It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novel vaccine that produces strong immunity against cocaine high created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Novel vaccine that produces strong immunity against coc aine high created

news.oneindia.in

Washington, Jan 5 (ANI): Scientists have produced a long-lasting anti-coc aine immunity in mice by giving them a unique vaccine that combines bits of the common cold virus with a particle that mimics coc aine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Clinically, this sort of therapy could be given to people in treatment programs to aid in their recovery. And, like most other types of treatment, it will only be useful for those who want the help.

This could be good for some people but what next get busted for smoking weed and get a forced flu vaccination with a bonus never feel high again effect?

news.oneindia.in
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/1/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is really cool science even though the worry the op stated in his second post must be a worry to all, forced this is bad as it seriously takes away some freedom of choice.

Lets hope cannabis is special and cant be nullified in the same way.

The common cold, i thought that was the interesting bit, could they create it and then send it out in the world, 'oh it just got loose, what? nobody can get high from coc aine if they get this cold? heh : I can see some really famous people wearing gas masks to fend off this cold, when it goes on the loose haha
edit on 5-1-2011 by Lagrimas because: grammar

edit on 5-1-2011 by Lagrimas because: spelling

edit on 5-1-2011 by Lagrimas because: glue eyes

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I hope they have improved the side affects too, because the last time I heard about this it was because the vaccine caused plaques to form on the receptors in the brain and the recipient can no longer really feel joy.
The plaque prevents the transmission of what ever natural chemicals serve this purpose normally.
So it doesn't stop the condition that causes addiction caused by the use of coc aine, it just prevents coc aine from fixing the problem which is now apparently made permanent by the vaccine.

now all you need is SSRIs

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I have a strong feeling that this will have similar blowback that antipsychotics has. Tardive Dyskinesia. Both bind to dopamine receptors but does not activate them.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I hope they have improved the side affects too, because the last time I heard about this it was because the vaccine caused plaques to form on the receptors in the brain and the recipient can no longer really feel joy.
The plaque prevents the transmission of what ever natural chemicals serve this purpose normally.
So it doesn't stop the condition that causes addiction caused by the use of coc aine, it just prevents coc aine from fixing the problem which is now apparently made permanent by the vaccine.

now all you need is SSRIs

1) Based on this this "drug" should be banned, it worse than coc aine! Though if its based on common flu bug, it could be a virus and spread rapidly person to person.

2) Isn't it the coc aine addiction that should be addressed, not the High, exactly what is wrong with a high?
I don't have any problem with someone wanting to get buzzed, just want people healthy, their wallets protected and a no black market springing up around them due to it.

3) Would anesthesia stop working, for it a coc aine derivative?

This had better not be in whatever virus they're releasing and killing off all the birds with.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Cocaine activates the dopaminergic receptors (it also has an effect on the serotonergic and adrinergic receptors), so I presume you mean dopamine?

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter in the brain that is linked with the reward pathway, that is the cause of addictions, alcohol, heroin, tobacco and coc aine, amongst other things.

Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that is responsible for feelings of happiness.

On a side note, one of the dangers of taking too much ecstasy over a short period of time is that is stops the bodies natural production and secretion of serotonin, leading to bouts of depression.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Pretty cool, but I still think Ibogaine is much more effective. This does not reset the brain like ibogaine does, it just provides a temporary fix. After the treatments wears off the user will still associate the high with activities done on the drug, and a host of other things. Even Ibogaine isn't totally effective, but it's enough to keep a large portion of Heroin addicts off permanently (and a very large portion of other addictive drugs).

Make sure you do it under supervision though. This psychedelic is so powerful it will actually knock you out cold for a good 30 - 40 hours.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Dear Freedom_is_Slavery,
Nice post, however I do have one arguement to add. Why does the plant exist on the planet if we're supposed to be immunised against it. Same arguement goes for weed and the fact the brain has receptors already geared for THC.

Personally I think coc aine abuse is a terrible thing, however I don't want some government telling me what I can and can't do to MY body. I realise that my dying will reduce their potential taxable income from my living and paying through the nose for the right to live on the planet, but there are limits. I can smoke and I can drink, both kill you just as fast as coc aine abuse.

I'm not buying into this vaccine nonsense. Sure it's good for the true screwed up addicts, but it opens another door of the whole big brother controls your lives thing.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

dont worry. the herb you mentioned is special and cannot be hindered in the same fashion.

dopamine blockers are nothing new, and are more of a slippery slope than seritonin blockers.

when it comes to the chemicals in your brain, its usually best to just let your body regulate them. ironically enough, that same herb you mentioned mimics a hormone called anandimine that can help bring those same chemicals back to equilibrium.

long story short, the effect of anandimine cures the barbaric after effects of tamperinjg with said chemicals. Zoloft is a common prescription drug that acts the same way on a different chemical in your brain (seritonin). seritonin is the primary chemical that makes you happy, and dopamine gives you pleasure.

therefore, zoloft has this same neutralizing effect on the drug "Ecstasy". another ironic twist, is that between the 2 chemicals in your brain (dopamine/seritonin) dopamine negates the other.

so theoretically if a person were under the influence of ecstasy or zoloft, a small dose of coc aine would abruptly end the action of either.

im not particularly impressed with this latest "advancement". neutralizing the effects of dopamine (which is what this drug appears to do) is already achievable this just seems to be a more effective route. my problem is that your body still metabolizes the drug, and your therefore still exposed to all the risks. you just dont get euphoria.

a better approach would be making it so that your body doesnt even metabolize the drug.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm not going to get into specifics regarding my case but many years ago I took a "vaccine" to help me quit smoking. Had I spent the 30 minutes to research what I was taking I would have NEVER taken it.

new topics

top topics

join