It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 million fish mysteriously die in Maryland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Source

The Maryland Department of the Environment is investigating the deaths of tens of thousands of small fish that have died in the Chesapeake Bay in the past week.

“An estimated 2 million fish have been reported dead from the Bay Bridge south to Tangier Sound, according to the Maryland Department of the Environment, which investigates fish kills,” reports the Baltimore Sun.

The massive fish kill follows the recent death of over 100,000 drum found along the banks of the Arkansas River near the city of Ozark, 125 miles northwest from the capital city of Little Rock, as reported by Digital Journal.

Also puzzling scientists and environmentalists are the reports of red-wing blackbirds mysteriously falling from the sky in Arkansas compounded by news of hundreds of blackbirds dying in neighboring Louisiana.

A Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) spokesman, Dawn Stolzfus, said that the giant fish kill, consisted mostly of croakers but also included menhayden and spots. The massive fish kill reportedly occurred because of cold water stress in the bay, where temps have dropped rapidly to about 2 degrees Celsius, according to the Washington Post.

ok, At what point do we start to get concerned that something is up.

And, why is the news being pretty quiet about this overall? I dont remember El Nino having such dramatic effects on fish and birds before...

Time for me to complete my paranoia by watching some sci-fi disaster movies I guess since there is no real coherent discussion going on. If all else fails, flip on sci-fi.

Any thoughts? Is it time to watch for the 4 horsemen or is this just some natural cycle we go through now and again and its simply being overly reported...
edit on 5-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Things like this do happen every once in a while. The fact that this happened just after all the other reports, though, really seems a bit off. I can no longer just shrug this phenomena off as coincidence. It seems something wicked this way comes.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Things will only get worse, before they get better.
You ain't seen nothin yet.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

This is too much of a coincidence. I can't see how anyone can justify this as being normal with so many incidents happening within a few days of each other. You really have to question if our media is being controlled when they're devoting such a small amount of airtime to this.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This is nothing a few isolated incedents. I started a thread HERE and have not gotten any responses. There are no other things going on except for what the mainstream media has told us. Don't believe it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
the spirits could be leaving these animals hence the sudden die-off. if it spreads to land animals then we have a problem. "all the faithful will be free and the wicked will remain" but thats a fantasy of sorts

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i just can't shake the feeling that this has something to do with the magnetic field.

There is some research suggesting that before a major earthquake there is a disruption in the magnetic field which could throw off the birds inner compass or whatever. Just a theory though and for the life of me i can't figure out the fish though.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by amadeus30

Yep, it's called geomagnetism. My thoughts are same too since in another post about leylines, I noticed the mass death's proximity to coast lines which are places also rife with geomagnetism.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
reply to post by amadeus30

Yep, it's called geomagnetism. My thoughts are same too since in another post about leylines, I noticed the mass death's proximity to coast lines which are places also rife with geomagnetism.

Do you think this would affect the fish too? I've been thinking hard on the fish thing and i'm drawing a blank..which happens quite often

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If it was natural then-

Disease: then the reports wouldn't span continents in multiple locations.
They would also not all die within an hour of each other, and if the disease was that bad, wouldn't it be even worse?\

Weather: Wouldn't there be evidence of past occurrences, maybe there is, but the number of places this has happened and the different climates of those places tells me otherwise.

Fireworks: now come on, when was the last 4rth of july that you remember thousands of birds dieing?

Gun Fire/Birds running into each other: Right, So when people fired guns on new years those birds just up and had a heart attack, gee I wonder why you don't see pictures of thousands of dead birds in Iraq or even Mexico, they fire guns in the air a lot more than we do.

Seismic Activity: This is defiantly a possibility, but unlikely because of the multiple places it has happened.

Astrological/Earth Magnetic Change: If it is Natural, this would be your best bet.

My opinion: Man Made! HAAPR or something similar to that.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have the answer.
Here it is:

Coldest Water in World Kills 2M Chesapeake Bay Fish
In my blog about the Arkansas Bird Kill on Radar, I talked about a fish kill in Louisiana that probably wasn't related (and why). The death of 2,000,000 fish yesterday in the Chesapeake Bay, however, was definitely caused by weather -- the coldest water compared to normal (for this time of year) in the entire world!

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources reported yesterday that "an estimated 2 million fish have been reported dead in the Chesapeake Bay from the Bay Bridge south to Tangier Sound, according to the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE)." This story has been widely distributed by the media, with many references to a similar kill in Louisiana two days before the Arkansas Bird Kill.

The MD DNR image above shows that nearly every station in the Chesapeake hit a 25-year low average water temperature for the month, and the graph (red squares) shows how far some stations went below normal (blue dots) in 2010, and below all historical records (yellow area). In fact if you look at a sea-surface temperature anomaly map for the entire world, the only other area which shows these types of anomalies is the northwest coast of Florida. Nowhere was colder than normal than those areas.

Current actual water temperatures in the Bay range from 2-7 degrees C (F). The reason for this cooling is self-evident -- the area experienced an extremely cold December compared to normal, as low as 9.1 degrees below normal, a level that is rare. Below is a plot of average temperatures compared to normal for the month.
P.S.: MSNBC says that more manatees died in cold Florida waters in 2010 than ever before.

www.accuweather.com...

Global warming? I think not!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I think this answer makes most sense but your climate denial could use a healthy dose of skepticism. First off, 2010 was abnormally warm until around November in most parts of the world. Then it turned extremely cold in some areas. Global warming, or as it's better understood climate change, reflects these violent swings and much more of what we're seeing going on in the world.

Here's a nice article you may find interesting:

NOAA reports 2010 hottest year on record so far, while Arctic sea ice extent hits a stunning December Low
edit on 6-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

ok, At what point do we start to get concerned that something is up.

No time like the present. I'm officially freaked out.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yes, I know about the NOAA piece. Unfortunately, NOAA decided to use only 1/4th of the weather reporting stations that used to be factored in, when they came up with that figure.
Furthermore, factoring in the rest of the year, and 2010 is not the warmest.
In fact, if you look at the link I provided, you'll see HOW cold the Chesapeake area was, compared to normal. Most of the waters were 7 degrees BELOW normal. Once you understand the temperature delay of water, you'll understand that the figures NOAA quoted cannot be true. I can take selective 25% of the reporting stations, and make any claim that I want. You also need to understand that NOAA is a subdivision of the Department of Commerce, and has a political agenda, aligned with the Obama Administration.
Believe what you wish, you are certainly entitled to that, of course. I have inside information that the NOAA figures are manipulated, but don't believe me.
I also have public information that I can give you concerning the game NOAA is playing:

There is a major problem with the NASA and NOAA numbers, according to skeptical researchers who have dissected the data: They are inaccurate, the result of cherry-picking, computer manipulation and “best guess” interpretation.

Veteran meteorologist Joe D’Aleo – a long-time critic of official global-warming statistics – says NASA and NOAA are manipulating the data, calling their actions the U.S. version of last year’s Climategate scandal.

“NOAA and NASA are complicit in the misrepresentation or manipulation of data to support the supposed [global warming] consensus,” says D’Aleo, who also heads ICECAP, the International Climate and Environmental Change Assessment Project.

www.iceagenow.com...

Here is the recipe that is public, and every fact listed here can be checked:

The NASA/NOAA recipe

To cook temperature data and warm the earth artificially, NASA and NOAA have whipped up a nifty recipe. Here are the not-so-secret ingredients for global warming:

1) Reduce temperature reporting stations across the globe from nearly 6,000 in 1970 to 1,500 or less today.

2) Drop out reporting stations in higher latitudes (colder), higher elevations (colder) and mainly rural locations (colder).
3) Cool early temperature records through data “adjustments” to create the impression of a current warming trend.

4) Fail to compensate or under-compensate for urban growth and land-use changes that can produce localized warming known as the urban heat island (UHI) effect.

5) Cherry-pick thermometers from reporting stations sited at busy airports and other warm locales (e.g. near the coast or at lower elevations).

6) Fill gaps in the shrunk-down thermometer network by estimating temperatures using a system of global grid boxes. Then “populate” the grids with thermometers stationed at lower latitudes and altitudes, or near the coast and in other warm spots.

7) If there are no temperature stations inside the grid box, use the closest station in a nearby box (for example, at the bottom of a mountain plateau or on the coast).

8) Adjust the final temperature dataset using “homogenization,” a blending process that effectively spreads a warm bias to all surrounding stations.

9) Voila, global warming made easy!

new topics

top topics

join