It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC fighter gets visit from Secret Service!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
mmaweekly.com...

Jacob Volkman expressed he would like to fight President Obama. As many on ATS would as well, I'm sure. But he said this in an interview and got a visit by the SS, er, uh, Secret Service!

The SS is saying they interview anyone whose made a threat towards the president. But I am confused at where the threat was made. He did not say he was going to fight Obama, only that he wanted to. He never elicited he was going to attack the president. They even showed up at his youth camp where he trains young children in self defense.

So does anyone else consider this a threat? Because I sure as hell don't, and it sure as hell didn't warrant a visit from the SS!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

Not a threat at all! Hell, a lot of fighters want to fight people they greatly respect. It's part of the sport.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
No threat, and according to the 1st Amendment, he had every right to speak his opinion. And that's what it is, an opinion. Just another attempt of the instruments of the elite, over stepping their boundaries.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

It was better times when we could settle disputes with our fists.

As I agree, I don't think Volkmann respects Obama, or at least his policies.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Obama couldn't lick a postage stamp. Hell, you could put him in a wet paper bag and he couldn't beat his way out. Fighting him would be a waste of time and would dishonor any martial arts practitioner. Hell, a better way to go would be for both contestants to sit on one of those carnival things where someone hits the target with a ball and you drop in a tank of water. The loser has to show their birth certificate!! He'll be out of the country so fast your head will spin as well as pump another mill into defending hiding his.

The SS has to justify their existence regardless of the legitimacy of their claims.

Hell, let's see some of the SS bad asses take on the MMA guy. After hearing my uncle's stories about his days in the SS, they would get thrown around like rag dolls and use taxpayer money to lick their wounds at 5 star facilities.

edit on 5-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yes of course it is a threat .Not to Obama ,but to the UFC fighter .

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This guy is probably going to be labeled a domestic terrorist now. But personally I think Obama probably got a kick out of this guy saying that. I don't think the pres would've taken it as a threat.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111
mmaweekly.com...

Jacob Volkman expressed he would like to fight President Obama. As many on ATS would as well, I'm sure. But he said this in an interview and got a visit by the SS, er, uh, Secret Service!

The SS is saying they interview anyone whose made a threat towards the president. But I am confused at where the threat was made. He did not say he was going to fight Obama, only that he wanted to. He never elicited he was going to attack the president. They even showed up at his youth camp where he trains young children in self defense.

So does anyone else consider this a threat? Because I sure as hell don't, and it sure as hell didn't warrant a visit from the SS!

No threat. Every now and then, forces like the SS, FBI, CIA, have to make quick appearances to show they mean business, and these speedy actions are always done despite the "threat" in question not being real. But when it's a REAL threat, every organization from CIA to police take their day-old time. Example would be Columbine. There was PLENTY of evidence (the two boys created a website, made threats, told friends not to attend school the day before, the parents of one of the victims went to the cops to complain etc. the list goes on) beforehand that was viewable by the public that could have prevented the tragedy but it wasn't taken seriously.

This country is either really retarded or tragedy happen so they can be taken advantage of. Take your pick.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Before anyone decides if this is a legitimate threat to the President, let's put it in perspective and see the actual context that this "threat" was made under shall we? Below is the actual interview in which this fighter makes a "threat" towards the President of the USA

Sounds more like the average American to me. Ticked off, frustrated, and with an opinion. I do not see this as a credible threat at all. Is actual "threat" is made in the context that he would like to fight Obama for his next Professional Fight. Not a street brawl, not a sneak attack, not a "go to the White House, kick in the door and beat his ass" type of remark. He is talking about a professional fight which last time I checked was medically regulated and legal in the USA.

And the Government wonders where money is wasted? How much did this investigation cost the taxpayers?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
People get excited way to easily... He was talked to by the secret service big deal. I bet the people who get bent out of shape over this are the ones that flip out when cops make eye contact with them.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kayzar
People get excited way to easily... He was talked to by the secret service big deal. I bet the people who get bent out of shape over this are the ones that flip out when cops make eye contact with them.

Actual it is a big deal. When is having an opposing opinion to a public official a situation that is worthy of questioning a citizen? This is supposed to be a "free country" where you can have and speak any opinion you want. People like you who do not see a problem with these things are the same people who years later when things are much worse say, "How did this happen? How did we get to this point?". It is pretty simple, you get to the extreme points by ignoring them as they happen on a smaller scale.

Again, we are talking about investigating a citizen for his opinion of a public official. Where do you draw the line? Now it is the President, next week if you disagree with Congress or the Senate, that may require an investigation as well. This time it is a fighter during an interview, several year back it was the Dixie Chicks, who will it be next year... maybe you for something you typed on a forum like this?

But yeah your right.... it's all no big deal /sarcasm .

In addition to that, you may have noticed the US economy is a flippin' mess. Wasting money is not a good idea at this point. I think that is something we can agree on. How much money do you think it cost the US taxpayer for the Secret Service to charter a private jet and fly to Minnesota to interview this guy, his family and friends? I am sure it was not a one day trip, so the Secret Service needed some place to stay, so now add in the jet, the fuel, the hotel, in addition to their pay. How much money do you think it cost the taxpayer?

Did you watch the video I embedded? If you did, ask yourself if what he said is even worth the cost of the investigation of this man or would you call it waste of funds? I agree this is just one incident, but where there is "just one", there is always more that we never hear about. It adds up So is it worth the cost to you as a taxpayer?.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Where in the constitution does it say that the police or secret service cannot talk to its citizens?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

Come on guy? Are you for real?

To answer you, it doesn't. But this is an obvious way to threaten this man. For crying out loud, he is just your average citizen who is venting about his government. Why on earth spend our tax dollars to investigate something so benign? Abuse of power much??

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nothing more needs to be said.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is clearly an issue of Big Brother throwing their weight around and a vast waste of taxpayers money, but hey, they have been wasting money since day one......

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Any well-run business, whether they provide a good or a service, may have SOP's ( Standard Operational Procedure ). And so it goes. It may be that this particular interview was performed due to a SOP which was based on criteria from observations of similar past incidents. Live and learn is a good thing sometimes.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've always found it interesting that "threatening" the POTUS will get you a visit from a bunch of overpaid goons in black suits with earpieces and dark sunglasses who think they can do whatever the hell they want.

It doesn't matter if the threat is real, it only needs to be a perceived threat. Once again, it justifies the cost of keeping the goons' salaries paid. All of the alphabet agency personnel are tough guys since they feel they have the full backing of the District of Criminals to justify their existence.

Maybe something I've stated has relegated me to a potential threat? Come on out boys. Make sure to carefully read the signs posted in my yard since entering it armed automatically makes you a threat to my person and I will react accordingly.

This is ridiculous. I used to have these discussions with my uncle when he was SS and he could never answer with any semblance of sanity. It was always an answer that involved what they could do and how we couldn't stop them.

Hey, Uncle M.......times they are a changing!!!

BTW, who protects me if I'm threatened??? Oh yeah....ME.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Apperntly since Obamas been president there has been numorous threats against his life.
Can't blame them for being a little on edge when it comes to death threats.

Pretty sure anyone who makes a public threat against their president in any country would have a black SUV standing outside their door in seconds.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

An interview is not a threat, this is only as big as the things you make up to tack onto the issue.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Kayzar because: typo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join