It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldman gets into Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Goldman gets into Facebook

www.smh.com.au

FACEBOOK has raised $US500 million from Goldman Sachs and a Russian investor in a deal that values the company at $US50 billion, according to sources. The deal makes the popular social networking site worth more than companies such as eBay, Yahoo! and Time Warner.
The Goldman-Facebook deal is a milestone for Mark Zuckerberg, the company's chief executive, who will gain a powerful ally in the investment bank.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Getting into bed with GS!
Good business or more fuel for the 'Zuckerberg/Facebook is NWO' crowd?

I have no particular opinion on this myself, but after watching 'Social Network' last night I happened on this article and thought it might interest some here at ATS.

Oh dear, still not managed 50 words ..... until now

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Personally I continue to be baffled by the mass appeal of the FB phenomenon. To me it is like the "Vanity Plate" of the internet. Sure I have a page but liken it to maintaining a rental property that I lease out at a loss. Wasted time but an obligation due to peer pressure and need to "fit in" with friends/family. (See my first signature line)

I mean how many stupid pet/baby/vacation pictures do I need to see to realize my life is boring compared to everyone else? And then I remember the dot com bubble....poof! FB success seems fueled by the fact that we are a fickle/lazy/vain society. (I'm sure there is a human instinct to need to connect/relate to others.) "It's our biggest seller / Our most popular model" etc.

Social media, I just don't get it. I suppose Marshall McLuhan was right, The medium IS the message.

Want to REALLY connect with another human being? Try a hand written letter.

My .02¢
edit on 4-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: fixes

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Goldman Sachs funding Facebook is like Sauron lending evil power to Saruman's forces. This can't be good for anyone except the Dark Side.

There is a great desire among the criminal elite to get rid of anonymity, pseudonyms, and the free exchange of ideas on the Internet, and replace it with moderated, signed, verified "140 character comments" or "pressings of a LIKE button" instead.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Jan. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s plan to offer clients up to $1.5 billion in Facebook Inc. equity may invite U.S. regulators to take a closer look at whether the owner of the world’s most popular social-networking site is circumventing disclosure rules, securities lawyers said.

Looks like this isn't going to be a straightforward investment.

Personally, if GS is involved, my mind races to cry CT, but maybe it's just common or garden financial machinations.

Anyone have a more interesting view?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Here's some more:

Is Goldman Sachs' Facebook deal worthy of SEC scrutiny? The New Yorker's John Cassidy yesterday reacted to the news of the deal paging SEC chief Mary Shapiro: "once again the boys and girls at Goldman Sachs appear to be making a mockery of you and your colleagues."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sound like alien race names from scifi
Khazars
Ashkenazis

I could be wrong. Hope that isnt antisemitic. Oh I forgot the main semitic language is Arabic. Whoah

en.wikipedia.org...
So being antisemitic means being anti-arab.
Thats just scandalous...who woulda thunk it

Referring to arabs as animals and dogs...you should be ashamed.
edit on 4-1-2011 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join