It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'N'-Word Edited Out Of Latest Huck Finn Edition

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

If Shindlers list was filled with the K word [I really don’t know if it was] then I could understand Jewish people who might have issues with Jewish children seeing that in school.

The autobiography of Malcolm X might offend some white people; I could understand that as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is anti white racism at it's PC finest, and an affront to literature and history, and here we see so many people applauding it. Sad country this is. This is akin to classic nude painting now having clothes painted over them, or classical nude statues being forced to put clothes on. This is a BIG BROTHER act of anti-freedom.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is kind of ridiculous.

How can we possibly keep record of our history if we feel we have the right to "modernize" everything?

Talk about rewriting history!

As a side question...what happens after we have washed all of this "hatred" out of history and art? Will we be doomed to repeat our mistakes due to our ignorance of the past?

I think leaving things like this intact is a perfect, and stark, reminder of where we have come from, and to where we need to go.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

C'mon, you can do better than that.

Here's the rub about history, and books based on time periods. Language is everything in understanding how things were. If you take out all the racist words of books written within a certain time period then you literally erase how those time can per understood within its perspective. That's just how people of that day and age talked, and it should be reflected in the literature of that day and age.

But, perhaps you are right. Let's just start sanitizing everything.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by tom502

Roots coulda stayed where it was it was a mental brainwashing show designed to lower somes confidence to feel this is all they deserve so they could edit roots down to a 2 minute commercial.

How was Roots a mental brainwashing show?Its based in the reality of the time,just like Huck Finn is.Ya can't praise one for being honest & call the other propaganda.Seems to me that you want "political correctness" when it applies to white people.

Anyway,I'm black,and I think it should stay.Its part of American history.Its part of why things are the way they are today.Let's speak the truth & shame the devil.I think its more offensive to act like we've always had equality,racism never existed & blacks just ended up in our current state cuz we're inferior.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join