It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldman Sachs invests $450M in Facebook! breaking news

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Goldman Sachs invests $450M in Facebook! breaking news

breaking news ticker bar! info still to come
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
just breaking news more to come!! wow a lot of money there maybe a recent facebook visit to china and latest Chinese stats about online users. tonns of money to invest there!!

just all of a sudden there is a large investment in facebook, maybe there is some inside information being passed around, if i had money to spare i'd invest in facebook today too!!

cbc news

edit on 3-1-2011 by Chefspicy because: link missing

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
www.crainsnewyork.com...
edit on 3-1-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
hahaha, and this facebook is worth 50 BILLION $$$$$

FACEBOOK= 50MILLION$$

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
dealbook.nytimes.com...

Why would Goldman Sachs invest in facebook? Perhaps they are making a bet on whether or not the facebook bubble will burst.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ha Ha... you couldn't make this up.

Goldman Sachs screws the public and takes support to survive the financial crisis. Then plays with the Fed with Cheap money to make more money and then buys into the biggest personnal database the world has ever seen !!

I'm not on facebook and never will be !!!!

Facebook = database = information = money = Goldman Sachs

PDUK

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
And what this deal means

what does goldmans investment mean?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
wow i didnt realize how much money is being tossed around and the amount that can be made!! thru facebook, amazing, and if they tap into the Chinese people, it could almost double the amount of facebook users!! would that mean double profits?????

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chefspicy

just breaking news more to come!! wow a lot of money there maybe a recent facebook visit to china and latest Chinese stats about online users. tonns of money to invest there!!

just all of a sudden there is a large investment in facebook, maybe there is some inside information being passed around, if i had money to spare i'd invest in facebook today too!!

cbc news

edit on 3-1-2011 by Chefspicy because: link missing

That is kind of the point of the article, you can't invest in Facebook. Facebook has teased an IPO but many don't see it happening anytime soon because they dont need it.

If you want to invest in that realm then look at BIDU, its China's Google and has an awesome stock price right now. It should go back to the 107-110 level in a short amount of time, great long term stock. ( FYI, I'm not a broker nor do I play one on TV)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Still need a good chunk of green to invest anything worthwhile in BIDU. If I was already wealthy, I would make that investment because I agree that it will continue to go skyward.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Same reason the CIA (through a front) and DOD (through DARPA as part of their Total Information Awareness program) put up the seed money for it. Beyond it's current sociocultural importance, at least one of the intents of Facebook has always been intelligence gathering. Wikileaks has shown to have ties to the intelligence communuity and is argued to be a false flag of its own. Hmmm...why wouldn't Government Sachs want to pony up for Facebook? There's some good control and information to be got.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
So there's profit to make and more profiling store. Should be more concerned about making money or securing our privacy. Such as dilemma.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Will never understand how companies that do no physical labour, produce no tangible goods are supposedly worth so much money when they do absolutely nothing to "earn" it ... On the bright side looks like for once C(aught) I(n the) A(ct) made a good investment as farcebook is now valued at 50 billion dollars...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is the kind of crap we as a people allow to happen....Youd think the very mention of CIA investment in facebook would have at least one lone nut out in fron of Langley with a prepare to meet thy doom sign....
Nobody even twitches when this stuff is revealed....its just assumed to be fait accomplait!
we are well and truely hacked....

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
dealbook.nytimes.com...

Why would Goldman Sachs invest in facebook? Perhaps they are making a bet on whether or not the facebook bubble will burst.

My question is, how are they hedging? Or are they?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This among other reasons is why I just killed my facebook page.

The withdrawls are not that bad.....I just jotted down my real friends numbers on there and now it's just once less tab to open when I start my comp.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Its no new news that the USG banned together with FB. I remember a report awhile back about how FB is working with the USG to hand over personal information to the USG. Something about " persons of interest". Considering that most FB users willingly hand over personal info to the site to begin with, comes as no surprise. As intrusive as the government has gotten, the investment by G&S only solidifies my theory. Especially considering that every " head honcho " has come from G&S.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I think you pretty much nailed it as for reasons. But, I'd like to toss in one more...

We've heard in the past how GS has been accused of market manipulation and shady tactics.

We've heard of how there are fake facebook users out to spread dis-info and opinions on behalf of the government.

We've heard how facebook itself is not above shenanigans with its own privacy issues and recently hiring a firm to spread bad press about Google.

Put all of that together and aside from the huge information database of personal information they have just bought access to - they have also bought access to a fabulous dis-info, propaganda and market manipulation tool.

Not that the upstanding folks at Goldman ever would do this - but just indulge me for a moment. Just suppose Goldman put an army of bots out there to tell the public to buy this investment, sell that investment, etc. etc.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm apparently one of the few ATS people that loves Facebook.

And there is nothing more ironic than when people who post regularly on a government conspiracy website exhibit concern or worry that the govt will collect useless Facebook data on them. Do you really think the govt isn't more interested in what you say on a government conspiracy site (and yes of course they can trace it back to you) than anything said on Facebook?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

than anything said on Facebook?

Bare in mind, you willingly hand over more personal information about yourself on facebook than what is allowed on this site. Two entirely different concepts.

Facebook:

* personal location info
* personal family pictures
* info on your likes/dislikes

The list can go on for ever. But on here, how many avatars have you seen with an actual location depicted? I think I've seen one?

ETA: Just look at this:

Facebook paid PR firm to smear Google
www.guardian.co.uk...

you still think Facebook is on the up and up?

edit on 13-5-2011 by Realms because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join