It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is it possible that the Methane clouds are up in the air in bubbles already?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
As these methane cloud chemical mixes come up are they interacting with life forms as they exit water sources and enter air sources. If they were everywhere a match in the sky would be a trigger so I dont think they are everywhere (yet). But is it possible from the combination of ignorance in the GoM and the climate adjusting ect. that frozen methane within water zones is being melted and released.

Figured I would ask just incase I am around someone lighting a match near a suspect Methane cloud. Is there some type of monitor that can be publically accessed to get data on current atmosphere quality and compound mixture within the atmosphere (like concentrate locations). Like a live gas map showing natural gas, co2 emissions globally as well as methane emissions or am I too far into future

Peace and STAY FEARLESS

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I don't believe it would be possible for them to linger as a cloud for a very long period of time.

The larger the release of methane, the longer it would take for it to dissipate though.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I see your point but add a chemical or two and will it help the clouds stay thick and float even if clear to the human eye.
Thanks for your input

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
No.
Methane is lighter than air, so it will rise.
Even if it were to form "bubbles", it would only allow ignition around the edges----combustion requires oxygen.
An extremely unlikely scenario, as wind and changes in temperature and humidity would preclude the formation of "bubbles".
More likely to form thin layers at altitude, mixed with the other atmospheric gasses, and extremely unlikely to burn under any ignition source.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Sounds like we have nothing to worry about as of now then. As I mentioned do you think the chemical mix can help the bubbles stay afloat and concrntrated like chemical is outter layer of bubble slowing its ability to float out into higher atmosphere. Keeping it near inhabitants of EA.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Star on your post.

Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they made a column of methane foam with soap bubbles, then ignited it at the bottom?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by gotrox

Sounds like we have nothing to worry about as of now then. As I mentioned do you think the chemical mix can help the bubbles stay afloat and concrntrated like chemical is outter layer of bubble slowing its ability to float out into higher atmosphere. Keeping it near inhabitants of EA.

Thanks

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought I should add my 2 cents worth. You won't get bubbles. Methane gas exists in the atmosphere in minute amounts because it is quickly oxidised to produce CO2. Asides from that, the nature of the gas would mean that it is perfectly miscible with the surrounding atmosphere. As an analogy, adding vinegar to water doesn't produce the layers you would see by adding oil to water for the same reason.

top topics

join