It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why does the US not take the UFO phenomenon seriously?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hello all! I’m in the middle of reading Leslie Kean’s ‘UFOs’ and one thing that the book addresses is the difference between how the US handles UFO sightings compared to the rest of the world. Essentially every other country openly investigates UFO cases and takes the phenomenon seriously. It is required in most other countries for airline pilots or military personnel to report sightings of unidentified aircraft but in the United States people holding these same positions risk losing their job for such reports. I just cannot understand why the US wants to act like UFO’s don’t exist. I know it has been speculated that perhaps they are covering information up in order to prevent mass chaos but they can see by example set in other countries that generally people don’t panic due to the release of this sort of information. I can’t see the reason being lack of interest since these objects could pose possible threats and well, massive aerial vehicles maneuvering in incredible ways and traveling at impossible speeds in just a little bit interesting, no? Not to mention that it’s been revealed that they have secretly shown interest in obtaining the documents of cases occurring in other countries. I’ve wondered myself if maybe the United States is responsible for manufacturing these aircraft but surely if they were capable of such technological advancements in the late 40’s they would have introduced some of this technology to the public by now.
I’ve thought so much about this and no answer is satisfying me. So I’m wondering what you ATSers think is the most plausible explanation. Why is the United States so suspiciously indifferent when it comes to the subject of UFO’s?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I don't know that the US doesnt take it seriously, it's more likely that the US is just highly secretive about it.

Another explanation is that many of the UFO sightings around the world are actually US gov't projects.

ANother is that the US has alrady made contact, and thus already knows something.

No need to investigate them too seriosuly, when you already know what they are.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyStardust

The answer is right in front of you. The craft are of U.S. origin. Old Tesla designs from the 20's and 30's. This is why we don't give a crap. To the military they are identified. Remember with trillions of dollars, you can build anything big or small.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

that theory just doesn't make much sense to me. the things that UFO's are reportedly capable of doing would change the world in terms of transportation if they were available for public use. the US could be making insane amounts of money. why would they miss out on that?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I know it has been speculated that perhaps they are covering information up in order to prevent mass chaos but they can see by example set in other countries that generally people don’t panic due to the release of this sort of information.

There was a time when the US took it VERY seriously... Grudge and Sign, for instance...and even Blue Book, initially. However, there was then a shift in Blue Book to explain everything away. Since then (well, since the Condon Committee really), any government interest in UFOs has been behind closed doors.

In other nations, they haven't disclosed squat. Until they show either a live being or a real spacecraft, there isn't full disclosure....and PANIC isn't the main problem. There are so many things to consider...especially the introduction of a new technology.

Here's an example. A simple motor that runs on seawater. Sounds great, right? But, if you go too fast...

The oil companies go belly up, millions lose jobs, increasing the unemployed, the housing bubble bursts as folks can't meet their mortgages. A flood of repo houses kills the market, furthers a recession, etc.

Kind of like deja vus no? And this is what we've seen even WITHOUT such a revelation...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Well look at it this way.. No first look at the Youtube evidence. Actually I don't think they have the time to pile through mountains of crap. Maybe 5% of sighting are legitiamate. Not a good way of spending time. Left to me they would only investigate UFO that register on radar.

Now I expect some expert to post that radar images are not necessarily a credible creteria for UFOs.

Anhyway I am really fed up with the state of UFology.
edit on 4-1-2011 by tiger5 because: edit

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I’m in the middle of reading Leslie Kean’s ‘UFOs’

I am 3/4 through the same book!

This question of gross negligence in investigating UAP will no doubt, eventually, come back to a decision made by someone long ago who is now dead, buried and extremely dusty.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is serious on the subject of UFOs.

The hardbound edition is available now... the paperback comes out in August (I think).

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My take on it is that government does not want to lose control of its assets- one of them being people. So your or the general publics' belief in UFOs might focus on a point of believing governments or the controllers of the human race are damaging the planet through weapons testing, environment mismanagement, and corporate negligence and greed. You currently enable the government to do that to by belief, paying your taxes, obey their laws. This is what the government wants.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The usa most definately take it most serious. Do you think ufos over white house was not taken serious, of course it was.

They obviously have alot of answers that we do not, and i think it goes further, but who really knows.

For me most definitely humans do not run planet earth, how ever the system works, 99.99% will never even get close to any truths on this, or can even imagine the truths.

Like bll clinton once said, no soul on this planet truly knows.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
As someone said the other governments really haven't put any evidence out there. When the People, Fear something they tend to Panic and to disclose that there may be little green men or little grey ones with big almond eyes could really scare the crap out of people. Therefore deny everything as swamp gas or lanterns. At some point, the governments will have to come up with a better excuse for what I have seen and many others have seen as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I just want to point out the biggest business for the US is Military. If technology taken from an "Alien Craft" or anything extraterrestrial has the capabilities to provide more efficient, even renewable sources of energy or nutrition then it would be in the governments best interest for themselves as power mongers to keep the information secret.

Seriously, what use is their for a military if the technology is available to enable all the resources everyone need to prosper in life. Conflict would become obsolete, which would obviously do the same to the military, thus stripping the United States of all its power over the rest of the world. In my opinion ofcourse

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SooperFadeaway

Exactly, the world has to be practical, i.e us and them, and that means the ptb will continue doing bad things.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
thanks everyone for the posts! all theories are interesting and have given me more to think about.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The US government do take the subject seriously. Imagine if they thought that a group of us were getting advanced technology from genuine E.T.'s. They'd be there like a shot, like any government. Remember, knowledge is power...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
There has been a long culture of covering it up and ridiculing it. There are lots of reasons why, it is going to take time to turn this trend around. Beliefs take a long time to form and a long time to change, some people may never fully accept it but once it is out in the open most people will.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

why does the US not take the UFO phenomenon seriously?

Uh, simply put....and I hate to state the blatantly obvious here....but they don't take it seriously because they don't have to. There is no SERIOUS public demand that would compel them to do so. Plain and simple. Thanks to the fact that his subject is filled with ignorant fools and total nut-jobs, and the loudest fools among us seem to have handled our PR for the last several decades, well......this subject can't be taken seriously by Joe Public, so the government isn't stressed about it either.

Thanks to the internet, this subject has devolved into a cesspool of complete and total ignorance combined with outright frauds (and the ignorant that repeatedly support them).

If there ever was a real government cover up, and I believe there was, there is no need for them to spend any money or time to really cover it up any more. We do it for them at no charge by making sure this subject remains the laughable joke that we have allowed it to become. Since the average taxpayer can't take it seriously, I don't think the government is really worried about "disclosure", lol.

And last but not least, all those other countries that "disclosed' all their files....well, come on man....they didn't disclose anything really. No smoking gun, nothing that even adds jack squat to this subject. They might as well just made youtube videos full of nothing but blurry lights for the masses of ignorant ufo believers to drool over.
edit on 4-1-2011 by IgnoreTheFacts because: can't type

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What does US take seriously? Mounting trade deficit, Insurmountable national debt, Slacking of education system?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Absolutely correct, Gazrock!
I completely agreed.

The problem is to begin the disclosure, but seriously.

There are many discovery in space exploration, even in our solar system, that if correcly "bring" from MSM to the people, these news are able to awakening the human race.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
LOL US government

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Best post on this site in quite a while.

That about sums it up. UFOlogy and ignorance unfortunately go hand in hand.

I also think the other problem is that many unfortunately turn UFOlogy into some pseudo-religious "cult" where belief is the only "proof" required. It happens even on this site, and it's sad/frustrating.

As far as the general public, I don't think the average person laughs at the idea of aliens: I've had many conversations with random acquaintances who seemed very open to the possibility of alien life, I just think it's not a subject on the forefront of most peoples' minds, therefore there's no "press" on the government for information.

We are in the minority, being the kind of people that SEEK information on the topic, rather than simply being satisfied by the small tidbits occasionally displayed in mass media which I'd say accounts for at least 99.8% of the population.
edit on 4-1-2011 by SaosinEngaged because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join