A Battery That Produces Energy Continuously Since 1950 Exists in Romanian Museum

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
For all those who wonder just how long it has been since free energy has been available...

The "Dimitrie Leonida" National Technical Museum from Romania hosts a weird kind of battery. Built by Vasile Karpen, the pile has been working uninterrupted for 60 years. "I admit it's also hard for me to advance the idea of an overunity generator without sounding ridiculous, even if the object exists," says Nicolae Diaconescu, engineer and director of the museum.

A Very interesting read.
uk.ibtimes.com...
edit on 3-1-2011 by Mythkiller because: Spelling
edit on 3 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: added External Source Tags – Please Review This Link

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Hmmm, well 2 things against it at this point - 1, they claim no one knows how it works, and 2, it - in it's current dimensions - only produces 1volt.

And if that image is accurate, it's larger than two thermal flasks, so even if they work out how it works, if, as they somehow claim, it can be upscaled to produce more energy, means it would be a rather large device to produce a viable amount of energy.

?

Interesting thread tho.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm skeptical.

The only internet search results for this device are from December of 2010.

The article is the same on every website.

The "source" of this article is from a site called "greenoptimistic.com", which conveniently at the end of the article links you to....

. Build your free energy device, with off-the-shelf components you can purchase cheaply. Basically, what it does is extracting energy out of radio waves. More information is available here.

A crappy website I've seen before, (with a referral ID from greenoptimistic that earns them money), that attempts to sell you the "secrets of Nikola Tesla" and "free energy". The site is here for any interested parties, or just go to the source article of this story and scroll to the bottom to find the link.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Call me a skeptic, but this part doesn't make any sense:

The invention cannot be exposed because the museum doesn't have enough money to buy the security system necessary for such an exhibit.

Huh? Are they sure they can't find any donations to display a perpetual motion device? A device that would revolutionize the energy industry should surely find some interested parties, right?....Did they try?

But wait, if they can't display it with proper security, then how are they able to do this:

Karpen's battery had been exhibited in several scientific conferences in Paris, Bucharest and Bologna, Italy, where its construction had been explained widely. Researchers from the University of Brasov and the Polytechnic University of Bucharest in Romania have even performed special studies on the battery, but didn't pull a clear conclusion.

Who exactly were these "Researchers", the custodial staff? So they didn't pull a "clear conclusion", does that mean they pulled a "fuzzy" conclusion? Let's have it, whatever conclusion it was!

What's the problem with figuring this simple thing out?

The scientists can't explain how the contraption, patented in 1922, works. The fact that still puzzles them is how a man of such a scientific stature such as Karpen's could have started building something "that crazy."

Wait...why are the puzzling over the man? Who cares? Scientists don't puzzle over men, they puzzle over science (unless they were psychologists, but then, why would psychologists be trying to figure out a perpetual motion machine?). Maybe that's why they can't figure out how it works.

If it doesn't pass the smell test, then it's 100% B.S.
edit on 3-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It looks simple enough to build so I'll give it a try. Anyone else know if there are blatant errors in the schematics?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythkiller

Built by Vasile Karpen, the pile has been working uninterrupted for 60 years.

The corporations that produce batteries are gonna be pissed if they can keep a lid on this.

Half a century ago, the pile's inventor had said it will work forever,

The scientists can't explain how the contraption, patented in 1922, works

uk.ibtimes.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I trust none of those sale sites that are just clones of one another.
Then the "special" offer for those who close the site but are presented with a discount if they stay.

Screams BS to me... But that doesn't mean they don't use legit products to sell their BS.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
"the uniform-temperature thermoelectric pile" as stated in the article tells us this is a thermoelectric effect or essentially an application of gold-platinum thermocouples. The Seebeck coefficients are 6.5 for gold and 0 for platinum (uV/C degree) so the pile has a huge number of individual thermocouples to achieve 1 volt total output with a miniscule temperature difference (around 154000 of them in series at 1 degree difference). Introduce the temperature coefficient of resistance (even for those good conductors) and the internal resistance of the pile is going to severely limit the amount of current it could produce.

Those 2 metals are inert in sulphuric acid so, yes, the assembly should last indefinitely if contaminants are kept out of it. It's interesting but more from an angle of a curiosity rather than something capable of practical application.

edit on 3/1/2011 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Good point, though I'm not sure how you define "indefinite" it wouldn't be forever if it's doing work. But the work it's doing is very small, from the OP article:

The prototype has been assembled in 1950 and consists of two series-connected electric piles moving a small galvanometric motor. The motor moves a blade that is connected to a switch. With every half rotation, the blade opens the circuit and closes it at the the start of the second half. The blade's rotation time had been calculated so that the piles have time to recharge and that they can rebuild their polarity during the time that the circuit is open.

Given the large size of the battery, I see no reason why it can't perform such a small amount of work for decades. It sounds like the circuit is open a large part of the time when there's virtually NO work being done, so that type of no work operation CAN be maintained indefinitely, but since the circuit closes at times, and it does a small amount of work, the capacity of the system to do work has been reduced by that small amount. I know of no reason why a specially designed battery can't last decades or centuries, if the work the battery is doing is so small that it doesn't use up the battery's capacity. That would seem to be the case with this battery and the very small load on it.

Probably what makes this battery longer lasting than most is the non-corrosive nature of the materials used. If you buy a deep cycle 12V battery, rated at say 105 Amp Hours, and hook up a load that uses an average of 0.000001 Amps (one microamp, think of the drain on a watch battery), it will have enough energy to last for 105 million hours which is about 12,000 years. The only reason it won't run that long is because the materials used are not as stable as what's in the museum's battery. But a 12000 year battery like this isn't a perpetual motion machine, it's just a battery with a very small load attached to it.

Also, can you imagine how expensive a battery made of gold and platinum is? It' might be cost-effective for seep-space missions or something, but it's never going to be mainstream using those types of costly materials.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It does do work but I believe the energy is actually from variations in ambient temperature creating temperature gradients in the acid seeing this is an admitted thermopile. Somewhat like an Atmos clock extracting energy from tiny air pressure variations to do mechanical work. The acid implies there is some ionic coupling at work in the pile also.

But yes, it's hardly 'free' energy considering the cost & weight of the materials and quantities involved. There are vastly more practical applications of thermocouples for niche electrical energy production and they're in use right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
One of the many 'free energy' sites that sell products for you to buy. The only difference is that this site is extremely annoying with many popup windows.

Sorry folks, yet another fraud.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Website for the museum (no mention of Karpen's pile)
www.ntm.cz...

contact numbers, if anyone speaks the language or better yet, if we have an agent in the area maybe they could swing by and ask them in person if the battery actually exists.
www.ntm.cz...

wikipedia entry
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum