It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is sodomy a crime? Is it anti-gay?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hi,

This is my first post here besides my into post.
I decided to make this thread because it has me wondering.
In local news, this man contacted another man, I think through Facebook, or some other social network thing, and they met, and as far as I can tell, had consensual gay sex. Then, the one guy comes up missing. And the local guy says now, that why they were having sex, the guy died. So, either he's telling the truth, and then did a total dumb thing, and gets rid of the body, he said he dumped the body in a trash dump. Or he could be lying and purposely killed the guy.

But anyway, he's in jail now, and being charged with, well, this is from the link:
"O'Bryan has been charged with murder, sodomy, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence."

So, my question is, what "is" sodomy? Now if he killed the guy on purpose, that's murder, but unless he forced sex on him, that would be rape, and it doesn't say rape. Sodomy, as far as I know, is any "non-vag" sex. So, does this mean he is being charged for having gay sex? Is gay sex illegal?

I don't understand?
www.whas11.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
“So, my question is, what "is" sodomy?”

WOW emmmm sodomy is the act of one man inserting his penis into another man’s or womans anus. Gay sex is not illegal in most of the developed western world.

Just as well you found us because you seem to have allot of ignorance needing to be denied.

This is your thread, I will always remember you for that line “what is sodomy”

edit on 4-1-2011 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tom502

Hi. I checked up and apparently consensual gay sex is a crime in Kentucky if you're over 16.

Kentucky made up for its slow movement through the 19th and earlier 20th centuries. In 1992, the Kentucky Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that the sodomy law was an unconstitutional violation both of privacy and equal protection of the laws. The sweeping language used by the Court labeled Gay men and Lesbians as suspect classes under Kentucky law, something that has very broad implications for areas of law such as government employment and child custody. Kentucky thus is the only state in the nation currently where Gay men and Lesbian have received such a legal standing.

Here's the link
Link

Pretty unbelievable really but guess that's what fanatical religious convictions and low intelligence results in. Maybe too much inbreeding or something. I think I also read somewhere that oral sex was considered sodomy and that a wife giving oral sex to her husband could be charged and sometimes still are. Go figure

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, I said what sodomy is, "non-vag" sex. And this guy having had gay sex with another man, has been charged criminally with sodomy. So, as my post asks, is being gay, engaging in consensual gay sex, a crime, in the USA? If it is not, then why is he being criminally charged with sodomy? That's like being charged with miscegengy.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

This thread just gets funnier, you actually Googled the world “sodomy” I bet you have been scarred for life.

link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

DP....... and no that wasn’t an innuendo.
edit on 4-1-2011 by kevinunknown because: DP

link   

Originally posted by tom502
Hi,

In local news, this man contacted another man, I think through Facebook, or some other social network thing, and they met, and as far as I can tell, had consensual gay sex. Then, the one guy comes up missing. And the local guy says now, that why they were having sex, the guy died. So, either he's telling the truth, and then did a total dumb thing, and gets rid of the body, he said he dumped the body in a trash dump. Or he could be lying and purposely killed the guy.

But anyway, he's in jail now, and being charged with, well, this is from the link:
"O'Bryan has been charged with murder, sodomy, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence."

So, my question is, what "is" sodomy? Now if he killed the guy on purpose, that's murder, but unless he forced sex on him, that would be rape, and it doesn't say rape. Sodomy, as far as I know, is any "non-vag" sex. So, does this mean he is being charged for having gay sex? Is gay sex illegal?

I don't understand?
www.whas11.com...

It all depends on what state you are in. In some places, yes, it is a crime, consentual or not.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
WOW emmmm sodomy is the act of one man inserting his penis into another man’s or womans anus.

Actually, the OP had it right. It's oral OR anal sex.

anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal

MW

Sodomy is no longer illegal in the US.

Sodomy in the US

Sodomy laws in the United States were largely a matter of state rather than federal jurisdiction, except for laws governing the U.S. Armed Forces. By 2002, 36 states had repealed all sodomy laws or had them overturned by court rulings. The remaining sodomy laws were invalidated by the 2003 U.S. Supreme Court decision Lawrence v. Texas.

I'm not sure how this man can be charged with something that's not a crime. Interesting.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

There is a fight over it though, as some states argue that it is states rights to make that law.

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
It all depends on what state you are in. In some places, yes, it is a crime, consentual or not.

Why would you even post something like that without looking it up first?

I don't get it.

link   

Originally posted by tom502
Hi,

There have been cases of people dying, during anal sex, due to the Vernal nerve (I think, something like that, I've only read it in news stories), which evidently is in the anal area and can cause instant death or something if activated. Usually extreme S and M in the cases I've read about though.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If I'm breaking a sodomy law where a cop can see me chances are the sodomy law is the least of my problems/charges.

Guess cops and judges just dont have enough keeping them busy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Why would you even post something like that without looking it up first?

I don't get it.

I did. And as I said, there is a fight over states rights in the matter, which is why some states still try and charge it as a crime.

So why exactly didnt YOU look THAT up?

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ok I am not homophobic, but i find it very funny the number of people Googleing the word sodomy.

What I will say is that in the UK sodomy is as I described hence phrases like “I will sodomise you” this may be slang

Note to mods: sorry to sound so crude if you want to remove this post feel free.

link   
reply to post by tom502

Depending on where you live in the USA, gay sex is illegal.
Altough that brings up another question. Is sodomy LEGAL between a male-female couple over there?
Or is any attempt at booty plundering considered a crime(in said states of the USA)?
edit on 4-1-2011 by CoffeeMonster because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2011 by CoffeeMonster because: (no reason given)

link   
Crazy. So, I guess gay sex is a crime in Kentucky.
Hmm, and there is a big gay, and gay club, and groups community here.
Seems to be odd that being gay is a crime in this state. Or engaging in the act, I should say, or admitting to it.

Weird. But yeah, it's been on the news now for a while, and no one ever questions the sodomy charge.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm not sure how this man can be charged with something that's not a crime. Interesting.

It is only his word that it is consensual, I would presume, since the other guy is dead. He did try to conceal the death which makes it suspicious from a law enforcement perspective, until proven otherwise, it would make sense that they would consider that the sodomy could have been forced, then it is rape and a crime. He has only been charged, not convicted.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Not to be pedantic but its the Vagus Nerve, and it could very well result in death if damaged its one of the main 12 cranial nerves. I have never heard of anyone dying as a result of a damaged Vagus nerve caused by anal sex but I can see how it would be possible.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Anyway, thanks all for the replies. I didn't google anything, other than the link of the news story, I knew what sodomy was, I just could not understand how/why he was bing charged with it, unless gay sex is a criminal act, and now, I guess at least for this state, it is. If it was nonconsensual, then it would be rape, and he is not being charged with rape. I just had no idea homosexual acts were a crime these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join