one might expect!

Other sites I wonder about include:
-the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania
-hundreds of locations in Israel... take your pick
-any earthquake, hurricane, or natural disaster that killed several, dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of people, such as the 1989 California USA earthquake or the Iran 2003 earthquake...

What do you think? My curiosity on this subject has been nagging me for the longest time, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
TC,

So-called "modern ghosts" don't have the same frame of reference. Society moves much more quickly these days and old houses and old institutions (which are falling apart) don't have the appeal that they used to have.

The people that were murdered at Columbine High School probably find greater solace in being around their former incarnate family than at the school. If entire families were killed then there would be a greater chance of hauntings at the school.

The people that were murdered at the World Trade Center probably also find greater peace in places other than in that area. However, due to the sheer number that were killed there, if the WTC were still standing, I am sure that there would be reported hauntings.

If you were in the spirit and wanted to hang out with a lot of other basically spiritual people, you would choose places that have pleasant surroundings and that also have a shared history attached to them.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Check that Shadowlands site a bit more closely.

Ground Zero IS haunted. There have even been sightings of phantom twin towers as well as firefighters, etc. Where flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania (also on 9/11) is very haunted. Shanksville I think it was. Check Shanksville Pennsylvania on Shadowlands as well as ground zero in NYC.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
well i don't know about columbine or any other places of major disasters, since I have never visited them....but the WTC site, Ground Zero, definitely has a vibe. On both of my visits to the site, I have experienced "vibes" to suggest that there are "presences" there. Granted the site alone because of the magnitude of the event, can give you the goosebumps and bring forward emotions, but there is definitely more going on there. However there is so much life in and around the area, that if you are not extremely sensitive to the supernatural, you will not feel much.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I am sure that there are indeed many vibes at Ground Zero.

But it is definitely not a place that I would seek to find peace.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I always thought that ghosts were drawn to an area, of where they have yet to complete there business, this is why everest is meant to be quiet haunted since so many climbers have died and there bodied never found, thus they never completed their attempt at the mountain.

So why would the people who died in such event linger at the site to which they died unless they had some unfinished business. BTW let me know if what I said is wrong, cos what I am going on is based on something I once saw on tv years ago :S

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
IMO, there could be a number of reasons why people on the other side linger at a particular place. One could be simply because it holds a special significance in the hearts and minds of people. Another reason would be, as you say, because of past trauma and the need to work something out there.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Check that Shadowlands site a bit more closely.

Ground Zero IS haunted. There have even been sightings of phantom twin towers as well as firefighters, etc. Where flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania (also on 9/11) is very haunted. Shanksville I think it was. Check Shanksville Pennsylvania on Shadowlands as well as ground zero in NYC.

You're right, I did miss that!
The Shadowlands is a cool website, and it's edited and updated often. That's why I probably missed it. LOL

I'm surprised that they're going to build a new, single giant skyscraper at the WTC site. I bet there are literally a couple of thousand spirits there, just waiting for a buliding to go up there to inhabit. They should have just built a memorial to those who died at the site and let it be.
I have a feeling it'll be hard to rent out office space in this new skyscraper once it's completed, not only due to fear of a future terrorist attack, but because there will be more ghosts in the buliding than on a late-night horror movie!

The way I understood the most accepted theories on ghosts -- that they are spirits of people whose lives were cut tragically short before they were able to leave this plane of existence -- also includes that they haunt the place where they experienced the trauma of their tragic death. That's why your typical haunted house is haunted by the ghosts of the people who were died tragically in the house -- otherwise, the ghost of the person would be haunting the place that brought them the most peace, like their childhood home for example, instead of the house they died in.

I just thought of another possibly modern haunted place -- how about the federal building site in Oklahoma City, OK, where a couple of hundred people met a horrible death in 1995?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The Federal Building in Oklahoma -

I know that while half the building was standing, the rescue workers and fire fighters all said that it had to come down, not just because it was unsafe and that sort of thing. They said it 'HAD to come down ... walking through there ... strange things happining .... strange feelings ... it HAD to come down'.

That's the only ghost like thing I have heard of connected with Oklahoma City. I remember VERY CLEARLY these people talking about something not right ... spiritually.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
TBH, I think I remember reading something about The Federal Building having eyewitnesses of ghosts there, It would make sense to have them linger there, However there is something that is perplexing me about this modern ghost idea, how is there isnt many reportings of them throughout the world ? You hear about those ancient people being seen yet there is little about modern ghosts. Could it be down to the fact it takes time for these spirits to come back to this plain of existance ?

new topics

top topics

join