It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Invited to Kabbalah Centre - Should I Go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hi I have been invited to a Kabbalah Centre and am not sure whether to go. I have heard it is like a cult or Scientology or something, but the woman who invited me seems very sincere. I am on a journey of sorts into the esoteric side of cultures and religions and feel like this may be a good detour. I am not likely to be programmed or bilked I am too cynical for the hard sell that I have heard about. It is more of an anthropological curiosity and some truth seeking thrown in.

What do you think - should I go?

Thanks

PS this thread talks about some of the stuff I would explore in detail at the TKC:
link

This thread talks about the thought experiment that I conducted a while ago involving the Fibonacci sequence, Kabbalah and the Old Testament. I would like to share this with the teachers at the TKC since it is interesting.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
With an attitude like that it could be interesting to get a feel for the place and help with your understanding. You sound smart enough to keep your head up, just don't sign or perform anything that you do not agree with and you should be fine.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
A door has opened for you, externally and internally. It may seem like this event is about being invited to a Kaballah Center, which it is in the physical, but a deeper look reveals that this event sheds light on your view of the world.

I have heard it is like a cult or Scientology or somethin

Your first sentence is an assumption. It is regurgitating he said/she said about something you have no direct experience with. Will you trust other's filtered opinions or trust your own?

Adopting other people's opinions and beliefs can be dangerous as these seeds of fear crop up very quickly. You say that you are "not likely to be programmed" which shows your subconscious fear that you may be programmed. This too is an assumption.

but the woman who invited me seems very sincere.

Will you make your choice based on hearsay or direct experience and intuition?

Here is a fitting quote.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
"The Power of the Kabbalah contains the Secrets of the Universe and the meaning of or Lives" (Yehuda Berg)

This is written on on the front cover of the book I own along with another about living with the Kabbalah. The Tree of life and the power of the Hebrew language is a very short summary. I find it expremely interesting and true to life in many ways but you must decide for yourself. Do you have anything to lose by attending? Do you feel strong enough to face any challenges to your current belief system? These challenges may be good for you! It's a good philosophy to live by and has been adopted by many stars (Madonna for one).
Any path of study that helps you to become a better more knowledgable person can only be for your good.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why not? if you are interested go ahead and go. I'd go if I was invited. Course I usually don't get invited back cause I ask to many questions usually.

edit on 5-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by greenorbs

Since you're going. Ask them what they would make of my avatar. And that they see all 4 aspects.
edit on 5-1-2011 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenorbs
I am not likely to be programmed or bilked I am too cynical for the hard sell that I have heard about. It is more of an anthropological curiosity and some truth seeking thrown in.

Well it sounds like you might be able to see through any techniques they might want to use to indoctrinate you

Originally posted by greenorbs
but the woman who invited me seems very sincere.

Erm,... maybe not then, seeming sincere is the con artists most valuable weapon

Here's a suggestion, if you want to know about a particular religion / practice / cult or whatever then go read about it before you put your trust in some complete strangers to tell you what they think it is at the same time as trying to sell you an overpriced book and sign you up to an advertising database
Treat it like you would any other thing that people are going to charge you money for, would you ask advice on how good a car is from the guy that was trying to sell it to you?
edit on 5-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
In my experience the Kabbala Centers as they are called are usually a fund raiser more than a spiritual beacon. The instructors are novices at best, chralatans at worst. If you wish to explore the great mysteries of old, find a reliable tutor. Preferably one who doesnt take a cover charge.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Kabbalah is basically Jewish Mysticism, so if that's something that interests you, check it out. There is a "celebrity" aspect to it (Madonna, Demi Moore, etc) that might draw comparisons to the celebrity aspect of Scientology, but it isn't an organized religion in the same sense, so if you think the idea is cool, but don't like the people at the centre you go to, you can try somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes go check it out.

But heed these warnings:

1.Question everything told to you. If the explanations are circular-logic and not thorough, well then you can tell a tree by its fruit.

2. Watch out for over-powering and controlling personality types. The message itself can be neutral, good, or bad ....but in every esoteric circle there are manipulative types asking for money, or control, hypnosis and so on.

3. See if they are flexible with other systems of thought/mysticism. If you get the "Only our way is right," message then its obvious how biased and controlled the group is.

4. Compare amongst all other mystical systems. he goal here is Union with God/Enlightenment/Oneness/Self Mastery amongst the many goals. Although Union with the Absolute is the highest.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I would go...just think for yourself and hear what they have to say.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Do what you want.

You would most probably only get basic stuff and knowledge anyway.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
When investigating particular groups, it is always very worthwhile to gather information about their teachings.

However, above and beyond such an endeavor, it is best to go by our Intuition as well.

This being said, I would recommend against joining the "Kabbalah Centre".

And this is why:

Judaism, Zionism and Gnosis

edit on 5-1-2011 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Thanks all for the input. I went ahead and bought the Essential Zohar book by the founder of TKC, and am aware of the controversies. Will go and update this thread with my experiences with the group. Buying a $25 red string seems absurd, but contemplating life via Kabbalah seems as reasonable as any other methodology, no?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
yea you should go! i've been checking out the one in nyc and they give free seminars. gonna attend one soon! let us know what you learned

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think it'd be better to find smaller, local groups or teachers that can support your study. With bigger groups you don't learn as much and it isn't personalized. Quality over quantity. "Centers" aren't really there for you, they just convey a world view to the people. Find your own world view.
edit on 6-1-2011 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join