It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US offers Australia flood aid, condolences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

US offers Australia flood aid, condolences

www.news.com.au

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has expressed condolences for the loss of life in floods in Australia and says Washington is prepared to provide assistance to its close ally.

Up to 200,000 people are estimated to have been hit by the fast-flowing waters that have inundated 22 rural towns in the country's northeast, across an area the size NSW.

"On behalf of President (Barack) Obama and the people of the United States, I offer my condolences for the loss of life and damage in Queensland caused by the recent flooding," Clinton said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

"Our embassy in Canberra is monitoring the situation and has been in contact with Australian authorities. Australia is an important partner and close friend of the United States and we stand ready to provide assistance," she said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by these floods, especially the families of the victims, and with all the people of Australia."

Did not expect this due to the GFC hitting the US pretty bad however good to see some help coming Australia way for the massive flood damage thats occurred.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-1-2011 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
So what "assistance" is the US offering..??
I just see words..

BTW, luckily there were very few deaths caused by the flood..
I've only heard of one..

Edit: We don't need US troops on Aussie soil BTW, as with Haiti..
edit on 4-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The U.S. jumps to help anyone with a disaster... unless it's in the U.S... If the disaster affects American people the elite in the U.S. pretty much have a 'Go F@%K Yourself ' attitude.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
I just see words..

I've only heard of one..

Are you mad? IT HAS JUST BEGUN ! they say more floods will come...

Sure, YOU dont need anything, bugger the poor sods who are now trapped unable to go anywhere.

Blimey...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by backinblack
I just see words..

I've only heard of one..

Are you mad? IT HAS JUST BEGUN ! they say more floods will come...

Sure, YOU dont need anything, bugger the poor sods who are now trapped unable to go anywhere.

Blimey...

No, I don't think I'm mad..
I'm simply asking what has the US offered apart from kind words..
The thread title says "assistance"..
I see NO offer of that from Clinton or Obama..

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

So what "assistance" is the US offering..?? I just see words..

So at least they are offering,

BTW, luckily there were very few deaths caused by the flood.. I've only heard of one..

Gee man posting crap is not called for, there are 10 lives lost in one of the worst floods we have had in decades even more, ok some could of been prevented but still this flood is really bad understand this please, whole towns, thousands of Australians have been displaced and you are crapping on like a kid in a lollie shop that cant buy one

you on drugs backinblack may pay for you to research a little. the US/ army / naval/ airforce are here already in massive proportions and if they are needed I am glad they can help out

I reckon you are from Melbourne

Wal

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

I reckon you are from Melbourne

Yeah, where we recently went through massive fires with over 150 dead..
I knew some of them..

But still..WTF is the US offering??
I see no details..

Maybe you being from the west can read between the lines and inform this poor Vic...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Why is there a special thread for this?

Messages and words of assistance are coming in from world leaders
IT's what THEY DO! fcs HELLO!

Part of diplomacy - especially if the country is an ally and/or trade partnership, and/or close neighbour

USG said it is "prepared to provide assistance"

(Dear Mrs Clinton - words of assistance/charity begins at home! Your citizens need you more than 200,000 Queenslanders)

small wordly token - thank you - "no strings attached, Im sure"

Meanwhile...

New Zealand is to send an emergency response team to Australia to help the flood-devastated state of Queensland cope with its crisis, Foreign Minister Murray McCully announced on Tuesday

'The scale of the flooding in Queensland is unprecedented. The extent of the damage will only become clear once the floodwaters subside,' Mr McCully said as a team of 10-15 civil defence personnel prepared to depart for Brisbane.

The deployment follows talks between New Zealand Prime Minister John Key and Australian leader Julia Gillard in which it was agreed a team from New Zealand would make 'a valuable contribution' to the recovery effort, Mr McCully said.

'The New Zealand government is pleased to be able to assist during this difficult time and we will be standing by if any further help is required

The New Zealand Teamis expected to arrive in Australia within the next two days. [...]

NB: Civil Defence workers were instrumental in dealing with the aftermath of last year's Christchurch earthquake
TY NZ

Messages have been pouring in from citizens all around the world!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Update - Death toll now at ten 10
www.news.com.au...

More rain expected
www.news.com.au...

Looks grim hope it doesnt get any worse

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
There is billions and billions to be made from the clean up and rescue of this disaster, of course USA is going to want a slice of the pie,YES JUST LIKE HAITI.
Go away USA GOV and your private contractors your help is not wanted,

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Of course they would come to Australia's aid; it's what allies do. Political relations.

Why are people getting so up-in-arms over this? I realise that this is a conspiracy website and people harbour a general dislike towards TPTB, but this is a little ridiculous.
When someone offers you a helping hand you don't go and sh*t on it. What the hell?
There may well be ulterior motives to their actions but, why would you want to be even more of a negative nelly over an already unfortunate situation?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

The US isn't offering to send troops. Instead of jumping to half arsed conclusions that make you look silly, why don't you just stop at asking "what assistance".

And I actually agree, at the moment Australia is not in great need of any form of assistance. We can handle the crisis on our own. For now.

200,000 people affected. I don't think we've had such a natural disaster in recent memory, probably ever? Probably cylone Tracy which leveled the whole of Darwin, but I don't think Darwin had that many people back in the 1970's.
And it's tipped to get worse, with more storms forecast for the affected areas.

But anyway, the whole point of Clinton making such statements is to show solidarity and support. To show that America stands by it's allies in tough times, even if no assistance is given.
You have to remember, that the Australian federal government has to ask it's allies for assistance first, before they send it.
And if a call for assistance is made, our government will ask the allies for specific things. For example if the situation worsens we may not have enough air lift capability, ie helicopters, to get people out of areas cut off by the water, so the US could send an amphibious ship loaded with helicopters to assist in evacuations.

It's what allies do for each other. Provide help when asked for help(if they can).
A recent example is the fires in Israel. The first call was to Greece. A couple hours later half a dozen fire fighting planes were on the way along with several crews for each aircraft and support crews.

If and when the Australian government asks for assistance, it will most likely be logistical assistance that is requested. We have plenty of food, medicine, and money stockpiled. But the situation will have to get much worse before a call for assistance goes out. And it will be New Zealand who sends help first btw.

edit on 4-1-2011 by BLV12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Maybe you being from the west can read between the lines and inform this poor Vic...

Easy mate your for fathers died for this country, we had some help. without that help you would be speaking Japanese and that is a fact ( i suggest you watch Australians at war produced by the ABC easy to find in all ABC shops) then besides your conspiracy crap which is what is. understand now your country needs you

For fuk sake mate get a grip.stop your BS, or do you need a bobcat to dig a bigger hole

Wal ,still love ya backinblack because we are one, but we are many

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
If you accept it now, you may be able to pay back the "help" the US gives you by 2055. Tell the yanks where they can shove it.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Messages have been pouring in from citizens all around the world!

And how good is that, some that don't wish to read or try and read, just see doom and gloom, thank you for your post its appreciated

Wal

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The last thing we need is an American with a loaded gun in his hands on our shores telling us what to do...

Thanks but no thanks. We'll cope without them.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

lol, no worries mate..
But it's hard not to be paranoid where the US is concerned..
Once they "HELP" a country they pretty much never leave..
We also know as fact that they already want more troops in Australia.
That has already been requested by the US..

Also, If I see a Bush/Clinton appeal for the flood victims like in Haiti, I'll go nuts.
Most of that money is still in their accounts...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

But it's hard not to be paranoid where the US is concerned..

Well if that is what you think mate, I suggest you stop reading crap
and that is what it is, if you honestly think that the US is going to do something because they are helping us out during the worst floods that we have seen in decades, I suggest you take a break mate, you will loose the plot and I reckon you are half way there

Mate live life to the full, help your / family/ mates / country man, and most of all love your self, because you cant love anyone else until you do, Its not ALL doom and gloom brother, life is great in the Land Down Under, you are very very lucky ,appreciated it
Some don't really understand what they have in Australia , that is so sad considering what we were built on.

I call it selfish

Wal

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Well if that is what you think mate, I suggest you stop reading crap and that is what it is, if you honestly think that the US is going to do something because they are helping us out during the worst floods that we have seen in decades, I suggest you take a break mate, you will loose the plot and I reckon you are half way there

Mate live life to the full, help your / family/ mates / country man, and most of all love your self, because you cant love anyone else until you do, Its not ALL doom and gloom brother, life is great in the Land Down Under, you are very very lucky ,appreciated it Some don't really understand what they have in Australia , that is so sad considering what we were built on.

I call it selfish

Wal

Mate, we already have US bases here aplenty..
Look at Pine Gap..
It's in OUR country and the US will NOT even tell us what's there.!!!

I couldn't imagine the US letting ANY country build a base on US soil and NOT fully disclose what it's doing..
I'm pretty darn sure the US would demand access for inspection...

Tell me I'm wrong wally..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join