It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA documents on Have Glib and some Army Recon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
CIA declassified documents

Have Glib, as far as I can tell, is currently run at Site-4, just south of the Tonopah Test Range, but was originally run out of Groom Lake. The program consists of acquiring foreign radar. US planes fly over the foreign radar, presumably to see how well the foreign radar sees our aircraft, and also for avionics on the US aircraft to detect the foreign radar. The documents are quite jumbled. My interpretation is they were trying to see who would take the blame if a plane crashed at Groom while flying over the Have Glib site.

The Army Recon is quite old, with the memo dated December 15th, 1958. Groom Lake dates back to 1955, with the first U-2 flight, well when it got off the ground. Though not stated specifically, I believe the Army wanted the recon from the U-2.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
George HW Bush & Have Glib

The CIA has uploaded more Have Glib documents. The above link appears to indicate George HW Bush visited Groom Lake when he was DCI (Director Central Intelligence).

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

I assumed Slater Lake was for like... I dunno, fishing. Wonder if there's any old imagery showing those assets there. Prolly not.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogshark

I assumed Slater Lake was for like... I dunno, fishing. Wonder if there's any old imagery showing those assets there. Prolly not.

Well there are still things on berms out there, but maybe not for the Have Glib mission.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dogshark

Slater Lake was created at one of the water well sites. It was at one time surrounded by grass and trees, stocked with fish, and used for recreation during off-duty hours. The "lake" has seen some changes over the years as evidenced by aerial and satellite imagery. Use as a recreation facility may have decreased as more threat radar systems were installed nearby for testing.

The radar equipment may (or may not) have been part of the HAVE GLIB project. HAVE GLIB was primarily an aircraft evaluation program involving the MiG-17 and MiG-21. The fact that the original radar sites were located on Glib Road is the only circumstantial evidence connecting the HAVE GLIB nickname to the radar equipment.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Appreciate the info. I saw anecdotal evidence connecting Have Glib to Slater Lake here.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yes, the reference cited there was an article in the Roadrunners newsletter that was based, in part, on material from the Dreamlandresort website that included the HAVE GLIB connection that I speculated about on some of the forums and included in my own early writings. As time passed, many people (even actual Area 51 veterans) began quoting my guesses as gospel. Later, after I uncovered substantially more accurate information that HAVE GLIB was primarily an aircraft program, some folks insisted that I was wrong. They quoted my own earlier material back to me but attributed it to other sources who, unknown to them, had picked it up from the Internet. It's all very circular. The bottom line is that I was the first to suggest a connection between HAVE GLIB and foreign radar based on very flimsy circumstantial evidence. I was at least partially (and perhaps entirely) wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I was told by one of the Roadrunners that Site-4 at the TTR is now where Have Glib is based. Is that something your suggested and got taken as gospel?

If you observe what happens at Site-4, there are two possible scenarios:
1) US pilots fly US military planes to test their RWR (radar warning receiver) on foreign radar
2) The USAF evaluates foreign radar detection capability on US aircraft.

Both scenarios could be described as aircraft projects or radar projects.

While Have Glib shows up in CIA documents, we know it is a USAF project designation. Possibly something could be shaken loose with a FOIA.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I connected the HAVE GLIB nickname with the radar sites based on the fact that some of the sites at Groom were located on Glib Road. This was in some of my early writings and timelines that got added to the Roadrunners website. So, now members of the Roadrunners associate the HAVE GLIB name with the threat radar systems at Groom and Tonopah. A former Area 51 security guard has said in several interviews with various reporters that radar personnel from Groom sometimes worked with the S-4 sites at Tonopah. He never used the term HAVE GLIB or any other nickname that I know of.

Other sources confirmed HAVE GLIB as an aircraft program involving MiG-17 and MiG-21. The report to FOIA would be:

Olson, Wayne M., et al., "Limited HAVE GLIB Performance Evaluation," FTC-TR-73-28, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, California, circa late 1973 or early 1974.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Well I have Wayne's email address...

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Who are you?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: C0bzz

Who are you?

originally posted by: Shadowhawk

Yes, the reference cited there was an article in the Roadrunners newsletter that was based, in part, on material from the Dreamlandresort website that included the HAVE GLIB connection that I speculated about on some of the forums and included in my own early writings..

There's your clues.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I called him once. He said he didn't remember that particular report or have a copy of it. I searched for the report in a few obvious places and didn't even find it listed as a classified holding. An author of one of the books about the Red Eagles filed a FOIA without result.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Someone who is better connected than most of the people you'll meet.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh I figured it out. Cool.
edit on 5/10/17 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join