It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock up on thermal underwear. Now!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

you made me laugh..bravo !! not going to post a lot of nonsense..i live in FL. nw to be exact and we do
have cooooold spells and would be disasterous if changed jet stream etc made it stay that way for a while.
laugh at this ...many of us down here have many winter/fall like clothing items..some thermals can help
out especially worn with pants of thin materials ( thick ones can take too long to dry if hand washed and
hung to dry and you never know when u might have to catch rainwater and do that etc )
get a variety..you can always layer clothing like they do in Alaska etc..a few winters i lived in an old
house with inadequate heat here in florida and i thought i'd freeze..high humidity makes it seem worse too.
not sure if i have done this..but wrapping newspaper between layers helps insulate..hope we never need to
do that.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

A few cold weather tips.
1.Never buy cotton long johns, wool and polypropolene is best. Wool is the only natural fiber that insulates when wet. Cotton acts like a sponge and you freeze in your own sweat.
2. The layer closest to your skin should be a wicking layer, polypropolene works best. It transfers moisture from the body to the first insulating layer

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Some really great posts with good info on ways to stay warm if you have to venture out. I think this is good
for people where I live. As I for one, don't have a lot of experience in thermaldynamics.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I know that alcohol can help keep you warm
in cold weather.
Candy is dandy,but liquor is quicker

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

in cold weather.

Mamabeth!!!!!! the demon drink???? ( just teasing)

Seriously are silk thermals better than wool? Apart from being a wuss when it comes to the cold I also find wool itchy but haven't tried wool thermals.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I can do you one better than thermals. Go buy some under armour cold weather gear. Put the thermals over it. You will never be cold again.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It has been unusually cold here in Ca. The other day we got snow, can you imagine? Freaking SNOW!!! It was awesome! Of course it only stuck on the ground in a few scattered patches before melting away. As Californians, we truly don't know how do deal with the cold. Anything less than 60 degrees and I am to cold to move. Perhaps we should make it a point to get used to colder weather.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Can't help but laugh. hehe.

You little spoiled peeps in Southern California. Rushing out to buy thermal undies.
Which are great by the way. There is a store here and you can buy them in colors. Red. Yellow. Pink.

Always under my jeans on the weekends when I'm outdoors on the back of a horse. Or brushing horses.
Or cleaning up after horses. Yikes.

And Uggs. One must have Uggs for warm feet.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

It has been unusually cold here in Ca. The other day we got snow, can you imagine? Freaking SNOW!!! It was awesome! Of course it only stuck on the ground in a few scattered patches before melting away. As Californians, we truly don't know how do deal with the cold. Anything less than 60 degrees and I am to cold to move. Perhaps we should make it a point to get used to colder weather.

It's just that there have been times that I was so damn glad I had them on. There thin so you can still operate to the best of you're ability. You don't lose hardly any agility. Something you might need if you get caught in a sudden ice age. You can't go wrong with long underwear. The button flap could accommodate certain lifestyles I
suppose, just not for me.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

i have to agree with the OP on this one as i live in California as well most of the time its 70 degrees in the winter maybe 60 over the years but this cold is different. Its about 20 to 30 degrees colder then normal and in the summer lol try dry heat at 110 and a couple days out of the summer it reaches 120. dry heat is crazy because it sucks the water right out of you and dry cold sucks the heat right out of you as well. But dry cold is better then wet cold which for awhile in california with the rain wasn't that dry.
edit on 5-1-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A few quick replies.

1. Cotton is rotten, as goes the saying. Cotton against your skin is a good way to stay sweaty and get chaffed.

2. Poly materials are superb, but look for anti-microbial if you can. If you're anything like me, the poly underclothes provide an interesting funk.

3. Layers are essential if you're going to be outside. One thick layer over a cotton t-shirt is the worst.

4. Thanks to the Canuck for reminding me of the word, toque. I guess it's no sillier than saying "beanie".

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
COTTON KILLS!
Always remember that

Go for Silk or synthetics. I use both! Land's End Silk and/or Patagonia Capilene in various weights. Keeps my toasty and happy when I'm outside

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

i have to agree with the OP on this one as i live in California as well most of the time its 70 degrees in the winter maybe 60 over the years but this cold is different.

Huh! You HAVE to agree ? You write this as if it's some kind of inconvienience. Perhaps I should apologise for
writing a thread that you HAVE to agree with. Gives me an impression of a negative mindeset for sure.
Perhaps I'm making to much of your wording.

CX

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

in cold weather.

Hi mamabeth,

I always get confused with this one. I've heard many people say that alcohol is a good warmer, but on every first aid course i've done, they say not to give someone with hypothermia alcohol.

Then you see those mountain dogs with the brandy round their necks (are they real or did i just see them on a TV ad once? )

Or do you mean as a general winter warmer?

CX.
edit on 5/1/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

i have to agree with the OP on this one as i live in California as well most of the time its 70 degrees in the winter maybe 60 over the years but this cold is different.

Huh! You HAVE to agree ? You write this as if it's some kind of inconvienience. Perhaps I should apologise for
writing a thread that you HAVE to agree with. Gives me an impression of a negative mindeset for sure.

I think he's saying it in the context that he must definately agree with you as you are correct. Thats how it looks to me.

Good thread though randy, no matter how petty some obviously think thermals are.

I bought some the other day for the colder weather we've been having, now i wear them as a little extra comfort now and agaian. They were the wrong size however, too small so i gave them to my girlfriend.

Now she has suffered with the cold really bad ever since she had cancer, and she has hardly had them off of her backside since i sent them. She would suffer badly if she caught anything so i'm not going to belittle a thread about such an item.

CX.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

edit on 5-1-2011 by mamabeth because: chickened out and changed mind

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I think he's saying it in the context that he must definately agree with you as you are correct. Thats how it looks to me.

Good thread though randy, no matter how petty some obviously think thermals are.

I bought some the other day for the colder weather we've been having, now i wear them as a little extra comfort now and agaian. They were the wrong size however, too small so i gave them to my girlfriend.

Now she has suffered with the cold really bad ever since she had cancer, and she has hardly had them off of her backside since i sent them. She would suffer badly if she caught anything so i'm not going to belittle a thread about such an item.

CX.

The whole reason I made the thread . They have kept my ass cozy on wind blown construction sites with early
morning temps 20 degrees. I'd watch other workers here in So. Cal. stand and a steel barrel fire as I went right to work. I know for a fact they are a huge difference in staving off hypothermia. The nay sayers here are simply foolish to that effect. I hope your doll/sweetheart stays well my friend.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Reminds me of the time Intrepid leveled a fine at me as I was found guilty of a fopah. He sentenced me to good feelings and beer.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
reply to post by Bachrk

Trying very hard not to picture that - honest

Its been cold here in the UK as you know, I have recently bought myself some thermals and was shocked how much warmer I was when out working. Although I do work on this:

but in this type of weather:

Wrapping up warm with lots of layers really does help, as does the material used to make the garments.

Stay Warm and Stay Safe

oh and Bachrk, still trying not to picture anything

edit on 4-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

That is an awesome machine!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

really you took the fact that i agree with you as something bad. The only reason why i said i have too agree with you is because of all the other people thinking that its so much worse else where which is true but its beside the point. wow hope your not a cop or someone who owns a gun of some sort. Cops talking to OP So why did you shoot a 80 year old man? OP response " Well he said hello but it was evil and more like HEEELLLLLO!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join