It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory ASVAB For High School Students

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My 15 yr. old son came home yesterday and told me the ASVAB is mandatory. He's only a Sophomore in school! How can they make this test mandatory and not give students the right to choose? Anyway, I was pissed, because I don't want any information on my son going to the DOD.

I called the superintendent and notified him that I wasn't giving permission for my son to take the test. This is an issue of a student's right to privacy and I think they should have a choice in the matter. It's not right to force this on students and then have recruiters calling them when they aren't even out of high school.

Also, if a student does poorly on the test and wants to go into the military, they are placed according to their test scores. Many schools have made the test mandatory, but I know Maryland fought against it and no longer give the test.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
As someone in the military, I agree with you 100%.
The test should only be offered to those that want to join. Latest results, however, show that 25% of those that take it, fail. (I'll try to find the data)

But to mandate taking it smacks of an attempt to bring back the draft, which we do not need.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

S&F.

Tell you what, when some so and so tells me something is mandatory that is almost a sure-fire way to have me throw on the brakes and go into mule-mood.

Maybe you should attend a school board meeting and call the idiots on this matter.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yeah, it was mandatory at my high school as well. I think it's garbage. Tell your son to deliberately fail it if he's not wanting to go into the military. One of my friends got a good score on it and actually had a military recruiter show up at his house.

Alternately, they announce when they are going to be giving the test. Maybe pull him out of classes on that day or have him fake sick? There was one guy at my school who actually made a concoction to make him sick. He puked all over his test answer sheet and booklet.
edit on 5-1-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They should have the right to refuse to take the test.

Actually, I did put the mule breaks on. I had a freaking fit and I'm very afraid of the draft for my son, because I know the military takes Aspergers.

If they force this, a person can also contact Code Pink. My son is very intelligent, but he has Asperger's Syndrome. People think autistics aren't capable of being in the military, but they certainly are. My son knew every military weapon used in WWII when he was only 10.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well, I just talked to the assistant principal again and this high school won't do the Option 8. All info. is sent to the military. Needless to say, he isn't taking the test.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Hell, I've been in since 1981. And my wife (a neuro-nurse) swears that I have Aspergers!

edit on 5-1-2011 by beezzer because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thats ridiculous, I hadn't even heard of the test until this thread. During my time in high school, recruiters set up a table in the cafeteria once or twice, but thats it, no way I would have taken the test if offered.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Beezzer, you're so funny, lol. My son is classic Aspergers! It's not easy getting him ready in time for school in the morning. He's about 6'1" after his huge growth spurt. I hope he doesn't grow anymore. It's hard to find jeans for him. He's very strict about what he eats. Not me!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If this is true,it sounds like the "Universal Service Act",may be implemented soon.

That's how deep recessions and depressions always seem to end,WAR.

If that's the case,they will have lots of cannon fodder.

I completely disagree with those stuffed shirts who think they are above us to send someone else to fight and die in their stead.

If they implement the "USA act",resist it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is the first time that I have ever heard of this test being mandatory in a school – like an above poster stated, it was always optional when I was in school.

This is insane that a school would force this test on a student!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

LOL
Just pay attention to his "issues". I have issues with my wife, she's just learned to ignore me.
Just sayin' I was 6'3" as a sophamore in HS.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Many schools are making it mandatory. Every student at this school will be taking it,because parents are not informed.

The ASVAB test is given to hundreds of thousands of high schoolers every year. Yet parents are not informed about how this 'Career-test' ties directly into the marketing agendas of military recruiting. It should be clear from the title, ASVAB stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, yet the connection from 'test' to 'war; is often missed. And while teachers and counselors are told that the test is a free career-placement test for teens, many of whom are unsure as to their futures, test givers and test takers may be unaware that the ASVAB places students into pre-assigned categories for today's military infrastructure.

www.schoolsmatter.info...

This is actually happening!

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS - Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Mirthful Me because: EX Tags & Link.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Wont be long now before service is mandatory.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

LOL
Just pay attention to his "issues". I have issues with my wife, she's just learned to ignore me.
Just sayin' I was 6'3" as a sophamore in HS.

No kidding! My son wears 31x34 jeans and they are looking short. My son can be so stubborn! He will only wear certain clothes and eat certain foods. He's not very athletic though. Too bad he doesn't play basketball. He did finally learn to ride a bike when he was 9. If they work at it, they can do it. His interest is history.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

HAHAHA. . . .
I could tell you stories!
But I betcha he's a whizz at individual sports and chess.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

HAHAHA. . . .
I could tell you stories!
But I betcha he's a whizz at individual sports and chess.

He's good at chess, but not sports, even individual, but he hasn't really worked at it.

(Sorry mods, for not providing link)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Give him time. And I'd say just love him, but that is apparent even here.
Kuddos!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thanks Beezzer. I love him enormously.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
My 15 yr. old son came home yesterday and told me the ASVAB is mandatory.

...solutions could be - take him out of public school and either homeschool or put him in a private school or let him take the ged and be done with that foolishness...

...i did the latter with my eldest... he was bored with highschool, wasnt learning anything valuable, wasnt interested in playing sports or wasting his time with teenyboppers... he aced the ged, went to work full time and took college courses at night (which he paid for himself)... he's in his 30s now, very successful and still takes college courses at night...

...you dont have to play the game... its your call entirely (for now)...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join