It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death by colorless wall of text

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Everybody please !! If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread, there is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else or the other way around, a wall of text that just make your brain explode and your soul leave your body in pain. Im not trolling when writing this, it takes no time to make your tread more attracting.

There are four things that make me want to read on in ATS treads

1. Air
2. Illustrations
3 Text Size
4. Color

Everybody please !!

If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread
There is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else

Or the other way around, a wall of text that just make your brain explode and your soul leave your body in pain. Im not trolling when writing this, it takes no time to make your tread more attracting.

Everybody please !!

If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread
There is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else

Or the other way around, a wall of text that just make your brain explode and your soul leave your body in pain. Im not trolling when writing this, it takes no time to make your tread more attracting.

Everybody please !!

If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread There is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else

Everybody please !!

If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread There is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else

Thanks for reading
Note: This is not evil rant, this is somehing you can use or dont
edit on 5-1-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If I were going to do a rant, it would be about grammatical errors, poor (or no) punctuation and pure, old spelling mistakes. I guess you don't see it that way?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Before the internet was invented there was something called books. Adults could actually read text WITHOUT pictures and somehow manage to stay interested. If a post is interesting I don't need illustrations. I'm not 5 years old. I hope you haven't discouraged someone with something good from posting just because they're not prepared to put on a show.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It does become very hard to read a thread if there is no space at all between paragraphs, I'm not sure about the different coloured text though, I think that's more distracting then helpfull.

Is it easier or harder to read things in multiple colours

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Everybody please !! If you decide to make a tread then put some more effort into "selling" your tread, there is nothing more "sucking the life out of me" then looking at a tread with either one line and nothing else or the other way around, a wall of text that just make your brain explode and your soul leave your body in pain. Im not trolling when writing this, it takes no time to make your tread more attracting.

Well if I ever decide to make a tread and attempt selling it I will follow the information put forth in this *thread*.
Also using punctuation and breaking your thread down into simple sentences instead of paragraph long sentences that never seem to end would also be a good thing.

But I will agree that single line threads with opening statements like "Omg I just saw a ghost what should I do?" is not exactly worthy of a reply let alone it's own thread.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
If I were going to do a rant, it would be about grammatical errors, poor (or no) punctuation and pure, old spelling mistakes. I guess you don't see it that way?

No I dont see it that way, because there have been alot of those treads allready, and a small amount of spelling mistakes dont tick me off..

because I still understand the meaning, and if you where refering to my spelling, then yes I know im bad at english spelling and grammar, but I still think I get the message out there.

This tread was suposed to be about the presentation of the subject not grammar and spelling.
But as you said, if you was going to rant you would make one about that.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

It does become very hard to read a thread if there is no space at all between paragraphs, I'm not sure about the different coloured text though, I think that's more distracting then helpfull.

Is it easier or harder to read things in multiple colours

hehe lol.. everything here in life can be exaggerated, eating 1 million bananas everyday would be bad. My point was that alittle color dont kill anyone, but sure if you do like you just did my head might explode

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

No I dont see it that way, because there have been alot of those treads allready, and a small amount of spelling mistakes dont tick me off..

because I still understand the meaning, and if you where refering to my spelling, then yes I know im bad at english spelling and grammar, but I still think I get the message out there.

This tread was suposed to be about the presentation of the subject not grammar and spelling.

OK. Would you please learn that the word is thread and not tread.
And you make it quite obvious that you care not for the finer skills of writing. Evidently, you want color, and evidently, blood and brains.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

OK. Would you please learn that the word is thread and not tread.
And you make it quite obvious that you care not for the finer skills of writing. Evidently, you want color, and evidently, blood and brains.

This THREAD is not about bad grammar and spelling, could you make your own THREAD and rant about this ? thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

"There are four things that make me want to read on in ATS treads

1. Air
2. Illustrations
3 Text Size
4. Color"

Oh, I seen now, you are a college student taking advertising design classes. I remember that course.

Didn't they make you take Rehetoric 101 first? Anyway, If you reply to this please include another exploding head shot. However, make it progressive shots. This may be hard for you to believe, but I find it exceedingly boring when the several you used were all the same shot. Almost like reading an unbroken paragraph, you know?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP. Very nice to see some examples for enhancing the appearance of a thread. Great that you used the same dialog for different presentations, that gave some nice ideas with the same content. As for myself, I am lacking knowledge of the coding necessary to do some of those neat things. It seems to me I found some helps for that but now I'm not sure where I found them. Need to look around again.

Overall, posts are fairly readable if given room to breathe. I'll run away quickly if I see a full page of one paragraph. I understand many do not know good rules for paragraphing, but if that is the case I would suggest to them to just make a new paragraph now and then as it seems fit - basically the rule is for not breaking up a thought or example but mostly you play it be ear. A paragraph seldom needs to be more than three to five sentences.

If one's tendancy is like mine to get overly wordy it is nice to insert an illustration, a quote, or a breaker of some sort to give it air. But please, by all means, break it up into paragraphs of fairly short duration. Even if it's wrong it is still more right than running it all together.

Thanks OP for the ideas. If someone could point me to the coding I need to do some of the pretty stuff I promise I will read and study it and take it to heart. Thanks.

edit on 5-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Back in the day of printed media, this concept was called "typography". It wasn't just all about different fonts and letter spacing. Your "air" was called "whitespace". To avoid "walls" you used paragraph separation and indents to break up blocks of text. You could also switch justification around and do things like use multiple columns. Then you'd throw in inserts and headlines, etc. to spice things up a bit. You'd also learn things like contrast vs. legibility, so you wouldn't do dumb nearly invisible things like use yellow text on a white background or overpowering things like yellow text on a purple background.

Oh wait, this concept still exists! If you google "typography on the web", you'll find tons of discussion on this topic. It will also help you understand existing terminology so you don't have to try and re-invent it.

Personally, I'm not too worried about colors or headlines. If overdone, that can be almost as annoying as ALL CAPS. And lack of images is only a problem if the topic on hand discusses things in images. My big bugaboo which you seem to share annoyance with is big walls of run-on text. That quickly switches my brain into "tl;dr mode", and I'll start skipping down the thread or move on to another one. Paragraph separation does a lot for legibility. It's not just periods and proper use of caps that provide a sense of pacing within the dialog. Periods and commas are shorter breaths, but occasionally a reader needs longer breaks when changing to the next related idea being presented.

But yeah, I understand your rant completely. There are still too many people clueless on the subject, and their posts are hard to read.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Hi, Erongaricuaro.
You'll find everything you need and more in this thread: BBCode
Be warned. It's so awesome, your head might explode.
Take care.

top topics

join