It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galactic Smashups Leave Giant Black Holes Hungry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Colliding galaxies don’t shake up enough food to feed enormous black holes lurking in their centers. A new study suggests that less violent events, like gravitational disturbances within the galaxy, are probably black holes’ primary source of fuel.

A sample of the galaxies studied; sorted based on whether they show no signs of a recent merger (top row), minor signs (middle) or major disruptions (bottom). The black spot in the center of each galaxy ensured that the test was blind. The team blocked out the bright nuclei from active galaxies and added a spot to galaxies with dim centers, so the sorters couldn’t tell which was which. Credit: NASA, ESA, M. Cisternas (Max-Planck Institute for Astronomy)

Almost every galaxy is centered on a supermassive black hole hundreds of millions of times more massive than the sun. Some of them, like the black hole at the center of the Milky Way, are relatively docile. But others draw a huge, hot disk of gas that glows white-hot just before it vanishes forever. These disks, called active galactic nuclei, can outshine the rest of the host galaxy.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that these ravenous black holes get their fuel from major mergers between two large galaxies. In all the chaos of a galactic pile-up, plenty of gas should get funneled toward the center and gobbled up, astronomers reasoned. Simulations have found that black holes and galaxies grow together. Some observations even suggested that galaxies with active galactic nuclei were slightly distorted, a sign of a recent collision.

In a paper to appear in the Jan. 10 Astrophysical Journal, Jahnke and colleagues selected galaxies from the COSMOS dataset, the largest continuous galaxy survey the Hubble Space Telescope has ever completed. The survey covered an area of the sky 10 times the size of the full moon, and found hundreds of thousands of galaxies.

Hubble Space Telescope

Source: www.wired.com...#

Well, there you go. Hubble comes through again. What a nice investment that thing turned out to be. Changed how we look and see Space.

I wish the people of the past who gazed into the skys and wondered, could see what we see today. I can't even begin to imagine what the future will hold.

The sad thing is that unless we leave this planet-or develope the tech to do so, the Human Race is doomed. Someday, something will happen to this planet and it will be gone. I sure hope we can do it by then.

Thoughts.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
"The sad thing is that unless we leave this planet-or develope the tech to do so, the Human Race is doomed. Someday, something will happen to this planet and it will be gone. I sure hope we can do it by then"

how is this a sad thing ? Why the hell would the rest of the universe want earths cancer? The universe is doomed if humans find a way off this planet and start inhabiting other planets. I would be the first to sign up for mass extermination inorder for the universe and the other species of earth to live on without its cancer known as humans

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Hmm, dam. Looking at your mini-pic and reading your reply...

I don't doubt what you say. You should S&F this one just to bring attention to it so people read your post.

I want to be on your side of things..... Friend?
) (just in case you actually do get in some power position in the future that decides these such things. Peace.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Wow...A man of principle...Most of the time I tell population control people to lead by example and off themselves....But you're all about the mass kill-all...

I can dig it. I can dig it.

I wish to live to see the day where we can peer all the way back to the big bang...But I'm interested on whats on the end of the expansion bubble.

Perhaps filaments of galaxies so distant...Enormous structures made up of stars so innumerable..
edit on 5-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
"The sad thing is that unless we leave this planet-or develope the tech to do so, the Human Race is doomed. Someday, something will happen to this planet and it will be gone. I sure hope we can do it by then"

how is this a sad thing ? Why the hell would the rest of the universe want earths cancer? The universe is doomed if humans find a way off this planet and start inhabiting other planets. I would be the first to sign up for mass extermination inorder for the universe and the other species of earth to live on without its cancer known as humans

Agreed, if we somehow find a way off this planet and colonise elswhere, the universe (no matter how large) will be destroyed by us alone.

Let's just hope there are alien ninjas outside our orbit making sure we don't do just that though.

new topics

top topics

join