It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pole flip confirmed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gateway30

The magnetic position of the pole changes gradually and even if the Earth were to shift in position with it it would do so so gradually that you will not feel the effects. Right now the Earth is spinning at remarkable speed on its axis and you don't feel a thing do you? The Earth spins all the way around in 24 hours, compared to the rate at which the pole is shifting, quite naturally I might add, this is phenomenally fast.
edit on 4-1-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Then why is it strange to see the moon during the day?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

well when i last saw the moon it was not far above the horizon, pretty close to venus. so if the moon was just above the horizon at 5 am then the moon would be visible during the day for a few days. not uncommon at all.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Arlestron

strange to see it in the day , but not at night since the eclipce.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

yes everyone knows its happening gradually.. however he said rapidly.. and when he stated that the gentleman next to him did a double take like why did you just say that,

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

It is possible that the pole shift could speed up but again even if it happened within 24 hours, like the normal rotation of the Earth, I doubt anything catastrophic would happen as a result.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

so your saying that if we had a complete pole shift , there would be no affects?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Alltought this should be about the pole shift. Here is a live feed of the solar eclipse:
www.parssky.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
if the earth shifted there would be signs other than the moon not being in its place like, the constellations would not be in their places. venus would'nt pop up in the south east like it does every morning around 4-5 am. also GPS and other satellite communications would have problems im sure.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

The actual motion of the Earth wouldn't cause a problem. I think the biggest issue would be the rapid change in climate during and after the shift if it happened suddenly. No one is suggesting its going to happen fast and as long as it happens at least somewhat gradually we should be able to react to the gradual changes in climate without any real danger to civilization.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

but its not happening gradually according to Rodney Viereck
Chief,of the Space Weather Services Branch, NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center according to him it is happening RAPIDLY.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

How rapidly are we talking? Because unless its in a very very short time there's nothing to really worry about.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

i don't know , the man didn't give a time frame, but he did say rapidly , now if he would a said gradually that wouldnt of alerted me , and when he said rapidly the guy next to him did a doubletake like dude shut up

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
has any one been able to find any other creditable info on this guy?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Just a quick post to point out that they're talking about a magnetic pole shift, not a geographic pole shift. Magnetic poles are always on the move but the geographic poles which define the axis of the earth's rotation do not 'flip' and are unlikely to without some extremely violent outside input and if it were to happen, the geographic pole shift would be the least of our concerns.

The magnetic poles have no effect on where the moon appears in the sky, no matter where they shift to. Last time I checked, the magnetic north pole was located somewhere in western Canada which is something like 11 degrees away from geographic north if you're in north-eastern USA.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Hi..from my perspective, it wasnt a slip of the tongue. Examining his behavior, I can see that he's nervous yes, but speaking honestly, frankly, factually and makes no attempt to cover his words or shy away from repeating them. If I genuinely felt he was lying or obfuscating..Id say so...but I dont.

Its probably already been said, that the scientific reality is that the geomagnetic pole has always been moving, shifting and reversing its polarity.
When records began of the changes in polaric density and location it was moving at around 10kms a year and now that has increased to 40kms per year over thirty years. Scientifically speaking that is 'rapid' change, that is, comparative to the length of solar cycles or tectonic movement or partcile decay which can take a millenia.

So the word 'rapidly' from this scientific context, doesnt imply a "need for panic"...its just surprising...a micro cycle being scientifically observed for the first time.
We dont know if that microcycle is 'normal' as there are no records beyond our own in the modern era to determine what 'normal' is for our magnetosphere scientifically and all we do know for certain and can extrapolate from what we know, is that the speed and location of geomagnetic north has been changing constantly since the end last ice age.

Its not something that requires 'panic' any more than if I said to you "hey your planets rotating through the universe - backwards!!"

See here: www.nasa.gov...
The map on this page shows how far the pole has been shifting since the 1800's.

Pole movement itself has not dramatically 'sped up' as fiercely the videos poster would have you believe either nor does it imply 'imminent' anything.

We dont have enough data about the paleomagnetosphere to know if the increased in speeds are portents or just processes. As far as the DATA shows..as far as the geological and geomangentic emperical evidence can show at this time...this is a common event.

On this video, the scientist is responding to a specific question that asks what would occur in the event of a complete *magnetosphere collapse* - a question he couldnt reliably answer as we simply dont know except to point to Mars as an plausible example.

While absolute collapse may be an inevitable part of the entire magnetic cycle of our planet, complete collpase it is a completely different 'thing' to geomagnetic pole "shifting" and reversal pauses or "minor collapses".

The difference is like that between twirling in a loose skirt and having the back slide around to the front....and taking it off altogether.
If its just twirling, the skirt slips around, it might slip down a little, a thin bit might show..but it, the skirt remains in tact and only the fabric's density changes.
If its off..its gone..simple...and there doesnt seem to be a 'putting it back on' process visable at this time.

If the magnetic poles reverse, that doesnt automaticalyl equate with a collpse of the magnetic sheath...the mangetic polarity changes, but not the existance of the sheath itself.

A complete or absolute collapse of the magnetic field or sheath, is an an event which would leave our *entire* planet completely bare, exposed to cosmic interference for an indefinate period of time. The geological records we have dont show such a global event has ever occured here on earth.

In order for the magnetosphere to collapse entirely, the inner core of the planet itself would have to cease all rotation...completely. If that were to occur, in very short order cosmically speaking, our atmosphere here wouldnt exist at all, so it is not something 'survivable'.
There is no record here on this planet of that ever occuring though there is enough evidence within our solar system to suggest is has occured elsewhere and evidence to suggest the sheath can be punctured..

What the records do show reliably is periods of geomagnetic instability and change, with high energetic particle activity and localised increases in magnetism - changes - changes that are testable and present in the soil and ice in some locations.

The only factual and testable science available to determine what *might* happen in the event of a pole *reversal* is the geological and geomagnetic records of what we are assuming are past reversals, and what they show is circumstantial and the truth of those records is still based on scientists making the correct assumptions and interpretations of the records.

The closest event geologically speaking that might give clues to impacts of a temporary absence of our magnetic sheild is evidence that shows that an event around 120,000 years ago (most likely a close by supernova) that appears to have punched a hole right through the magnetosphere and allowed energetic particles to embed into the soils of the northern hemisphere. By studying changes to the land around those sites, to the wildlife, trees pollens etc..we can build a retoactive picture..but cant 'proove' anything for certain.

If it had been a global collapse of the sheild at that time even for a microsecond, the same particles would have been found in the southern hemisphere as well, in Antarctic ice cores, but they werent.
This shows that whatever occured, the hole opened quickly and was closed very quickly. It also suggests that the event most likely occured in the northern summer as there was no icefall to absorb the particles or slow the rate of their decay.

By studying the cycles of the magnetosphere we know a collapse of the sheild, partial or full, is a possibility, its by no means a certainty.
It depends greatly on the dynamic interactions between or planetary core and the shield itself.
It also could depend on our human technological and chemical impacts and interactions within our upper atmospheres as well as we simply dont know the long term effect of our 'noise' to the equalibrium of the sheaths own frequencies.

The lifecycle and interactions of the inner core with the upper atmosphere and magnetosphere and our impact on that is an area of study only now being researched in earnest.

So...that all said....total geomagnetic shift or 'pole reversal', can be viewed less hystericaly as being a natural part of our planets life cycle rather than a cataclysmic earth ending event.

To quote from the link

As regards a polar reversal or 'pole flip':

"Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows."

Result:
occured before will occur again - life continued on before during and after it.

As regards a complete collapse and its affect, a quote from 'hypography':

"Evidence indicates that in Mars' distant past, it may have had a strong enough magnetosphere to deflect the solar wind coming from the Sun. However, about 4 billion years ago Mars' planetary dynamo ceased, leaving only remnants of the planetary magnetic field to be frozen into magnetically susceptible minerals. Over time, most of this material was reprocessed through various geological events leaving only sections of the ancient southern highlands with remnant magnetic fields. Because of this, the solar wind interacts directly with the Martian ionosphere and thus the Martian atmosphere has been slowly stripped off into space, although the exact amount lost remains uncertain. Both Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Express have detected ionised atmospheric particles trailing off into space behind Mars"

result:

Occured - All life on Mars..died.

So...its up to you if you want to panic or cause panic in others about this subject...but I wouldnt be wasting my time fearing. Its really really really important though to know the subject matter before projecting fears about it. People have enogh to cope with. I dont think the videos poster has any real clue.

Rosha.

edit on 4-1-2011 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by elocin

im in the uk and now that its been mentioned i havent seen the moon....but isnt it a new moon this evening? so might see it tonight...if not then ill definately start getting concerned.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Why would you start getting concerned?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gateway30
Did you notice the man in the middle do a double-take at 1:32 or 1:33 He was not happy with what the man on the left was telling us about changes to the south pole. Wow. taken from comments section, i to noticed this did anyone else?

yeah I saw that...really blatant!

e2a: yeah the moon is still there...I have seen it a bunch of times. The day after the eclipse it huge, really low in the sky and blood red. Beautiful. I havnt seen it in the last couple of days, it's been cloudy but The tide still comes in and out here in the uk
edit on 4-1-2011 by doubledutch because: add stuff about the moon

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gateway30
reply to post by elocin

come to think about it , i haven't seen a moon since the eclipse either

Of course we can't see the moon. We blew it up!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join