It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 reviews....."True Grit" "The Black Swan"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"True Grit" almost shot in my back yard; I auditioned but didn't get cast even as background.
But anyway a great western in the true tradition of great westerns. "The Duke" would have been proud! Not a typical Cohen bros film but
Great performances by everyone, sets, locations, script, action, all first rate. Not to be missed

"The Black Swan" A very dark movie with an outstanding performance by Natalie Portman. Another film not to be missed if you like your movies with a story and not just CGI, blood and guts and car chases. The cinematography was fantastic as was the script and great music that meshed with the surrealism in a fantastic way.

edit on 3-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

i would watched black swan but i dislike natalie portman these days, seems like she is trying too hard to reinvent her image.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Just caught True Grit a few hours ago. Gotta say, unbelievable performances all around. For all of the fuss about Jeff Bridges filling the shoes of John Wayne... Well put those worries to bed. Jeff doesn't try to channel the Duke. He reinvents the roll in a way that is totally his own but stays true to the spirit of the Rooster Cogburn character, or at least that is how I saw it.

And Matt Damon is quirky and great in a role that certainly defies some of the typecasting one might think he's fallen prey to.

My only complaint with True Grit was the ending. Man those Cohen brothers just don't seem skilled at nailing those last five minutes.

But, still, very much worth the watch!

~Heff

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

My only complaint with True Grit was the ending. Man those Cohen brothers just don't seem skilled at nailing those last five minutes.

I have to disagree with you here heff. The last five minutes of this movie was the one of the best endings I have seen in any movie.

To me, a movie is only as good as the ending and this one actually touched me and made me think long after it was over. I was touched in a way that I haven't been in a long long time.

To each his own I guess but this movie is a great one, especially the ending..

"time just gets away from us".....dammit, doesn't that make you think????

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
"True Grit" almost shot in my back yard; I auditioned but didn't get cast even as background.
But anyway a great western in the true tradition of great westerns. "The Duke" would have been proud!

Does Jeff take the reins between his teeth and ride off both barrels blazing? One of my all time favourite movie scenes that, makes me whoop, whoop just thinking about it...it's like the reverse of Hilts at the Swiss Border, doesn't matter how many times you watch it, you're still there believing he can make it...with True Grit, everytime it gets to that bit I think there is no way he's going to make it...movie magic.

I like Jeff Bridges and the Coen brothers alot, and they seldom disappoint, so I will probably watch this (although I really ought to get out more, this is the first I'd heard of it :duh

top topics

join