It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University rejects student and his unilingual guide dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Quebec is going to have a field day with this one!

FREDERICTON -- The University of New Brunswick could be facing a human rights complaint after it told a blind student from Quebec that his guide dog would have to learn English.

Yvon Tessier was kicked out of UNB's English Immersion program because he only gives commands to his guide dog in French.

He was asked to sign a declaration that he would only speak to his dog in English.

source

what do you guys think about all this?

Could this be an English backlash to Quebec's stringent language laws?

should the student be allowed to keep his french only speaking dog?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well it certainly sounds like the kind of profound and earth moving issue that could only come from north of the border. Seriously, whoever issued that ultimatum is no less than an absolute moron! I certainly hope that isn't saying something about the state of higher education in Canada.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
retraining the dog would be very difficult. He would most likely have to get a completely new guide dog, and they aren't cheap.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense
retraining the dog would be very difficult. He would most likely have to get a completely new guide dog, and they aren't cheap.

A dog you have till it dies.
Anyone who loves his dog can't just get another dog because some cook tells him to. Especialy with guide dogs, the bond between the dog and the master gets extremely tight. The dog replaces the owners losts sences and abilities you know. The dog becomes one with its owner.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I seen the schools interview on the news tonight and they had said Tessier had called the school to inquire about a course and they told him they could accommodate him with advanced notice that was the last they had heard from him. Until recently he called and wanted to attend, the school claimed they needed 3 months notice to set up assistance for him, and could no do it on such short notice, and that they will welcome him and his dog next semester,
I believe. I wasn�t really paying to much attention

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
KayEm's dog, Scooby, only speaks English. At least, thats the language he used when he was answering my questions.

Pisky: What's the wood covering a tree called ?
Scooby: Bark

Pisky: Name a nocturnal bird
Scooby: 'owl

Pisky: How do you feel after a night on the drink ?
Scooby: Ruff

top topics

join