It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to sign bill to improve nation's food safety

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Obama to sign bill to improve nation's food safety

news.yahoo.com

On Tuesday, Obama is getting a chance to allay people's fears about the safety of their food. He is set to sign a $1.4 billion overhaul of the food safety system, giving Washington new power to increase inspections at food processing facilities and force companies to recall tainted products.

Erik Olson, director of food and consumer safety programs at the Pew Health Group, argued that the health care costs associated with an outbreak of foodborne illness alone run into the tens of billions o
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 1/4/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Really.... $1.4 billion just for this? Ive thought that our food is pretty safe from diseases such as samonella and stuff like that.

Id personally rather have that money go to something such as stopping Monsanto and some of the GMO products which I believe are more deadly.

Heres one thing I dont really understand thats in the bill.

Increase inspections of domestic and foreign food facilities; the riskiest domestic facilities would be inspected every three years.

Only inspected every 3 years? If its risky, why not inspect them every year, or every month?.....

news.yahoo.com
edit on 4-1-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Give me a break. He has done naught for this nation IMHO. And this just seems like another way for big government to steal a little more control over goods and services....

ALL done for OUR safety of course. Ugh

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Maybe it would be more effective if he act as the official food taster.. Make him eat it and let the people watch him to see the side effects..

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Ok.
Why is there spending involved?
Doesn't our gov't already have agencies for this?
Why do they have to spend more money to inspect things that should be done right the first time?

You know, if it was me as POTUS, I wouldn't sign another bill...
I would mandate that the current agencies do their job.
And I wouldn't spend less time in the white house.

How does making a bill for this make sense?
I already know the bill passed and 'its for our safety'...
But someone explain to me why it should cost more money?

Nevermind.
I am more than fed up with idiocracy in the WH.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

lol - starred

I think if he truly wanted to help this country he would consider your idea. It would after all save loads of money.

Sometimes I wonder if they also do things like this to funnel money elsewhere and not have it MIA.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

agreed its to much government into privet food companies next thing you know they will try and add ingredients for safety. Personally our government scares me more then our food every will. It's feeling like we are going back into the 1950's and 40's like we are the test animals for DDT or some other kind of chemical testing.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It is great to see Obama starting to stand up to industry a bit more, the FDA was looking like a corporate lackey and good to see it getting some of its power back to help manage some of the food responsibilities a lot better. Also good to see that the small independents are getting a fair go with their responsibilities. Really need to go through all the details to make an informed comprehensive view, but the summary looks great.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
It is great to see Obama starting to stand up to industry a bit more, the FDA was looking like a corporate lackey and good to see it getting some of its power back to help manage some of the food responsibilities a lot better.

if u think this bill is gonna improve the FDA
then you are more disillusioned than I thought.
This bill just gives the gov more power to
control the food industry by harassing and
closing down Monsanto's competition.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Oh rest assured... BO and his wife will stand up. Then they will step in. After that they will move in. Next thing you know Michelle decides you aren't smart enough to choose what you would like to eat. She will be quite pleased to help you with that.

Slippery slope

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

edit on 4-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: Double post

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Years ago my Aunt worked at a plant that made prepared foods of such...Well she told us that they would make the product one way the the ones to be shipped all over U.S. now went they had to make the same items for Canada they would have to close down the line and clean it.Then start the product all over again with less chemical compounds in it...When asking her supervisor why? The response was that their country has alot more laws against this stuff, but it doesn't have as big of a shelf life....

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Isn't Clinton the one whom relaxed the FDIC rules to begin with, when he was in office?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The funny thing about this nonsense, well one of the funny things, is that is unemployment keeps rising, the dollar keeps falling and gasoline gets more and more expensive food will become increasingly local with concrete crap being torn down for open space. This will be more painful in urban areas and pretty much unnoticed in rural areas but what value will a "bill" like this have then?

When we're all local farmers and the fed is beyond bankrupt they'll still be sending out troops to check my 12 chickens and test my canned beans?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm surprised that recalls are not mandatory already in the U.S. food industry. From what I saw, some big U.S. farms would close from lack of hygiene if they were in Canada.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

if u think this bill is gonna improve the FDA then you are more disillusioned than I thought.

I have not read through all the Food bills details so you may be right, it would not be the first time a governments says one thing and does another. On the surface from the news post my impression was that it is more beneficial and an improvement to some of the more negative aspects discussed when the Food bill recently went through.

This bill just gives the gov more power to control the food industry by harassing and closing down Monsanto's competition.

I am aware of the problems Monsanto have been causing and they do need to be pulled back in line or shut down. I am not informed enough to reasonably comment how the Food bill relates to Monsanto. I can see a bit more public pressure and debate getting applied to Monsanto so that is a good start, hopefully the media will dig through the detail and expose the problems more clearly so action can be done.
edit on 4-1-2011 by kwakakev because: spelling 'news'

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Obama's pen is poisoned...the bills he signs are always destruction for the ordinary citizens.
edit on 4-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Really.... $1.4 billion just for this? Ive thought that our food is pretty safe from diseases such as samonella and stuff like that.

Id personally rather have that money go to something such as stopping Monsanto and some of the GMO products which I believe are more deadly.

Heres one thing I dont really understand thats in the bill.

Increase inspections of domestic and foreign food facilities; the riskiest domestic facilities would be inspected every three years.

Only inspected every 3 years? If its risky, why not inspect them every year, or every month?.....

news.yahoo.com
edit on 4-1-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

Ah, another Obama bashing thread. You complain about money spent to make our very own food supply safer, stating our food is already safe from salmonella "and stuff", and then when you notice that the riskiest facilities will be inspected every three years, you demand to know why it isn't every one year, or even every month.

So, after all, you don't mind paying for those monthly inspections? Thought you wanted to funnel money into more important areas than the food we eat everyday?

Confused much?
edit on 1/4/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Obama this Obama that Liberal this Liberal that. You do realize you will be whining about the next president and the president after that and the next one until you draw your last breath.

Want to improve food safety? Quit wrapping it in plastic. Its only expensive because you say it is. Cost is irrelevant in the illusion of money we love so much. Quit genetically tampering, get rid of the cornsyrup

Fix everyones teeth for free without the amalgam and metals. You will see a 300% increase in good health but we wouldnt want to do that. A healthy society means less pills, less doctors, less need for insurance which in turn collapses the world economy. Not to mention astronomical over population.

Since all this doesnt make sense and you want to keep thinking fiscally feesible fiscally not feesible we should all kill ourselves right now while we are ahead.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Don't the Department of Agriculture and the FDA already do these inspections? If not, what purpose do they serve? I mean,here's part of the mission statement directly from the USDA website:

USDA has created a strategic plan to implement its vision. The framework of this plan depends on these key activities: expanding markets for agricultural products and support international economic development, further developing alternative markets for agricultural products and activities, providing financing needed to help expand job opportunities and improve housing, utilities and infrastructure in rural America, enhancing food safety by taking steps to reduce the prevalence of foodborne hazards from farm to table, improving nutrition and health by providing food assistance and nutrition education and promotion, and managing and protecting America's public and private lands working cooperatively with other levels of government and the private sector.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join