It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victoria river mysteriously turns bright green

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Victoria river mysteriously turns bright green

news.nationalpost.com

Horrified nature-lovers at Goldstream Provincial State Park watched as the Goldstream River turned bright green late Wednesday afternoon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-1-2011 by PatriotsPride because: misspelling

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This New year is really off to a crazy start with all the birds and fish dying, now a river turns bright green!!! It looks like anti freeze you put in your car!! Does anyone have an idea as to what can cause this? It looks like some sort of toxic chemical. I was glad to read that the river turned back to normal though...The article also mentions that a fountain turned bright green as well, very strange indeed!!

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Mods could you please move this thread to its proper forum,i did not realize this story is older than 36 hours... Thank You.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
But no dead animals resulting in the river turning green,so if it was a toxin wouldn't there had been dead fish are birds something that mght have died being in the water are drinking it

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

It possibly could have been someone set off and ocean dye pack that military pilots use to mark the ocean when they see aircraft searching the area. It makes them much easier to find by SAR (Search and Rescue). I don't know, but it probably isn't toxic and that is why it didn't kill anything.

Well, I didn't see the video, but what is Fluroscene???
edit on 4/1/11 by spirit_horse because: Video

link   
Edit: Just watched the video. Glad to hear it's not toxic, but I want to know who's responsible for this? Maybe I just missed it in the video but I don't think they said...
edit on 1/4/2011 by SFlowers because: (no reason given)

link   
ugh! looks like green paint spilled in there?

what chemical makes that color?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ccc04c2411b7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

From the comments section:

easy answer to this:
My favourite artist, Olafur Eliasson.

He has done this to a few rivers around the world and watches and studies how the public and media react to the river.

www.olafureliasson.net...

"Eliasson watches spectators [present and media forms] and studies their responses in a search for new ways of surprising them, of heightening their perceptions. When he talks about his Green River project, for example, it is mostly in terms of how the witnesses react. Green River involves dyeing a river green, and so far he has done it four times. In Tokyo, he says, ‘a lot of people stopped and looked… And of course they were stunned. I did it in a spot where the cherry blossom comes out a month later. It’s well known as a beautiful place. Actually the police came and. basically I ran away. And the police then put up posters asking anybody who had seen somebody suspicious to contact them. [He laughs.] I have a photograph of the poster.’

It is, as he puts it, ‘a kind of action’. He doesn’t seek permission (though he makes sure the dye is safe) and he doesn’t give notice; he also picks fairly small sites and it’s all over in two or three hours. ‘If you do it on a big stage the mediation of the project immediately becomes quite sensational. I’ve tried to avoid that spectacular approach.’ The purpose of the project is the response. ‘Los Angeles, Stockholm, Tokyo are places where the relationship between the water and the city is completely different, and the way people experience and refer to the water in their local setting is very different. It has been interesting for me to investigate that relationship.’"

Read more: news.nationalpost.com...

Now, I don't think it has been verified that this is what is happening, but it is one explanation.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It could very well be something like that, thanks for your reply

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Guys read the comments below the original article in the link. Someone makes a plausible suggestion that it's a particular artist who has used the harmless dye in other places too, to see how the public react. The is a pic linked in the comment showing the same being done in Tokyo I think. So what I'm suggesting is either it's the artist, or someone who got the idea from that guy and copied him with the harmless green dye trick. Odd thing to do in my opinion though.

I see In the time it took me to type this someone has also pointed out the same.
edit on 4/1/2011 by Doyle because: Beaten to it >. extra DIV

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good to hear that the alarming colour change has ceased, and that the chemical appears to be largely harmless.
I get the impression that the use of it on repeated occasions (ST Patrick's day) was the cause of concern in the previous case of this stuff being released into a water way, so although this incident occured closer to an area of natural importance, its of less concern than say for instance glowing nuclear effluent (which lets face it , is what it looked like
).
Of course, regardless of the apparant lack of long term risk that this so far isolated event might pose, it is important that the person or persons responsible for the release of the chemical be bought to book, to prevent them, or anyone else repeating the process later on. The very last thing that fragile ecology needs at this point is random deliveries of unfamiliar chemicals, dangerous or not !

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
love it! - if its art - hate it - if it's chems

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
love it! - if its art - hate it - if it's chems

What if it's both?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Well, I didn't see the video, but what is Fluroscene???

It's used as a water soluble dye to track water-based experiments, and seems to be used in optometry. What bugs me is the side effects of it:

Topical, oral, and intravenous use of fluorescein can cause adverse reactions, including nausea, vomiting, hives, acute hypotension, anaphylaxis and related anaphylactoid reaction, causing cardiac arrest and sudden death due to anaphylactic shock. Source

Also, as mentioned in the video, flourescein was used to dye the Chicago River green for St. Patrick's day, but was discontinued for fear of damage to wildlife. What I want to know is WHO put this into the water supply, and WHY?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

haha if its harmless dye than its a-okay. if its something harmful for the sake of art, then its not cool in my book.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Its not nice to fool with Mother Nature.

Who would do this, its just wrong!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It look an awful lot like dye... It may be a prank, artsy attempt or something else, but if nothing turned up dead then it must be dye.
edit on 4-1-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

It looks like something from a horror movie.. Ever see Cabin Fever?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

the amount of dye it would take to turn a whole river bright green is way too much for one guy to pull off IMO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join