It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come people looked more pure and natural in the 70's?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I have a question. I was looking over my kindergarten photos from 1978 and noticed that people and the kids back then look different, like more pure, natural and wholesome, than people do nowadays. Why is that? I notice this when I see old films from the 70's as well.

Is this a normal part of evolution, or due to GM foods? After all, people in the 19th century looked way different too, in those old photos (and I'm not talking about clothes or styles).

Here are my kindergarten class photos from 1978 and my first grade class photo from 1979 below. As you can see, people looked more natural and pure.

Did you know that in Russia and Ukraine, many people still look like Americans did in the 70's? The photos of the women there sure look like people from the 70's. Why is that?

Also, how come TV characters in the 70's were more likable, endearing and familiar, like part of your family? But nowadays TV characters are gritty, unfeeling, hollow, etc?

And what happened to the moving sentimental music that movies and TV shows used to have at every moment?

Those were all good things. Who decided to take them away?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here is an example of what I mean. See this intro for this classic Western series from the 60's called "The Big Valley". Notice the smiles and expressions on each of the characters. They look so natural and wholesome don't they? (except for Lee Majors, who was very stiff, couldn't act, and was never much of a smiler, it's a wonder he ever got cast in anything)

edit on 5-1-2011 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
good call OP, it does seem that way doesnt it. I would say its due to technological advance, and overall stress of life as trend shows we are all moving toward a faster lifestyle. I

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

I agree with what you said. I have always mentioned it was due technological advances, plus the way of life.. Look at 40 years ago. Things were simple, no financial crisis, no economic stress and so on. These days, everyone is just in a hurry, and rushing everywhere.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You seem to be waxing nostalgic lately. Considering your other thread about pop stars turning to drugs and suicide it would appear you are coming into a mid-life crisis. Too bad the economy is so lousy at the moment as one of the reliefs for that was to buy a new sports car. The mid-life crisis aften comes in people's 40's and could be for many reasons like health, family, career, economy, or just a reflection upon one's life and thinking it is yet unfulfilled. Good thing is, make it through that it it often gets better than ever.

Your question about the people in the 70's.... Sure, those were different times. There was actually a push on for health-conscious activities and diet. There does not seem to be a lot of optimism at the moment though, and a lot of negativity brewing. I notice it but I am largely unaffected by it. I am in my 50's, retired, and don't know of a time when thngs were less stressful and demanding for me.

Smiles are contagious and in the 60's and 70's there seemed to have been an epidemic. It would seem today everyone has been innoculated for that.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Things always look better in retrospect. If you look at people in the 20's, they seemed different than the people in the 70's......however...... I agree it is due to a more stressful lifestyle.....as well as more negative things we are exposed to today.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
More demon possessions and alien hybrids?!

Really though, as a mother of four, I must say that grandparents were WAY more receptive and caring and desired to be more involved back then too!

After this Christmas, the inlaws decided we would not be coming back to their house to celebrate any holidays...that they would visit us for the day instead and make a quick exit. All because they can't handle the stress involved in grandparenting...and my boys are pretty darn good kids!!

My MIL has diabetes, and in my opinion, didn't do the best job at raising her son (which I have been doing ever since he married me at age 32!) LOL

My own Mom had colorectal (sp?) Cancer and after the radiation and chemo zlmost did her in a few years back, she hasn't been the same. Hence, the same stress gets to her and instead of a village helping me raise my children up into fine young men, I often feel like an island doing it on my own. This is why we go to church (as well as to worship in unison with others) it is for the community and so my boys will have more than one source of love and positive influence in their lives.

Morals and health are at an all-time low, but that's just my opinion and experience...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Probably because they didn't use all the crap we use now. The kids these days look like clowns with all that makeup caked on.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I have a question. I was looking over my kindergarten photos from 1978 and noticed that people and the kids back then look different, like more pure, natural and wholesome, than people do nowadays.

Because we were.

Is this a normal part of evolution, or due to GM foods?

Nothing to do with "evolution". Plenty to do with GMO Foods, chemicals, and modern "lifestyles".

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How do I display images in this thread? I tried to wrap the image URL's around the image tags using the BBC code buttons above, but it didn't work. Is there a way to display images directly in this thread?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

It's the magic and beauty of Kodachrome.film

Such a shame that no one develops it any more, it made the world look so much more beautiful then it really was

edit on 5-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I call it the Playdough effect.

In the beginning there was gray playdough and it had no form.

As time went on and form began to arise the playdough became more colourful and formed as more potential form and colour were abundant.

The colours and form were a natural result of evolution ingressing into a closed sphere (Earth), only so much room and colours and form are available..

As time goes along these days we are getting closer to filling the sphere, and the closer we get the less colour and less form are occuring due to lack of abundance, therefore the colours and forms are mixing more, becoming grey playdough once again.

In essence we are all to become the formless gray playdough. (Unless we get more DNA, go to another planet etc..)

Evolution is not an arrow forward to bigger and better, sometimes it takes an organism back to the beginning.

Hope this make sense.

On a side note, I have heard a theory that the 'Grey' alien archetype is actually us from the future. This fits in quite well with the playdough theory.

edit on 5-1-2011 by _Highlander_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I have a few things to say about this.

Number one, Russians and Ukrainians look nothing like Americans. Now, or in the past. They are thin, and have different facial features. The girls always dress up, and won't be seen leaving their flats for a carton of milk without full makeup on. Nothing natural about their looks, even though the women usually are still absolutely gorgeous without their makeup (which one probably won't ever see). They definitely don't remind me of Americans from the past as far as facial feature/ skin///etc/

Secondly, think the thing here is that the cameras used here influence our perception on what they really looked like back then. I could take a picture of a group of people and edit it to look thirty some odd years old,and the people will look significantly different. The lighting is not as bright it seems, along with other things.

Another thing is that I think the people were less into their looks back in these times. Not saying they weren't, but I have little cousins who are less than 12 who wear things I wouldn't want to see a 16 year old wearing. We are getting looser with our styles, and this might also have something to do with it.

I'm not the best at explaing myself, but I hope you understand my opinions.)))

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
reply to post by WWu777

I have a few things to say about this.

Number one, Russians and Ukrainians look nothing like Americans. Now, or in the past. They are thin, and have different facial features. The girls always dress up, and won't be seen leaving their flats for a carton of milk without full makeup on. Nothing natural about their looks, even though the women usually are still absolutely gorgeous without their makeup (which one probably won't ever see). They definitely don't remind me of Americans from the past as far as facial feature/ skin///etc/

Secondly, think the thing here is that the cameras used here influence our perception on what they really looked like back then. I could take a picture of a group of people and edit it to look thirty some odd years old,and the people will look significantly different. The lighting is not as bright it seems, along with other things.

Another thing is that I think the people were less into their looks back in these times. Not saying they weren't, but I have little cousins who are less than 12 who wear things I wouldn't want to see a 16 year old wearing. We are getting looser with our styles, and this might also have something to do with it.

I'm not the best at explaing myself, but I hope you understand my opinions.)))

These Russian girls don't have makeup on, yet they look wholesome, feminine and more natural. See below. Any idea why that is? Is it cause their food is more natural?

personals.happierabroad.com...

Wow this one reminds me of Olivia Newton John when she was young! She has that bright smile wholesome blonde look!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Honestly, I think it's all about genetics. Russians have a very closed society when it comes to dating and marrying in Russia. Not many foreigners coming in to live there. I mean it has to be genetics because I would say the percentage of beautiful Russian women on the streets here everyday is HUGE. They are all so gorgeous. The men are pretty funky looking, myself included being of Russian blood, so its amazing how these odd looking guys and beautiful girls just keep on producing more and more beautiful women.

I don't think it has anything to do about the food. Culture maybe. Russian women tend to eat less, the younger ones are all about being slim. But still, I would say the majority of Russian men AND women who I know smoke, so it doesn't make any sense...

It has to be genetics.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

lol, sounds funny the way you put it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
reply to post by WWu777

Russian women tend to eat less, the younger ones are all about being slim. But still, I would say the majority of Russian men AND women who I know smoke, so it doesn't make any sense...

It has to be genetics.

Most all of the slavic chicks i know (and have known) over the age of 35 tend to be hairy, bellowing behemoths.

If you want to see some healthy, hot women in their older ages, check out the nordic or the icelandic broads.

They are as pure as the driven snow, rosy cheeked, of generally good humor, love to cook, please their men and raise their children, and they all have good teeth, even when they hit the mid-sixties.

Man, i love me some danish gals...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Are you sure they're Russians???
I live in Moscow and just about any woman under 50 looks incredibly attractive to me lol. You are totally right about the Icelanders though!!!!! Bombshells!!! But just the QUANTITY of beautiful Russian women amazes me. I was totally blindsided since the minute I walked off the plane by just about ever girl being gorgeous.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
Probably because they didn't use all the crap we use now. The kids these days look like clowns with all that makeup caked on.

Good call! Star you.

We, as Americans, live in a 'fake' society. With teen idols like Lady Gaga leading the way, there's no hope for the chidren.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
kids back then look different, like more pure, natural and wholesome, than people do nowadays. Why is that?

Because,
the 70's was
the last time that
most people in America
had the same day off of work.

How TV convinced everyone that
    closing all the buisnesses once a week
    so people could spend a day with their family

was actually a bad thing, and repressive, is beyond me.

David Grouchy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join