It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sci Fi Weapons Closer Than You Think

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The Us army is researching and developong "sci fi" weapon ystemd which wil be in use roughly around 2010.

The pulse gun will also have the ability to fire something like today's sabot anti-tank round. But the FCS pulse weapon will give it more penetration capability than it already has, Khalil said.

To the soldier on the battlefield, it will look similar to a sabot round -- a flash of light -- and the result might be the same -- a destroyed tank or armored vehicle, he said.

But Khalil's team isn't stopping there. His team is also developing electro-magnetic armor capable of stopping not only other pulsed weapons but conventional weapons.

Since the system is just being developed, the weapons could be Electro-thermal Chemical guns or even a laser gun capable of firing artillery rounds or destroying tanks, he said.

They are developing all of this stuff it is amasing can wait till it comes out

usmilitary.about.com...

[edit on 8-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I think weapon developers have no problem ripping off ideas from Sci Fi movies and books and such. The Predator camo from the movie is a perfect example. The creators of the movie said the had a screening of it at the Pentagon and after seeing the movie one general stood up and said I want that refering to the camo used by the predator camo. And it seems he might get his wish as the future warrior system is using something very much like that of the predator.Exoskeletons are another example of sci fi to real life Then you have laser weapons a few years ago they were only in the realm of sci fi but they are quite real. Maybe its not far to say they are ripping ideals off from sci fi as much as they are drawing inspiration from them.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Hey if they can make them in real life to use on the battle filed and protect our men/women in uniform I am all for it anything that helps is good: up:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
all weapons started as an idea, whether it be in a top secret military base or a movie studio

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The only thing that limits the design and tech of weapons is our imaginations!!

im sure that almost anything can be invented or constructed...

"Fire Phasers and Quantom Torpedos... FULL SPREAD"

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Rubbish like pulse guns have little chance of seeing the light of day. Cost to much and are too limiting in capability. Increased penetration is not needed these days. Lighter armor would make more of a difference for a 20 ton tank

When the fall out settles from this war you can expect programs like FCS to undergo massive overhaul.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Those guns sound alot of fun where can i buy 1

But man they would use a serious amount of power.
Geez what will they come up with next.

I can just hear it now future tank commanders telling his crew
"Sheilds up ,target the enemy tank and fire phasers"

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Actually this is the future you don't need any room for ammo cuz you have the beam it can tear up any armor and it can run or ion batteries its good hope they put it on the battle field. Shells and ammo are going to become obsolete lasers and particle beams are the future.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
they have already had successful tests of ground based laser weapons shooting down missles. you dont have to look very hard to see lots and lots of sci fi weapons coming out soon. heres one after a 5 minutes of looking:

www.sacbee.com...

[edit on 8-7-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I never believe this stuff until i see it. I mean, i hear Bull crap about Russians having the ability to create earth quakes and use tesla weapons.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Lasers are very possible infact its in the making right now... the downside i hear is that due to need to heal of a small beam of light through all the mirrors it take about 5-10 mins to fire another round and can barely penetrate metal... sorry to tell you guys this but its gonna take a while for these to be on the battle field

Although there is one thing that isnt too far from being finished which is an ultra high pitch sound that fires in a cone for about 30 feet that can make people stop and panic becouse of the pain of just walking, this is not being developed as an attack but as a barrier around bases so that intruders dont get through (Ex. Cov Ops soldiers looking for something they may not have)

Also there is a new type of jacket that has been getting modifyed to have military capabilites which using small cameras that project whats behind you on the front sides and back of you... im thinking this will be Cov Ops standard issue becouse it has no defence other then translucentness but i may be wrong

uum.... lets see theres also somthing about using green lights as more of a night time defence to blind the enemy.. this is already in use but not in mass production due to the fact its easy to be more of a pain then defence at times.

XL5

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Lasers don't need to "heal". The only thing that effects the rate of fire is power and cooling. I have a Nd:yag laser that can be fired at 2Hz (2 pulses per second) and when focused it can pop through a razor blade per pulse, it takes about 1200Watts input to do this. I could also make it 3 times mor powerful and maybe have a pulse rate of 0.5Hz as well.

Current solid state laser rods all have some advantage but so far none have been as effn. as a CO2 laser or other gas/plasma lasers. If a solid state laser rod were made to be 80% effn. then you could have laser guns that are battery powered.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I seen laser that can slice through titanuim plates in a few seconds. Granted laser are of no use on something like a tanks armour but thats not what there are designed for. Missile and most aircraft have hardly no armour on them just a thin skin of titanuim or aluminum with some nice flamable liquid right under there skin. You will be surprised how fast these things make it to the battlefield.

The jacket your talking about I hope is not the one designed in japan.

This coat only works with a camera in front of the guy that you cant see in most pictures of it. The camera projects the image on the coat it does not work with the coat alone. The US has invested alot more money in this tech then this guy has. This guy in japan does however prove the concept does work.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
solid state lasers would be good against tank armor in a couple o years though i say that because i have seen a loaser make a hole in 1 inch carbonsteel plate in 3-4 sec now they would not work against tanks but in the future if they kmake them more powerful it could slice a tank.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
solid state lasers would be good against tank armor in a couple o years though i say that because i have seen a loaser make a hole in 1 inch carbonsteel plate in 3-4 sec now they would not work against tanks but in the future if they kmake them more powerful it could slice a tank.

THis is a good example of how lazers will never work as AT weapons. Modern tanks have 35-40 inches of steel armor which means it would take ~ 2 minutes to burn through. I wonder what kind of tracking system would be required to keep the beam on the same spot while the tank is maneuvering? WHat happens when the tank goes behind a rise?

LAsers might make sence as anti air/Helo weapons but not AT weapons.

BTW back in the late 1960s tests on lazers resulted in burn through of 13mm of hard steel [30mm mild steel] per second, so it looks like not much has changed in the area. Don't expect miracles in this area.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ShadowXIX, I see you havn't seen the next-gen version of the invisibility cloak eh?

Invisibility Cloak

As you can see it's alot better. I wonder how much power it sucks up tho

E_T

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by psteel
This is a good example of how lazers will never work as AT weapons. Modern tanks have 35-40 inches of steel armor which means it would take ~ 2 minutes to burn through.

Vaporising material could also block laser. (or part of it)

So they really need to develop "little" more powerfull lasers before they can "slice" tanks.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
How do you know they havent already developed futuristic weapons? This thing is cool. The U.S. is developing something new all the time.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

The jacket your talking about I hope is not the one designed in japan.

no no no its waay more advanced lol that ones just for fashion my friend as for laser development they are trying to make a laser that can make huges blasts not a small on... more for range then anything
ack forgot to finish.. More range for than anything except with enough power to slash through high density metals

now for the "healing" it takes a while to yes cool off not heal
it was late so i was kinda tired and didnt finish exactly what i wanted

[edit on 10-7-2004 by Oglop]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
How do you know they havent already developed futuristic weapons? This thing is cool. The U.S. is developing something new all the time.

Developing newer and newer weapons only means you have a productive R&D , however like all things there are two sides. THe USA spends as much on R&D every year as they spend purchasing new weapons....inother words if you cut back the R& D by half you could buy 50% more weapons per year....

Also having a new weapon is pointless if you don't have a doctrine to train the troops to use

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join