It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani opposition gives government ultimatum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Pakistani opposition gives government ultimatum

news.yahoo.com

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan's main opposition leader gave the government a three-day deadline Tuesday to accept a list of demands if it wants to avert its possible collapse after the loss of its ruling majority in parliament.

Sharif said the government must reverse the price hikes, cut government expenditures by 30 percent and implement a series of court verdicts against ruling party officials for corruption. He said they must accept the demands within 72 hours and show progress within 45 days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I havent really been up to date on the stuff going on in Pakistan, so im not really sure how this all works. What I have heard is that Pakistan is a pretty volitale place of late.

This is just a guess but I think this looks like it may be a change in how the government works there. Do the people support the current opposition or do they support the original government?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
this is not good.
terrorists holding a nuclear power
gov hostage ????
wow

and I wonder what the consequences will be
if they are denied???

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Terrorists? Um, could you elaborate on that a bit please, from what I understand they are the official opposition party in Pakistan.... Or is it the old "all groups with 'Muslim' in their name are terrorists" thing?

Just wonderin'.

J.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Sounds like the population is getting feed up with the corruption going on. This is an internal matter so there is no point in releasing the nuclear arsenal. The military usually keep pretty tight reigns on it, so they are probably just sitting back and see who wins. Not sure of all the dynamics going on but it sounds like if there is going to be any fighting it will be in parliament.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
this is not good.
terrorists holding a nuclear power
gov hostage ????
wow

and I wonder what the consequences will be
if they are denied???

'Terrorists'? I really wish people would stop throwing this word around at every turn .... it's a sign of the brainwashing that has taken place by TPTB that ordinary citizens use it indiscriminately and ubiquitously to discredit a person or group without stating any proper case.

edit on 4-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Star for that! My sentiments were the same.
Seems everyone is a terrorist these days, Assange, Pakistan opposition party, PETA (pie in face of Canadian fisheries minister, lol, I'd like to see more of that kind of terrorism)....
On a lighter note, if causing terror is the definition of a terrorist, shouldn't Stephen King, John Carpenter, etc be considered terrorists too?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
we are all terrorists in one form
or another.

Our own gov are terrorists.
ATS members are terrorists.
If you release secret gov cables on the net, ur a terrorists
etc.... etc....

Being a terrorist is only a matter of perspective
and timing.

I guess George Washington would have been
considered a terrorists by England. He caused
them lots of terror.

Giving a gov body an ultimatum for an agenda
sure sounds like terrorism to me. Refusing their
demands will mean a Pakistani Regime collapse.
Is that not terror ???? regardless of WHO that
demand comes from ???

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Its a Government that has many political parties, which means coalitions are formed in order to rule. The issue here appear to be Government spending and pissing of the population. The "threat" is nothing more than comply or we will remove you.

Since the ruling party lost part of its coalition, it will be difficult to get things done now. If they dont comply, the opposition parties are going to band together, call for a vote of no confidence to remove the Prime Minster and hold elections.

For a country who has had a few coups, its refreshing to see communication between parties, and issues dealt with in a manner of using the rule of law.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Since the ruling party lost part of its coalition, it will be difficult to get things done now.

so does that mean the Democratic Party in America
can force the Republicans to resign cuz they lost
their control in the midterms ???

That's not democracy or rule of law,
that's coercion by force otherwise
known as a blood-less coup.
And there is nothing legal about it.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Since the ruling party lost part of its coalition, it will be difficult to get things done now.

so does that mean the Democratic Party in America
can force the Republicans to resign cuz they lost
their control in the midterms ???

That's not democracy or rule of law,
that's coercion by force otherwise
known as a blood-less coup.
And there is nothing legal about it.

Thats how a coalition Government works. Take a gander at some of the European countries and you willfind they do the same thing.

When one party does not garner enough votes to rule on their own, they form coalition governments. The problem with that is they are 2 seperate parties for a reason, meaning different ideas on governing, monetary policy, foreign policy, domestic issues etc.

This creates an enviornment of compromise. The ruling party made unpopular decisions, and those decisons were not supported by their coalition partners. Whether we like it or not, thats the Government the people in Pakistan chose, and to date have not changed it.

Sure its goofy to us since we dont have that type of system, but I would not call it terrorism or anything like that. The US has this in Congress, when one party wants to pass a bill and the opposing party does what they can to block it for whatever reasons.

Heck the US at one point listed the Office of the President and Vice President during elections as 2 seperate positions, instead of the way we do it now with a vote for pres and vp at the same time. A Republican President, a Democrat as Vice President. Sometimes I think if the US had more active political parties we might be better off, since we can get differing persectives and ideas to fix problems, instead of the bs we have now.

Just once here in the US I would like to go to the polls to vote for real change instead of the lesser of who cares.

As I said before, the simple fact these groups are talking to each other, in addition to using established law to resolve the issue says a lot. It could easily have devolved into another Coup.
edit on 4-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
is this how a coalition gov works also???

Pakistani Governor shot and killed by own bodyguard

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

is this how a coalition gov works also???

Pakistani Governor shot and killed by own bodyguard

www.foxnews.com...

Uhm no... but then again why try to compare apples to tube socks?

top topics

join