It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory ASVAB For High School Students

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I did home school my son from 5th to 8th grade. He chose to go to high school and in a way I'm glad. It's very hard to get him out of the house. I still think home school is a great way to go, but my son isn't outgoing.

I think the best option is to refuse to take the test. The problem with public education is that it teaches our young kids to conform. We as parents, can teach them to speak up for themselves by doing that ourselves. My son won't be taking the test and, if the majority would fight for our own constiutional rights, we can make a difference.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I would just fill in "A" all the way down.

There is nothing to be gained by allowing the military to pick your brains, unless you already want to join. In which case I don't think they should test you at all, there should be a place for everyone in the military.

I'm not sure how 25% fail, I'm pretty sure it was written for 6th grade comprehension.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I did find out that public schools receive some funding for administering the ASVAB. The assistant principal told me. The military is really pushing this, aren't they?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
Also, if a student does poorly on the test and wants to go into the military, they are placed according to their test scores.

Geez, really?

Of course they are going to place a kid according to his score. Do you think they are going to put someone with a low mechanical score in Jet Engine Maintenance (tho it's probably happened).

I don't think it should be mandatory. The tests cost money, and why make someone that isn't remotely interested in the military take it.

The plus side of taking the test is you do get the morning off from classes.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
One of my friends got a good score on it and actually had a military recruiter show up at his house.

And?

Big deal. He got a good score and a recruiter showed up. How come people have a hissy fit about this? I'm willing to bet that if it was Harvard or some Ivy league school showing up with a free four year ride, they'd be wetting themselves with joy.

A recruiter shows up and your kid isn't interested, just have him or her tell the recruiter, "Sorry, I'm not interested." Simple as that. Just being polite and using some manners go a long way.

Tho I'm sure some ATS posters will be bragging on how they beat the recruiter up or something along those lines.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think the 'issue' is having the right to choose. Having the test forced on high schoolers is not constitutional and they have the right to their privacy.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
it is all part of the no child left behind program, the ASVAB is mandatory in 34 states, just look up ASVAB mandatory in schools, some schools principles and amdit's have been fired for enforcing this, it takes voices, not just one to fight back. see also www. freelibrary.com. my you win this battle of oppression , when free will is taken, there is only one, Stand!!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

This test was mandatory in the 80's when I had to take it.

I am surprised it still is...
In this world of "personal rights"....

Why is this a "bad" thing, again?
edit on 5-1-2011 by thegoodearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

it takes one rights away, no choice, you or your child have no say as too take it or not, when i was in school back in 80's you had a choice take or not take it and it did not go to DoD like it does now. and this is a permanent record test.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hey-
Our kids have to take all kinds of "tests" in schools...
They take the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (or its equivalent) etc...
Many take PSATs-

This test, being given as well to High School students for free,
if one looks as it in a more positive light,
will give students a better idea of where they are standing
when it comes to looking at college- future options.

And preparing for SATs and ACTs.

If one honestly thinks that recruiters, and the DOD sit around and pour over
these results, twisting their moustaches, trying to diabolically find
some way to steal the kids, they are out of their minds- they have better things to do.

If someone scores really high, they might contact them. Just like you get a flood of calls
when you get good SAT scores (yeah, without telling anyone-because those results aren't "private" either)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I remember taking this test in H.S. about 6 years ago.

I scored fairly well, but I asked a recruit officer if I could willingly retake it for a better score and he said yes.

I don't think it was 'mandatory' as some of the people I know ditched the testing session and all was well. I'm not sure of the concern here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

the school test will not put a m16 m60 m4 in there hands an ASVAB will and if the parent says no to the test then that child has no say if he/she want's to be field tec or not, the MOS will be infantry, no if and's or buts. because he/she failed the test or did not take the test. Now if he /she sings up before the draft , and there will be a draft, if fighting continues, then yes he/she can retake the test. and it is best to have one year of collage to sing up

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

If someone does well on the test,
the recruiters do not automatically
sign them up as a grunt, for crying out loud.

Seriously, a lot of them are also encouraged to apply to college
under ROTC scholarships at the very least or to the Air Force and
Naval Academy, then on to OCS.

Not every single ASVAB results in an automatic deployment to Afghanistan.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I too, like a small minority in the thread, fail to see any real danger or downside to this. Do you guys really have any idea how many students at 17 and 18 have no idea what they want to do?

I teach High School students in the public school system. Specifically, juniors and seniors. Now, I do things more modern than some of my peers and I spend much more time focusing on higher education and sharing the importance of having some form of education beyond K-12 to stay job competitive. I walk my students through college applications, help them fill out scholarships, help them find scholarships that they have the best potential for receiving. Now, that being said I have students who college is not for them. Trade school is not for them. And I love them all the same regardless. My students that want to go military? I try everything in my power to have them do it via ROTC or after college so they can enter as an officer and receive the better perks that way.

However, the Army is not the "we'll accept any reject or misfit that wants in" romanticized and out-dated entity is seems like many on this thread picture it to be. To be accepted and to actually be anything in the Army, you need to have something you can offer. The system is not perfect, and airheads still slip through. But Joe Clown and his posse of slackers can't join as a back up plan as readily as in the past.

When my students take the ASVAB, which is mandatory for all seniors where I teach as well, the data is used to help our lower achieving students or our students that we are still trying to help find direction. The army doesn't force us to make our kids take it. US troops aren't these evil gun-wielding buffoons some on this board will like you to believe. After the test, we can sit down with these students and hash out a plan. As an educator, I always want what is best for my kids, and I am sorry, but there is no draft-indocrination or silly "TPTB" junk within any of this.

The people that will cry wolf at this are the same that will cry wolf if we as educators just sat idly by and did nothing. Once again, I can assure you, the military doesn't force us to give our kids the test. The only harm this test does to your children and the youth of this nation is give them another option.

And to be blunt, if you are one that is against giving our children options, lord bless I never teach your child because they will come home with open eyes and a mind that will finally be able to think for itself.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I had to take it my senior year. Usually anyone who did a little better than average got relentless phone calls from all the branches trying to reecruit. I think I got a 76 and didn't stop hearing about it until I told them I had a back disease.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
(exmil here) If you put the "Mule brakes on "and do poorly on the ASVAB its gonna limit your choices of specialties.

Yeah it could be a scary first step to the draft( a mandatory push for universal testing). but would you rather your Son be offered a Airforce or Navy communications electronics repair or mechanics Job or Army infantryman?The Air force was the best decision I ever made; and it set me on a great course o ftechnical occupations for my entire life.
edit on 5-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There's test prep books for it nowadays, ya know.

It's kind of a Tibetan reincarnation type test. If you DON"T use a test prep book, and you take it, you'll answer something right like "What is a collective?" (correct answer: pull it up and helicopter goes up) or "What is a squeeze bore gun?" (correct answer: German anti-tank gun with extreme muzzle velocity). If you answer enough junk correctly in a MOS, they know you is a reincarnated Gyrene helo pilot or Tiger tank driver.

Experienced Cylons make BETTER warriors

Seriously, study for it. You could be a hericopter pirate.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
im confused, whats the big deal? It was manditory in my school to take the asvab way back in 02, i took the test as a junior. I was able to score a high score on the test sure i got a few calls and personal visits from the local recruiters and mounds of mail for rotc and other military ventures, that was it no real pressure to join or anything like that and you know what no draft at all just my two cents

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

If they start that, I will quite literally cut off my own foot to keep from being drafted. I would advise others to do the same.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Maybe the OP and his son don't want military recruiters annoying them with phone calls and visits to the house if joining the military isn't an option. I was merely relaying what sort of annoyances could happen if his son got a good score.

And, actually, being nice and politely refusing didn't work in this case. It was only after my friend had said "no thanks" two or three times that this military recruiter then showed up at his house.

I don't think that the recruiters are evil, but I do think that their job is to sale the military to people. And I think that they have to be a bit aggressive and a tad annoying...just like most salesmen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join