It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber bullying, first step for control of internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I never knew about these laws that have passed that only apply to children. Here is a source I found that has all the different state laws regarding cyberstalking, cyberharassment and cyberbullying.

www.ncsl.org...

Just going to the first state and here is the law-

www.ncsl.org...

Here is the statute-

Section 16-28B-3
Definitions.

The following terms have the following meanings:

(1) DEPARTMENT. The State Department of Education.

(2) HARASSMENT. A continuous pattern of intentional behavior that takes place on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function including, but not limited to, written, electronic, verbal, or physical acts that are reasonably perceived as being motivated by any characteristic of a student, or by the association of a student with an individual who has a particular characteristic, if the characteristic falls into one of the categories of personal characteristics contained in the model policy adopted by the department or by a local board. To constitute harassment, a pattern of behavior may do any of the following:

a. Place a student in reasonable fear of harm to his or her person or damage to his or her property.

b. Have the effect of substantially interfering with the educational performance, opportunities, or benefits of a student.

c. Have the effect of substantially disrupting or interfering with the orderly operation of the school.

d. Have the effect of creating a hostile environment in the school, on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function.

e. Have the effect of being sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive enough to create an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for a student.

(3) HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT. The perception by an affected student or victim that the conduct of another student constitutes a threat of violence or harassment and that the conduct is objectively severe or pervasive enough that a reasonable person, under the circumstances, would agree that the conduct constitutes harassment, threat of assault, or assault.

(4) LOCAL BOARD. A city or county board of education.

(5) SCHOOL. Each public school, grades prekindergarten through 12, the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, the Alabama High School of Mathematics and Science, and the Alabama School of Fine Arts.

(6) SCHOOL SYSTEM. The schools under the jurisdiction of a local board.

Let me ask you folks, let us remove all references to children and school, what do you have? Do you have the laws already in place to begin the control of the internet conversation?

Take a look at this component-

Have the effect of substantially disrupting or interfering with the orderly operation of the school.

So, you take out the school and the child component, what do you have? You have freedom of speech restrictions.

Most of us have heard that everyone is to be "Equal under the law".

So when do you think the first charge will be made of someone denigrating another person's position politically speaking? I see they have the framework, now all they have to do is set precedent.

Oh the unintended consequences rear their heads again.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Forgot to add, if any of you are trolls to me anymore, I will attempt to set precedent!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Let me ask you folks, let us remove all references to children and school, what do you have? Do you have the laws already in place to begin the control of the internet conversation?

Why limit it to the internet? Don't the restrictions apply to all "conversation?" What you have is the state stepping in to perform where:
1) parents will not or cannot
2) the public will not or cannot
3) people complain without taking responsibility for themselves.

In short, if you invite the nanny-state in, it is more than happy to accommodate. Personal and =parental responsibility would make this irrelevant, duplicative and supefluous over-reaching. Instead it is "welcome reform."

Be careful what you ask for, ... .

Take a look at this component-
Have the effect of substantially disrupting or interfering with the orderly operation of the school.

So, what's wrong with an orderly school? We have stripped teachers and administrators (first-hand authority) of their freedom and discretion to maintain order and now we complain because second-hand and far-removed administrators take the reins of discipline. We have no one to blame but ourselves for giving up this fundamental right.

So, you take out the school and the child component, what do you have? You have freedom of speech restrictions.

Except for the fact that juveniles do not enjoy the same "rights" and "freedoms" as adults. They are subject to their parents' discipline and to that of those standing 'in loco parentis.' Would you prefer a school system without first-hand control in the classroom? Outside the classroom, why are parents not responsible?

Most of us have heard that everyone is to be "Equal under the law".

And, most misunderstand that that means that we are also equally responsible for respect of individual rights and the rights of society as a whole. Sometimes, this means that we have to discipline our own kids or hold our tongues. Equality does not equate to anarchy - "every man for himself."

So when do you think the first charge will be made of someone denigrating another person's position politically speaking? I see they have the framework, now all they have to do is set precedent.

What? It is already happening! Did you miss out on "PC" codes and regs? Do you really think that people who think their relative political position hasn't been given "equal under the law" consideration have remained quiet? Been "bullied" into submission?

I completely understand your position and your aversion to the creeping intrusions into our personal lives and choices. But, until people, individually and collectively, are willing to accept responsibility for their lives and their communities, you will see their discretion increasingly handed to third parties and "authorities" to enforce.

Oh the unintended consequences rear their heads again.

I'm not so sure these are "unintended." I think there's an agenda for those in power to seize as much more as we are willing to cede to them, instead of keeping it to ourselves. Remember, you don't know what you had 'til it's gone. Then, it's too late.

Unintended? I think most people happily gave it up in the name of their own "freedom."

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Thanks for the comment jdub. Yes, individual rights are nothing without individual responsibility.

I never knew the extent with which they had instituted this. It seems like the PC # which this is, is just another step down control avenue.

What I meant by including that one component, was if you remove the student and apply it to society, anything the government finds disruptive can be prosecuted.

The whole thing here is the ever increasing statutes and laws. So if I start to harangue someone on the site here about their political positions and they feel harrassed they could possibly use these statutes as a basis for arrest. Yes it is supposed to only apply to children in school, but when has legislation that has started control been pulled back or not allowed to evolve?

Great breakdown by the way.

new topics

top topics

join