It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crescent Sunrise & Double Solar Eclipse Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is very cool! Did any of our members from up that way happen to see this?

FULL STORY

CRESCENT SUNRISE: Earlier today, the new Moon passed in front of the sun, slightly off-center, producing a partial solar eclipse and a fantastic crescent sunrise over Europe. Dennis Put sends this picture from Maasvlakte, The Netherlands:

Then, there was this as well:

Turn your cell phone into a field-tested satellite tracker. Works for Android and iPhone. Satellite flybys DOUBLE SOLAR ECLIPSE: Not satisfied with an ordinary blow-your-socks-off partial eclipse (see below), celebrated photographer Thierry Legault traveled to the Sultanate of Oman to record a rare double eclipse. For a split-second on Jan. 4th the disk of the sun was partially covered by the Moon and the International Space Station: must-see photos.

Check out This Image with the Sun, Moon, and Space Station!

edit on 4-1-2011 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Hi I saw this on my way to work this morning, it was pretty cool. not much else to say but that really!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Took this pic from my top floor... it was a case of sit and wait for aaaages though as the blasted clouds wouldn't budge... then they broke for a while when I had my eyes shut and I 'saw' it was lighter... opened my eyes and this was in front of me!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Nice pic, I was on the M1 Driving and sunrise was in front of us the whole way, no clouds so had a good view of most of it, randomly it didn't hurt yours eyes to look at it at all really.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Very nice pic, Im glad you were lucky enough to catch it! Cool all you folks happened to see it!

I really like the second picture I linked too that shows the space station looking so tiny!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Yeah it is a good pic, it reminds me of one showing the shuttle in front of the sun... very small... what's the other black dot in the bottom right?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOdogg

Yeah it is a good pic, it reminds me of one showing the shuttle in front of the sun... very small... what's the other black dot in the bottom right?

You know I was curious about that as well. It almost looks like its diameter is about the same as the space station, so it can't be all that small. Curious it is. I don't think we have any round planes yet do we???

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOdogg
reply to post by yzzyUK

Nice pic, I was on the M1 Driving and sunrise was in front of us the whole way, no clouds so had a good view of most of it, randomly it didn't hurt yours eyes to look at it at all really.

There was so much cloud cover though wasn't there? I used two pairs of sunnies [yeah yeah I know it's still bad... so bite me] and stood there for ages waiting for that darn photo... lmao... The people on the road outside must have thought I was some weirdy stalker with my camera lense hanging out the window and two pairs of sunnies on!!

[photo taken in Essex]

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I have seen pics like that before could be a sun spot but i would expect to see more.. I am tho no expert! and no round planes or space stations I know of!

EDIT - Its mercury.... I have seen pics like this before and its little old mercury I think... you may say, "but that station size"... but we don't know distances... if i had to guess it would be Mercury but again im no expert

edit on 4-1-2011 by TheOdogg because: relised the answer to my own questioning

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

we were in the east Midlands..... there were clouds but at the time we could see it the sun was rising so was still below the clouds.... lucky I guess... normally we curse that the sunrise is bang on the motor way and is blinding in the morning.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Very cool post. I am pretty sure those other "blemishes" on the sun in the OP image are sun spots.

Anyway I found a few more images of the eclipse today:

Source

Source

Source

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Nvm
edit on 6-3-2011 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

What exactly do you mean with "unplanned"??

I even made a thread to inform people about this event taking place.

January 4, 2011 – Partial Solar Eclipse Reminder

You did notice that this thread was created back in January right?

Please elaborate.

Peace
edit on 6-3-2011 by operation mindcrime because: link

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Gab1159

What exactly do you mean with "unplanned"??

I even made a thread to inform people about this event taking place.

January 4, 2011 – Partial Solar Eclipse Reminder

You did notice that this thread was created back in January right?

Please elaborate.

Oh yeah I see, January...I instinctively thought it was dated March 4th sorry...
Peace
edit on 6-3-2011 by operation mindcrime because: link

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

I thought this was the case because it happens to me all the time!!

Peace

new topics

top topics

join