It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantic Currents Have Seen 'Drastic' Changes: Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Atlantic Currents Have Seen 'Drastic' Changes: Study

AFPGoogle

GENEVA — Scientists have found evidence of a "drastic" shift since the 1970s in north Atlantic Ocean currents that usually influence weather in the northern hemisphere, Swiss researchers said on Tuesday.

The team of biochemists and oceanographers from Switzerland, Canada and the United States detected changes in deep sea Atlantic corals that indicated the declining influence of the cold northern Labrador Current.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

Jet Stream problems!
edit on 4-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well here we have the formal announcement.

A disruption or shift in the oscillation.

I dont think they are telling us everything, but maybe they dont know themselves?

So looks like the harsh weather is here to stay.

Could this explain the other reports of different weather patterns, flooding and perhaps even the wildlife disruptions?

Scientists have pointed to a disruption or shifts in the oscillation as an explanation for moist or harsh winters in Europe, or severe summer droughts such as in Russia, in recent years.

AFP Google
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
How long before the ``humans CO2 caused global warming`` tards show up?

I bet not long.

The Atlantic currents have WAY MORE IMPACT on the climate than stupid CO2, which according to even the UN report, humans are only responsible for about 10-12% of global emissions each year.

Al Gore can go hang himself in his McMansion on the beach (which he wouldn't have bought if he really believed in that ``oceans are rising`` BS he's been pushing).

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
gOm FAULT UM JUST sayEN...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah Al Gore and his "New Global Terror Is Climate Change"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Whats interesting, at the bottom of the OP write up they tucked it in...

"Now the southern current has taken over, it's really a drastic change," Schubert told AFP, pointing to the evidence of the shift towards warmer water in the northwest Atlantic........

"The researchers suspect there is a direct connection between the changes in oceanic currents in the North Atlantic and global warming caused by human activities," said EAWAG in a statement.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The weather is very complex with many interactions. I see the climatologist as the best source for working this stuff out. Hope they do soon.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Op I dont know if you noticed but your title.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

regarding the tards, would it be wrong in thinking if they were so concerned about it, they would come to the decision/conclusion that it would be better to jump off a high bridge thus sacrificing themselves for the cause. it may sound harsh but if they feel we are all to blame then the only avenue logically other than shutting up and planting trees is to top oneself.
f

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

is this the same al gore who owns mineral mines in south america?
2nd
f

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If this means the cold weather stays in Florida, I just might learn to love it there!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I just find it funny that all of these scientists seem surprised. We live in a constantly changning, dynamic environment. Do they really expect ocean currents to stay the same forever? It's water... it will flow around things in a certain way and as soon as something changes, so too will the currents. Simples.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I agree, they seem to be finding new stories all of the time.

Like this one here, where they reveal that Europes mild weather due to the Gulf Stream was a myth.
www.americanscientist.org...

I will however give them credit for admitting a few months ago that Global Warming is "Out" and
Global Climate Change is In. At least they admit they really dont know.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
For Instance, here is a link from NASA back in April of 2004.

science.nasa.gov...

March 5, 2004: Global warming could plunge North America and Western Europe into a deep freeze, possibly within only a few decades.

That's the paradoxical scenario gaining credibility among many climate scientists. The thawing of sea ice covering the Arctic could disturb or even halt large currents in the Atlantic Ocean. Without the vast heat that these ocean currents deliver--comparable to the power generation of a million nuclear power plants--Europe's average temperature would likely drop 5 to 10°C (9 to 18°F), and parts of eastern North America would be chilled somewhat less.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

"The researchers suspect there is a direct connection between the changes in oceanic currents in the North Atlantic and global warming caused by human activities," said EAWAG in a statement.

That is just the GET OUT OF JAIL card necessary to get a paper published now a days. If you bother to look most science papers have a similar statement.

At times it is really laughable because it such a Non Sequitur in many papers.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Ha, good point. LOL. Your right!

I find it highly suspicious that they just now "conclude" a study that determines what was already
observed over the period of the last few years.

And throw the Gulf Stream distuption into the mix....
europebusines.blogspot.com...

The climate cash cow.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Now your talking

The die offs... many of the 'reasons' being given are "cold water", "cold weather". They are NOT giving us actual details of temperatures, just saying 'cold'.

There was a movie out that covered sudden changes in the Atlantic Current... a drastic drop in temperature

"The Day After Tomorrow"

It started with weird animal deaths, freak weather and the drastic drop in current temperature. It also was based on supposed 'global warming' but then it switched to an ice age literally over night.

This current was responsible for the mini ice age in Europe that saw the invention of the fireplace. In the previous ice age we saw mammoths frozen with undigested food, like they were flash frozen...

The Lake Vostok ice core samples show Earth's temperature record for 415,000 years

And now they are talking 'super storm' going to hit California?

edit on 19-1-2011 by zorgon because: AARGGGGGGG

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon,

But wait, you know the recent rash of animal deaths are all normal and each one has its own logical explanation!

As you well pointed out....expert after expert using the terms "we think" or "we are not sure"
or "we dont know for sure"

Just what does it take to be an "expert these days.

I find it curious that this little article was one that was just tucked away somewhere, did not get much attention.

Yet, its conclusion is that life on earth has changed as we knew it.

Where is the sensation? I read that this "Drastic" change can speed up, will find that article and post here later.

Great charts by the way.

new topics

top topics

join