It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Describe your country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am an American who has never been to even half of my country let alone other countries. While I do have a lot of knowledge from researching other countries on the internet that can only get you so far, the rest and arguably the most important, can only be described by the natives. So this thread is an opportunity for you to describe your country, culture, food, etc…

I am particularly interested in countries that do not share a very close cultural identity with the United States. Countries such as Canada, UK, and Australia are very commonly known to Americans and while I still ask that you post about your country even if it is one of the three mentioned above I am strongly encouraging people from other more ‘exotic’ nations to post.

I would love to hear from members who have lived in or currently live in any country in Asia, Africa, South America, Oceania, Eastern Europe, and especially the Middle East and Central Asia.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Flagged and starred.

I am an American too.

Thanks to the US Navy, I have visited many countries. Japan and the Netherlands are definite favorites for me, along with Scotland, and the rest of the UK.

Dumbass I am, I tried to learn Dutch prior to my last visit in 2001; the dutch in Amsterdam spoke better english than I did.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I have been travailing around Australia on a motorbike for about a year or so. Have lots of pictures and the story at www.kwakakev.com...

The cities and east coast can get pretty busy, Sydney is the maddest. Lots of long empty roads once you get out a bit with pretty diverse scenery all over. Climate changes a fair bit, Northern end has wet and dry season, Southern end is more the summer, autumn, winter, spring. Can be really good if you pick your location and time of year right, could be pretty uncomfortable if you get it wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

You have to come down to the southwest WA. Whereabouts are you at the moment?

You web page is awesome!

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
How do you describe what a country is like? It seems a pretty impossible task

England for example ranges from areas of extreme urban deprivation where you are scared to leave your house at night to areas that look like they have been lifted straight from a Lord of the Rings movie and where the most dangerous thing that might happen to you is being sniffed by a Badger while you are out picking Apples.

People DO NOT wear bowler hats or carry around umbrellas, there is NO FOG, people NEVER say pip pip and London does not only consist of BIG BEN.

It rains a lot, people swear a lot, peoples sense of humour is extremely cutting and sarcastic bordering on the nasty at times.

The one big difference between the US and UK is how fast things move, cultural / fashion trends move like lightning in the UK and change on a more or less daily basis, there is none of this "still listening to Ozzy Osborn and AC/DC 30 years later" stuff that happens in America

Edit to add
On the food issue, England really doesn't deserve its reputation for bad food, it is a stereotype that was born from troops that were stationed here during WWII (as a lot of the US views of Britain seem to be) when we barely had any food at all and mainly had to make things from cardboard.
There are tons of amazing restaurants in London
edit on 4-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Hi ,Spent a bit of time in the Phillipines,here are some words that describe it for me .Beautiful,disgusting,despair,hope,laughter,food,animals,traffic,heat,rain,floods,rubbish,pollution,volcanoes,hard work,busy,and a short story i wrote here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
my country has the first largest populaton in the world .now you may know that i am from china which has 5000 years of history and culture .people here are very friendly and hospitable .recent years it develops at a high speed many people come here for a visit every years you can come here any time you want because there are many things you can appreciate at any season
welcome to china

new topics

top topics

join