It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock up on thermal underwear. Now!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by LadySkadi

So how do you feel about wool?

Second only to cashmere...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
For anything down to -40 Celcius, simple layering will work fine, no need for extra undies.

If you have the extra cash, get a nice set of merino wool thermals, but it really isn't neccessary.

My setup for regular winter wear in Alberta (0 to -40 celcius) is undies, pajama bottoms (tucked into socks), under shirt tucked into pajama bottoms, regular jeans and sweater on top. Add on jacket and a good set of gloves/toque/boots (I wear wool socks over my regular socks if I have to tromp around in areas where my feet can get wet) and you are set.

Remember when layering, you are trying to create seperate air zones, the more zones between you and the cold, the warmer you will be.

PS: If your jacket doesn't have a good collar, add a scarf.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Good quality wool, although expensive, is not itchy at all.

They have made huge advances in making ultra soft and silky wool products.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by LadySkadi

My Lady,Wool? Really? I can't think of anything I want to take off more than itchy wool. just won't do for me. To stay warm it has to stay on and that means being comfy. THERMALS baby.

Merino wool is soft and thin though some people are still sensitive to it and ya, it's spendy (not a bonus)...

edit on 4-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I didn't say it was currently freezing in Palm Springs. Pretty sure it dipped below freezing last night. dosn't get that cold there often K?

Lady

I get a rash from the stuff. that and those synthetic acrylic sheets. I might be isolated on the wool thing , but I can't stay in it very long. quality dosn't seem to matter. Guess I'm just sensitive,

edit on 4-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I prefer snuggling up on the couch with a good movie and the fire going.
Wine/booze helps too.

edit on 4-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Here in Berkeley CA it is chilly tho the sun is out finally after about 3 weeks.

I have fleece. Sheets, blankets, socks, pants, jackets, robes. Warm and very very soft.

CX

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Buy wool, wool, wool, merino wool!

I bought a merino wool hat a while back from the Ray Mears website, probably the lightest, yet warmest hat i've got.

I look a bit stupid in it, as i do with most hats, then again i look pretty stupid with hypothermia so i shouldn't grumble.

CX.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
My grandad, used to wear my Nan's tights (pantyhose) under his trousers when he worked outside during mid-winter.

I've also heard that in the old days, sorry I can't remember the era, they used to smother themselves in animal fat, then get someone to stitch the clothes onto them for the winter.

I wouldn't recommend either of those though. not that I've tried either of them.
edit on 4-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
My grandad, used to wear my Nan's tights (pantyhose) under his trousers when he worked outside during mid-winter.

I've known many a soldier do that under their combat trousers too. They are light and not too restrictive. Ok it took some explaining if you were injured and had to get your trousers removed.

Look good with a nice pair of heels too.

CX.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure there's not a cm of extra space in my jeans to squeeze long underwear in there.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You're in Southern California. It's winter so temperatures are going to be low. Your profile say's you are in Apple Valley, CA. where the temperature is mid 50's dipping down to mid to upper 20's. If it get's any colder just head over to Los Angeles where it's in the mid 60's. Where I live it's been in the low 30's dipping down to the teen's and nobody is panicking around here.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I lived in many different climates - I prefer sunny California and Florida. However at the moment I am in Indiana - we dip down in the low teens at night and high 20's during the day. I have always gone for the layers. If I wear just a wool sweater for example and find myself indoors where its hot I can't take that hot itchy thing off. With layers you can put on as much as possible, take off what you don't need. Always something skin smoothing as the bottom layer. I will never forget the New Years eve I wore angora to a party out of town - it was beautiful, spendy and itched me to death, I couldn't wait to get home to get it off and never wore it again.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Trying very hard not to picture that - honest

Its been cold here in the UK as you know, I have recently bought myself some thermals and was shocked how much warmer I was when out working. Although I do work on this:

but in this type of weather:

Wrapping up warm with lots of layers really does help, as does the material used to make the garments.

Stay Warm and Stay Safe

oh and Bachrk, still trying not to picture anything

edit on 4-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Panic much?

Comparing "Arctic Cold" to the weather is Southern California is like comparing a midget to Shaquille O' Neal.

The climate in the Arctic ranges in winter time from 32 degrees fahrenheit to -40 degrees fahrenheit with some places reaching as low as -56 degrees fahrenheit.

According to Weather.com (The weather channel) the current temperature in San Diego is 62 degrees with a low expected to be around 47. I hate to nitpick, but that is a far cry from "Arctic Cold". The temperature where I am is roughly about the same, and I am still riding my motorcycle every where I go... and I'm not wearing thermal underwear when I do it

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffeeMonster

Agreed! I live in North Dakota. I see temperatures in the -30s F several times a year, with -50F windchills. I don't even own long underwear, or even a sweatshirt for that matter!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Woah - that is awesome! I am one with my ATV, but it does not have snow tires and won't get up hills if there are more than a couple of inches. We are doing great for snow so far - had a bit for Christmas and now it is gone so I've been out almost every day. The dogs love it - damn, I ran clean over one of my Aussies the other day but luckily he was not hurt - phew ... I like to wear a face hood when I'm riding or just when I am out when it is really cold. I have a couple of those and they really make a difference.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

After seeing all these fish and bird kills I'm thinking your onto something there..

On my way to the st0re

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Vaseline!

The perfect emergency supply. Protects face and hands in bitter cold. Comes in handy for so many other reasons!

I do love some good thermal underwear, but I can't imagine ever needing them in SoCal. Here in Florida I wear them under my slacks when I ride the motorcycle on those few 20 degree mornings. Much easier than getting in and out of chaps.

Layers, layers, layers.

I also NEVER throw away a blanket! I have closets and a shed full of blankets. Never know when they will come in handy. I also have taken to collecting the "shock blankets" like they carry in ambulances. They are not much bigger than a deck of cards, but they are supposed to reflect 90% of your natural heat back in to you. I can store a dozen of those in a regular sized box! They also come in neat baggy shapes with hoods!

Aluminum Blanket Links
edit on 4-1-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I am my girlfriends mobile furnace. Cold hands or cold feet be rest assurred she will find a way to warm them up on my skin. Ya...winters are no problem for "her".

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join