Certainly a bizarre institution with strong roots in the Progressive movement. The Nazi's seized The Odenwaldschule in the 1930's but it is difficult
to find out much more beyond that fact during the WWII years. Apparently, the schools operations were moved to Switzerland in 1934 and then back to
Not much info on the school beyond German Sources. However, please note a strong tie to The Odenwald with one of our nations elite private Colleges.
(NO SURPRISE) A progressive agenda cloaked under a Catholic/Jesuit school.
Teaching Assistantship in Germany
A one-year teaching position is available for the upcoming academic year at the Odenwaldschule, one of Germany's premier boarding schools, for a
graduating senior at Boston College.
Brief program description
The Boston College - Odenwaldschule English Assistant Program offers a German-speaking Boston College graduate the opportunity to live, work and learn
in Germany for one year. The English assistant at the Odenwald School will live with pupils at the boarding school, assist in English instruction and
in subjects that are taught in English, and contribute to extracurricular activities and the general life at the school. The assistant will also have
the opportunity to study at a German university and travel in Germany and Europe. Room and board, a small stipend and a small travel allowance will be
provided. The school will share the basic health insurance costs; the assistant's share being around 40 Euros per month.
* The Odenwaldschule, which serves 260 youths in grades 5-13 from all over Germany and other countries, is located north of Heidelberg in the
small town of Ober-Hambach near Heppenheim.
* The Boston College - Odenwaldschule English Assistantship is an 11-month program, running from around mid-August to the middle of July.
* Two vacation months in one- to three-week segments are interspersed throughout the school year with an additional six weeks during summer. This
provides the participant with unique opportunities for travel in Europe.
* During periods of instruction the assistant will be scheduled to help various English teachers in the classroom for 12 class hours a week and
will be expected to supervise at least one extracurricular activity throughout the year.
* Applicants must have a good — though not necessarily fluent — command of German
Yes, Boston College!! What a fun opportunity to study abroad.
Oddly enough this book "The Politics of Progressive Education: The Odenwaldschule in Nazi Germany." Was written by one of BC's professors, Dennis
Shirley. Hmmm. I wonder how much he really knew about Odenwald at the time he wrote the book
Here is link to comprehensive article on the Odenwald School and its troubled history. Allegations of abuse and cover up date back to its early
edit on 6-1-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)