It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Conversation with God

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Calender

Note: I did read your entire post.

It’s almost impossible for a person to create and publish a written conversation which claims to be able to accurately answer various questions as if God had actually taken part in the conversation. You publish this as though God had directly answered all questions... Or you publish this by making various assumptions of what God may have responded with simply by using evidence from the Bible.

Whilst I admire your passion to deliver such a thoughtful and well written piece, I feel there is a critical rule which should never be broken when dealing with religion, which is not to change the written word in the Bible and not to publish written words claimed to originate directly from God.

My argument simply, that re-wording the word of God in the case of a simulated conversation, does more to shift the source from God to a man-made source which is not perfect and can be interwoven with inaccuracy and embedded differences of belief/opinion.

This is only my opinion.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Calender

Originally posted by Calender (1st Reply)
Joecraft, The transliteration of God's name as Jehovah has been used for centuries. The Bible states:

Originally posted by Calender (2nd Reply)
Joecraft,

Thanks for your reply…
but before we go any further, it’s Croft, not Craft

Remember that the quote that Jesus was making was from the Hebrew scriptures at Deuteronomy 6:4. Now we know that the divine name Jehovah was used in the original. Did Jesus follow the tradition of the Jews and hide Jehovah's name when quoting from the Hebrew scriptures? That cannot be the case for on the night he was to die he told Jehovah in prayer:
(John 17:6) . . .“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. . . .

So why didn’t the New Testament writers make the word “Lord” in Mark 12:29 as all capitals (LORD) to refer directly to God/Father?

NIV John 17:11

I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.

There are some discrepancies as to how the above verse should be translated.

Keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me - Instead of οὑς δεδωκας μοι, Those whom thou hast given me, ABCEHLMS, Mt. BHV, and nearly one hundred others, read ᾡ, which refers to the τῳ ονοματι σου, thy name, immediately preceding. The whole passage should be read thus: Holy Father, keep them through thy own name Which thou hast given me, that they may be one, etc. By the name, here, it is evident that the doctrine or knowledge of the true God is intended; as if our Lord had said, Keep them in that doctrine Which thou hast given me, that they may be one, etc. This reading is supported by the most ample evidence and indisputable authority. Griesbach has admitted it into the text, and Professor White in his CRISEΩS says of it, Lectio indubie genuina, "It is, without doubt, the genuine reading."

Source

What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, Jesus publicly witnessed about Jehovah's name, and made his name known. In fact the very first part of the Lord's prayer shows us the importance that Jesus has put on his Father's name:

(Matthew 6:9) “YOU must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.

So why do you think God’s name was taken out of the Bible, do you see this as primarily a Trinitarian issue?

- JC

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think these speak to alot presented here

God has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.-Phil2

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come-Eph1

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power-Heb1

Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.-2

For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.-Col1

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.-1Tim3

the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father.-John5

For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.

Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands-Heb2

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.-John3

So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life-6
edit on 8-1-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join