It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frankenswine GM Pigs Are Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

While I am mostly against any animal genetic manipulation, there is a part of me that welcomes the supposed improvements in some cases. We know pig farming will continue to thrive and considering the waste issue, this seems like a beneficial concept, also they don't stink as much which should bring some relief to residents in close proximity to these farms. Canada presents the Enviropig....

THE ENVIROPIG
Between 50% and 75% of the phosphorus present in cereal grains including corn, soybeans, barley and wheat is present in an indigestible compound called phytate that passes through the pig's digestive tract. The Enviropig is a genetically enhanced line of Yorkshire pigs with the capability of digesting plant phosphorus more efficiently than conventional Yorkshire pigs.

This should really help with preventing phosphates from tainting water supplies.
Unlike the frankensalmon, it seems if these pigs mixed with the natural world there would be less repercussions by comparison, since there is no accelerated and expanded growth.

Ordinarily, pigs cannot easily digest chemicals called phosphates. That means that the stuff that comes out of the back end can be toxic and damaging to the environment. The phosphates are easily washed into waterways, where they can produce a hugely fertile environment for plants. But the plants grow so rapidly that they choke the stream or river and cause huge damage to the ecosystem.
The genetic modification enables these pigs to digest phosphates, which means they are less polluting and cheaper to feed.

www.bbc.co.uk...

But critics of GM food said the animals are ‘anything but environmentally friendly’ – and could lead to more intensive pig farms.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So I am willing to say this one may be a good thing. Less phosphorus in water means less algae blooms, which are already creating havoc on numerous systems. What concerns me is the patenting of these animals and the same type of legal issues that arise in the corn/soy industries with Monsantos. I can't seem to find who the owners of this patent are.....any guesses?

Peace,
spec
edit on 5-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
So I am willing to say this one may be a good thing.

"May" is an awfully big word when it comes to genetic modification. We have absolutely no idea, really, what impact this will have in the future. GM anything in my opinion is not a good thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

True true human, and in a perfect world, where people operated with altruism and viability as opposed to greed and profit margins we would all be better off. But since that mentality is continually dissolving. we are left with tech advances that may help us. I am not sure, just trying to apply a little objectivity. I do share in your concerns though, but it seems this pandoras box is wide open.

Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Why would we want enviro friendly pigs?

What is wrong with normal pigs that have been with us all this time.

Do you guys think these scientists are of particular religions?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

What is wrong with normal pigs that have been with us all this time.

Do you guys think these scientists are of particular religions?

I agree with you, there is going to be fall out somewhere down the line.

Pigs root around, and are in the mud for a reason.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I think these people do not care too much as i think they have stored away all the dna samples of all animals. So that if anything was to go wrong they could start the breed again.

We all hear about those bases underground storing all those seeds etc, probably same for all types of dna.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

As per the article the supposed benefits are less smell and less phosphorous in their waste which will prevent more algae blooms in the water surrounding the farms.
Although deep down I feel it is an effort to begin a monopolization of livestock and patent rights, and that sucks

spec

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

What do you reckon they want to control it like the seeds?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

What do you reckon they want to control it like the seeds?

Exactly

It's official. Monsanto Corporation is out to own the world's food supply, the dangers of genetic engineering and reduced biodiversity notwithstanding, as they pig-headedly set about hog-tying farmers with their monopoly plans. We've discovered chilling new evidence of this in recent patents that seek to establish ownership rights over pigs and their offspring.

www.greenpeace.org...
yikes!
I just hope they build strong fences so these gm pigs don't breed with pigs in adjacent fields putting the owners in a position of liability! Crazy!!!

spec

edit on 5-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Although deep down I feel it is an effort to begin a monopolization of livestock and patent rights, and that sucks

spec

Exactly!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If the pigs were eating a healthy diet and not being farmed in such unsustainable numbers there would be no need for frankenpigs. Should I trust that this technology has been thoroughly tested with regards to safety for both the environment and consumers?
edit on 5-1-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is all crap, if we modify them for the betterment of themselves that is one thing, but to modify them so that it will be easier for us to factory farm is disgusting.

Nature created these animals the way they were, and while I would understand slight modifications if they helped the pig, these modifications benefit nobody but ourselves.

Maybe rather than modifying the animals we should stop treating them with so little respect and modify our gluttony.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

This is all crap

But it won't smell as bad

I do agree with you pred, and I would rather see the end of farm factories, but you know the likelihood of that. So if this helps to "green" up the farms maybe it's a good thing? Again I am against this stuff but I also consider any genuine benefits to this tech, because coupled with the malevolence that sometimes envelope these advances, there probably stands some benefit too that could really make things better. But I don't know man, messin' with nature seems unwise overall.....

spec

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So.... they feed pigs a diet they were not meant to eat and then genetically modify them to the false diet?
Ya, that makes sense.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Pasturing pigs, instead of "feedlot" managing the pigs, is the way to raise pigs.
Then their waste is not the issue.

However, since this cannot be accomplished on a CAFO,
they have to resort to these atrocious methods to contain
waste.

If only we would return to the regional family farms for our meat needs.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

(Victor) Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster's name.

top topics

join