It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highest alert level in southwest Netherlands

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

I couldn't find a MSDS either. However Butylphenyl acetate (even though it sounds scary) is a food additive and is also used in fragrences. So that one chemical out of the bunch is pretty safe.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by indunedain

Please can you tell us about the noisesyou have been hearing. l do hope you are ok, stay safe, get as far away as you can. star.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It seems now under control:
chemiepack

I live not far from there, about 50 km north...hmmm...I was too busy with the bird/fish killings and didn't get this. Sirens did not cry here (Delft)

Holy #, better stay home tomorrow. Pushed by a light wind, potentially toxic clouds are heading my way and probably are passing my head right now!!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hmm wonder how far this will get, and if my girl will be ok. I wont know till 11:30.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
To quote the movie 2012, "When they tell you not to panic.... that's when you run."

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by indunedain

Ahh man you think helis are bad.. I was staying in a house in den bosch right next door to a high school. Every morning at silly o clock about 3000 kids on 50cc scooters with power pipes pulled up..It was like an attack by bees carrying blenders..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There's a big factory/industrial fire not even 3km's from my house at the moment, should I start a thread on it?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 1
On 06.01.2011 at 03:55 GMT+2

A huge fire broke out at an industrial park near Rotterdam on Wednesday, setting off chemical explosions, releasing toxic smoke and disrupting shipping between the country's second-biggest city and Antwerp. The fire started at a Chemie-Pack chemical plant in the Moerdijk industrial zone, about 40 km (25 miles) south of Rotterdam, on Wednesday afternoon. The cause of the blaze was unknown and police said there were no reports of any casualties. However, shipping traffic at the Hollands Diep river, close to the Moerdijk area, was halted, a spokesman for the Dutch ministry of security and justice said. A spokesman for Rotterdam port, Europe's biggest, said the impact on traffic between Rotterdam and Antwerp was limited. The petrochemical complexes of Antwerp and Rotterdam are linked by pipeline and an inland waterway. Rotterdam supplies raw materials for Antwerp's petrochemical industry. A spokesman for Royal Dutch Shell said the company's refinery, located two km from the burning chemical plant, was unaffected and that the wind was blowing smoke in the opposite direction from the refinery. The fire later expanded to an adjacent factory of Finnish engineering firm Wartsila but there was no danger to the Shell refinery, a police spokesman said. Wartsila has a logistics centre in the area, according to its website. Several big explosions took place at the industrial zone with flames more than 10 metres high, television footage from the scene showed. There was no danger to health from the smoke in the area although the smoke did contain toxic material, the police spokesman said. People in the area were advised to stay indoors and shut their windows, the spokesman for the ministry of security and justice said.

edit on 5 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Whoa be safe man and I will keep you all in my thoughts. That looks bad. I hope you are ok and everything settles down thanks for bringing this one to our attention.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
As of 12:15 ( midnight local time. = gmt +1 ) The sign is given that the fires are under control.

I will be checking in after work.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Birds fleeing the scene.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Just because you can't see or smell it doesn't mean it is safe. And what about water contamination?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
www.dutchnews.nl...

Moerdijk chemical fire put out, no danger to health says mayor

well i must say this is very good news . updated as of 44 min ago..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I just listened to a psychic, Joseph Tittel, which I NEVER do, and he predicted a large chemical plant explosion/fire this year-2011. He said that government would tell citizens that smoke was safe. Soon after, people were having burns on their skin, horrible problems with lungs, etc. I don't listen to psychics normally, just thought that it was a interesting coincidence. I just hope that people try their best to stay away from the smoke and not listen to their governments regarding safety. I really hope that people aren't injured from the smoke there. Best wishes to all of you in that area.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by be4peace
I just listened to a psychic, Joseph Tittel, which I NEVER do, and he predicted a large chemical plant explosion/fire this year-2011. He said that government would tell citizens that smoke was safe. Soon after, people were having burns on their skin, horrible problems with lungs, etc. I don't listen to psychics normally, just thought that it was a interesting coincidence. I just hope that people try their best to stay away from the smoke and not listen to their governments regarding safety. I really hope that people aren't injured from the smoke there. Best wishes to all of you in that area.

Nothing interesting about it, really. Chemical plants burn to the ground on a regular basis. It's equivelant to predicting an oil spill. They're forever happening.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

There is a major fire only an hour drive from my place and and there are highly toxic chemical released in a big black cloud of smoke.

The cloud is heading north and Dordrecht is already covered.
This is a major catastrophe and we are now at the highest alert level possible.

This is bad... Real bad.

www.rnw.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

What are you on about!

It's not bad, the people only need to stay inside, close the windows and turn off the house ventilation.
Then they will all be fine.

That's what they said on the tv and radio. And of course my governement knows better then you when we are or are not in danger of being poisoned with tuns of chemicals!

So stop your hoaxing!!!

(I hope you guys can read sarcasm when you read it...)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What really bugs me is that when a chemical plant burns to the ground, they say it doesn't pose a health risk, but when I light a cigarette it's a big health risk.....

If I burn my garbage on the street, I get fines going up to a couple of thousand euro's. Because that is bad for the enviroment and public health, but a chemical plant burning to the ground isn't?

what the #.....

Reply to the guy about water contamination:

They even showed this little river which the fire department used for water, it was BLACK. They were pretty worried about the effects on crops and the ground water.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djonko..
They even showed this little river which the fire department used for water, it was BLACK. They were pretty worried about the effects on crops and the ground water..

Image to go with that:

Will post aftermath (well, there are still fires ongoing, and as we speak, they are working on a large fire inside) images in a minute..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm living right under the smoke cloud. (about 8 miles away) And it smells really bad. It smells like burned plastic mixed with paint.. I have closed my windows and everything, but I can still smell it inside. It causes me a headache..

Sure, it's completely safe... That's why the firemen are wearing gasmasks

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Amsterdam

Thanks for that image, it's pretty disturbing.

But yeah, i'd rather take a swim in that river then smoke a cigarette

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join