It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Wall St. execs bankrolled GOP victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

A small network of hedge fund executives pumped at least $10 million into Republican campaign committees and allied groups before November’s elections, helping bankroll GOP victories that this week will change the balance of power in Washington, according to a review of campaign records and interviews with industry insiders by the Center for Public Integrity and NBC News.

Bitterly opposed to President Barack Obama’s economic and regulatory policies — including proposals to increase taxes on some of their profits — top Wall Street hedge fund moguls were unusually energized during last year’s election. They held multiple fundraisers and coordinated strategy to direct what appear to be unprecedented sums into the coffers of GOP and allied political committees, according to industry and GOP fundraising sources.

MSNBC News

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Wall Street money goes to those with political clout - it does not necessarily create political clout.

For example, when Obama was coming to power, his primary contributor was Goldman Sachs.

Goldman has since been dumping money into republican campaigns.

Who ever Wall Street thinks is going to win is who they are going to buy.

All politicians are corrupt kleptocrats that work for the benefit of the banking interests.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sorry, I did a search and could not find anything on this yet, it's news to me.

I'm sure there are many opinions on such behavior, and some may see this as OK while others, like myself, think that this is the reason why our country is in a downward spiral.

Entities like this, lobbyists and so on, should never be allowed to contribute ANY money to those who make decisions about our lives and our everyday politics. I'm a firm believer that only when this practice becomes outlawed will we b able to make some progress.

Khar

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

I am a firm believer that no one has the right to make decisions about my life other than me.

Period.

Hence, arguing about campaign contributions is pointless since the entire political process violates my rights.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

arguing about campaign contributions is pointless...

I agree arguing is, but discussion is important. This is part of the reason that Washington and other states make the decisions they do. When these powers start making bad decisions we need to understand why and look for a way to resolve these conflicts.

I am a firm believer that no one has the right to make decisions about my life other than me

Liberty: freedom with responsibility is important and something that everyone cherishes. When people start acting out of line they need to be pulled back in, wither they like it or not. This goes for governments as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just for comparison - 10 million is relatively little money in campaign donations and without a comparison to Democratic campaign donations from equally unpalatable groups and organizations I don't see any point in highlighting the Republicans. Lets also not forget that Wall Street faired VERY well under the Democratic super-majority and control of the presidency where hundreds of billions of taxpayer money was funneled back to them. I would argue they don't care who is in office as long as we serve their interests. The right/left polarization helps them. I believe there is a publication out there from the late 1800s from the bank association pretty clearly outlining the tactic that they intended to employee on behalf of their members - they would get Republicans up in arms over security and the left up in arms over some social issue of the time to keep the target off their own backs.

Don't believe Obama serves Wall Street?

“President Barack Obama is considering naming William Daley, a JPMorgan Chase & Co. executive and former U.S. Commerce secretary, to a high-level administration post, possibly White House chief of staff, people familiar with the matter said,” reports Bloomberg.

The Obama administration Banker connections are unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You should look into the Koch brothers and there donations to the Republicans and the Tea Parties.

themoderatevoice.com...

new topics

top topics

join