It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great NEWS-Listen up LEO's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Michigan just switched to a shall issue state for concealed carry a couple years ago. I encourage every sane person I encounter to go ahead and get a permit.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Glad to see the government informing the officers of the law. Gotta remember we are ALL equal under the LAW.

At least that is the way it is supposed to be.

Gotta keep everyone on their toes.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

I should have said that you don't need a permit to open carry in a lot of places in the United States, which is true as far as all the area surrounding where I live. There are more places where you need a license to carry concealed and more places you can't openly carry.
But for the fifty years I have lived here, we have always been able to open carry without a permit in KY....

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I just learned about it like a year ago, some open carry.org people were strolling through Downtown Detroit and were detained or harassed by Officers which resulted in a lawsuit, and a long (like 20 page) legal update from the City law dept. I was surprised, you can open carry in places where concealed carry is not permitted,
edit on 4-1-2011 by ANOMALY502 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

LOL. I have had LEOs take my concealed permit and say, "why are you giving me this?" One even said, "is this a threat?" I always just calmly tell them that it is to avoid any misunderstandings, and I do it at the advice of my Police Chief and FBI friends. Usually handing them my concealed permit with my driver's license makes the whole encounter go rather quickly. The normal patrol cops don't want to prolong an encounter with an armed person. I think it actually gets me out of tickets sometimes. I have also had a few curious soles that want to talk about guns. I had one guy ask me where the gun was, and then asked if I would please not put my hands in that area. I told him that was a fair request as long as he kept his snapped into the holster as well, LOL! He thought that answer was funny, so and I was soon back on my way.

A couple of quick stories, but with a point:
We have to remember that most cops have very, very basic training. I have been in and out of cop cars way too many times. I once took a 15 mile ride and I was uncomfortable with my hands cuffed in the back, so I quietly pulled through and put them in the front. When they got me out of the car, they were not happy! I once had a cop place his weapon in a lock box and didn't close the door, then he turned his back to me and the gun and proceeded to do something else. I nudged him with my hip (didn't want to raise my hands) and said, "you must really trust me." He was not amused at all, locked it up, and didn't speak to me again! I thought it was pretty sweet of me to not keep it as a souvenir!

Most cops are just high school graduates with a few months of basic weapons training, and they almost never encounter a real predator or felon. They get through entire careers with only a couple of memorable encounters. If we intend to exercise our rights, we need to keep in mind that for most LEOs it is just a job, and they want to go home to their family just like we do. We have to be honest, calm, firm, but not assertive, and we have to give them options to save face and walk away. We can't be a know-it-all, and we have to extend mutual respect.

Two armed people meeting in a confrontational setting like a traffic stop or a suspected crime scene is a delicate and volatile situation even if everyone has the best intentions. In most cases, people like the ones on this forum are going to have more training and understanding of the law than the LEO does. Walk softly.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Sage advice. I swear, some of the stories told here I could be the subject of the story.

Depending on where many get there training and the requirements of the department, some are much more informed than others.

Great comment.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have absolutely nothing against open carry laws, and I find it really hard to believe that they simply went after this woman just because she had her gun on her hip.

I think if more states had open carry laws and more people exercised their right to carry their firearms this country would be a much better place.

I even agree with concealed carry laws. I think that having a permit to have a concealed weapon is smart. It changes a person from just some thug hiding a gun into a law abiding citizen who is exercising their right to protect themselves.

IF this went down as the OP has said (highly freaking doubtful) I think that the person in the Email has a definite case in civil court.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Did YOU click on the links?

The first case is OVER there wuk.

Here is the case again-

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF WISCONSIN MILWAUKEE DIVISION

I think I have enough evidence on this one even for the likes of you.

edit to add-
The first link is the lawsuit. The second and third are the offers and the judgement. Come on, you can do a little reading right?
edit on 4-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The entire premise of a permit to carry, whether open, or concealed, is unconstitutional.

All gun control laws are by definition an infringement, and must be repealed immediately.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Sorry, I usually don't bother clicking your links, they tend to send me to sites like WND and Breitbart.com and I simply won't soil my computer with that fecal matter.

Still, I have to agree that open carry laws must be respected by law enforcement, and people shouldn't be accosted for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Awesome!! I think.
At least the courts are finding for the victims.

What's amazing is I grew up in Racine, my entire fmily still lives there, and I live nearby,
yet this is news to me.

I suspect that this hasn't received much media attention, locally.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Believe it. It happens all the time.
From Wiki

* n 2008, Brad Krause of West Allis, Wisconsin was arrested by police for alleged disorderly conduct while openly carrying a firearm while planting a tree on his property. A court later acquitted him of the disorderly conduct charge, observing in the process that in Wisconsin there is no law dealing with the issue of unconcealed weapons.[25]

* On April 20, 2009, Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen issued a memorandum to district attorneys stating that open carry was legal and in and of itself does not warrant a charge of disorderly conduct. Milwaukee police chief Ed Flynn instructed his officers to take down anyone with a firearm, take the gun away, and then determine if the individual could legally carry it until they could make sure the situation is safe.[26]

Here is from the Milwaukee Journal-

Milwaukee's police chief said he'll go on telling his officers to take down anyone with a firearm despite Van Hollen's finding that people can carry guns openly if they do it peacefully.

Link

I could list many more.

You're obviously not from Wisconsin.
If you were, you'd know this insanity has been going on for far too long.
edit on 4-1-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The only people I've ever seen carry open looked like respectable humans exercising their rights to protect them self's. It's the wanna be gang bangers/meth heads packing that scare me. Where I live has a lot of CCW given out, and it makes me feel safer if anything.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I personally despise lethal firearms and wish they and the people that made them never existed..give me a startrek phaser with a stun fnction anyday..but thats not the point....I am writing just to say it makes me very hapy to see everyday people *acting* in defiance of tyrranical abuses of power!

Go Wisconson!

Rosha.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Enjoy your right to self preservation while you may.
It is definately going to be a long haul to keep them.
The 2nd ammenment rights will always be under assault.
The final battle to keep your arms will never be over.....
Good luck amerika.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Too bad these settlements do not come out of the Leo's pockets.. That might straighten them out a bit.. Better yet, how about charge them with the same crime we would be charged with if we just pulled our firearm on someone. And lets not forget kidnapping, which this lady clearly was.

Deebo

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

I am from NY. I have a permit. The fact that the gun is holstered makes it concealed. You just cant go waving the thing around

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Well, here in Ky if the gun is holstered and you are wearing it on your side then it is not concealed. You are open carrying...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yes, the problem with concealed carry is the police are called when someone accidentally exposes the gun. Then they are arrested for "Brandishing" their weapon.

There has been many incidents of this.

I hope they continue, because the police and cities will be sued and they WILL LOSE just like in these cases.

Realize this folks, you either have the right or pass an amendment to take it away.

Like THAT will ever happen. No, you will have the control freaks attempt their maneuvers of gun control like always. Sorry to tell you, we might have to have a open carry in Washington DC this year.

The Supreme Court has overturned the draconian city laws of places like Chicago and DC. By the way, two of the worst cities in the nation for gun violence.

Hmmmm, seeing a pattern folks?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I wonder why LEO are so paranoid about open/concealed carriers. How often do those people actually commit crimes? Are there statistics on this? I would think that it would be close to zero. If you are going to follow the law and obtain a permit, then you are likely to follow other laws as well, no? My opinion is that most LEO think they are special and that only they should be allowed to carry a firearm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join