It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Groom Lake have any ILS localizers or frequencies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was wondering whether flights to Groom Lake are often delayed or canceled due to bad weather and visibility there since only visual landings are used more often.

If this is not true, then does Groom Lake have any ILS localizers and frequencies?

Thx.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nellis range beacons

They have instrumentation landing, but only from the southern approach as far as I can tell. I've never heard their localizer on the scanner, just the VOR. (Without the localizer frequency, finding the glideslope is virtually impossible.) There is a spot on Mount Charleston where the localizer could be picked up. The hike is on the list.

Note that all the NDBs have gone silent, or else are turned on as needed. I'm not sure of the MCY NDB status. The Base Camp NDB was the ATIS too. It is the only NDB I ever heard with voice on it. Base Camp plays games with their VOR, that is they turn it on as needed.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Back to Base Camp, the towers for the NDB were gone last time I went by. I need to update that web page, but I want to make sure the removal is permanent. It is not like Base Camp is going to issue a NOTAM about the NDB. Also there was a tower under construction at Base Camp with the typical red/white aviation paint theme. The tower had no gear on it. To be clear, it doesn't look big enough to be a manned tower, so probably for comms.

I have not found a bid request for the tower construction, but I suspect Base Camp is hiding the request since their previous bid request put a bit too much information out on the net.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hi Gariac,

I just wish to know the ILS frequency like most airports have in order to capture the glidescope.
Yes, runway 32 has an ILS, but I wish to have some more details on this ILS.

I would sure hope that KXTA (Groom), will eventually publish departure/approach charts in the close future like the one I posted recently on the Tonopah Test Range.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

Wish all you want, I don't see the ILS being found in the near future. Just about every person that climbs Tikaboo brings a scanner. If the ILS was easy to detect, it would already be published. You don't think I looked for it?

Go on Google Earth and draw a vector along the runway toward the south east. The localizer will hit hills that can't be reached. The glideslope would shoot over Mt Charleston on a 3% slope.

It is possible that the localizer will have some splatter due to knife edge dispersion, but you would probably need a high gain antenna to receive it.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hi Gariac,

Ok, fine.....

Now, one thing I would like to clear up. Does Groom have AT LEAST those visual VASIs in which there are colored WHITE if your too high on the approach and RED if you are too low on the approach?
Look below to see what i am refering to.
upload.wikimedia.org...
upload.wikimedia.org...

In the meantime, I will try and pinpoint those visual aids on the Google Earth.
EDIT >>> Ok, I found something on the sides of runway 32...If you look closely, you will see THREE-DOTTED things on both sides....Now I dont know if these are on what I am refering to....Dont know. Just align yourself on runway 32 in Google Earth, and on the side of the runway, you will see a three dotted object, and another pair of these when you inch up a bit.

Let me know if you see these on runways 32,14 and also for runways 30 and 12....

And what type of VASIs are these because there different types...These look like on GE if there are three instead 4 lights on runway 32 and 14.
edit on 8-1-2011 by darpa999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

You might want to look at the panorama I uploaded. I think you are seeing the arresting cables, but I'm not sure.

top topics

join