It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis 2:11-12 there's gold in them there hills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I would like to know a christian's opinion on this one. I am aethiest by definition but think the bible is a interesting book when aproached from a non-religious stand point. My question is why does the lord bring in gold after mans creation, It seems to me gold would be irrelivant to such a divine entity, that just spent 7 days making existance, he also moves on to bring up bdellium, wich in my reasearch is a shrublike tree, the bibles refrence states it to seem more like a mineral or element afterword mentioning onyx. I'm not trying to make any christians mad, I would just like to hear their thougts on the matter.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
its a way of discribing heaven to humans so they can understand how beautiful and pleasent it is there, otherwise people would have nothing to compare it too.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
its a way of describing heaven to humans so they can understand how beautiful and pleasant it is there, otherwise people would have nothing to compare it too.

Well, it may have to do with putting things into terms that humans can understand. According to Strong's Definitions we have:

Strong's Hebrew Definition for # 02091
02091 // bhz // zahab // zaw-hawb' //
from an unused root meaning to shimmer;
AV - gold 348, golden 40, fair weather 1; 389
1) gold
1a) as precious metal
1b) as a measure of weight
1c) of brilliance, splendour (fig.)

However, it seems to be using it as more than just an adj. as you can see in the following verses:

Gen. 2:11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;

Gen. 2:12 And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.

Another thing is that this isn't talking about Heaven. Unless Eden and The Garden is in Heaven, or was in Heaven at this point in time. That seems to be a matter of opinion usually. Especially since this is talking about the rivers which are here on Earth, but supposedly at this point in time they flowed out of Eden and flowed through places here on Earth itself.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It's undoubtedly speeking of a place on earth check out this in depth article on the river pishon www.focusmagazine.org... maybe he ment black gold, texas tea?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by double down
It's undoubtedly speaking of a place on earth check out this in depth article on the river pishon www.focusmagazine.org... maybe he meant black gold, texas tea?

Actually, I'm of the opinion that instead of 'Black Gold, Texas Tea', they are possibly making a reference to 'White Gold'. Here's why:

Genesis 2:12 And the gold of that land [is] good: there [is] bdellium and the onyx stone.

Numbers 11:7 And the manna [was] as coriander seed, and the colour thereof as the colour of bdellium.

So in Genesis 2:12 - It mentions that the 'Gold' of that Land is good & there is bdellium and onyx stone. Well 'The Land' they are referring to is Havilah. Now, keep that in mind while looking at a few more definitions.

Bdellium
occurs only in Gen. 2:12, where it designates a product of the land of Havilah; and in Num. 11:7, where the manna is likened to it in color. (White)

Havilah - Meaning: the sand region
A land mentioned in Gen. 2:11 rich in gold and bdellium and onyx stone.

Onyx
It was found in the land of Havilah (Gen. 2:12). The LXX. translates the Hebrew word by smaragdos, an emerald. Some think that the sardonyx is meant. But the onyx differs from the sardonyx in this, that while the latter has two layers (black and white) the former has three (black, white, and red).

So what if Gold is used as a Replacement Word for something else. Something that would only be understood by those in the know, so to speak. That 'Gold' which is found along with bdellium and onyx, both which come in the color of 'White'. Bdellium then again is used in Numbers being likened to manna and the color of White again. So perhaps this 'Gold' that is being talked about is really, for lack of a better term, 'White Gold'. What is 'White Gold' though you ask? Well, some say that it is none other than what Alchemists call 'The Philosophers Stone'.

Here are some references:
The Philosopher's Stone
www.crystalinks.com...
The Philosopher's Stone - The White Stone by the River

Superconductivity and Modern Alchemy
Has the Philosopher's Stone Been Found?
White Powder Gold

monatomic.earth.com...
Okay, back to the alchemical substance. When I became interested in this alchemy, because the white powder of gold was the alchemical substance supposedly, I began to do all sorts of reading, and one of the things I came across immediately was the Melchizedek priesthood and the white powder of gold associated with the Melchizedek priesthood. So I went to Rabbi Plotkin at Temple Beth Israel in Phoenix, and I asked the Rabbi, who is one of the most knowledgeable rabbis in Arizona, I said, "Rabbi, have you ever of the white powder of gold?", and he said, "Oh yes Mr. Hudson, but to our knowledge no one's known how to make it since the destruction of the first temple". He said, "The white powder of gold is the magic. It can be used for white magic or black magic".

QUEST FOR THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
Google Cache - 66.102.7.104...:GsB56Srk1J0J:www.lyghtforce.com/WhiteGold/ormus.htm+white+gold+philosophers+stone&hl=en
Since ancient Egyptian times, alchemists have worked in secret to produce something called the Philosopher's Stone, or the Elixir of Life. The materials that Hudson and other researchers have found are believed to be related to the Philosopher's Stone. The materials have been called ORMEs, monoatomic gold, white gold, white powder gold, ORMUS, m-state, AuM, microclusters, and manna.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
god needs gold to run all the circuts on the matrix circut board.... and as for athiests hand baskets are better than roller coasters....... the admission to the park is the cost of your faith

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaypeth
god needs gold to run all the circuts on the matrix circut board.... and as for athiests hand baskets are better than roller coasters....... the admission to the park is the cost of your faith

What the hell does that mean???

I kinda understand some of it, but the whole thing together just doesn't make sense really. I can see how it fits but I guess what I'm saying is why bother saying it like that??? IMO it's a really goofy and somewhat flimsy usage of metaphor to represent an idea that would make a lot more sense if you just used plain, straight forward, literal English language. Or am I missing something more profound that is in there somewhere???

Also, how exactly does this have to do with the Term 'Gold' and how it's used in Genesis 2:10-12??

top topics

join