It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quadrantids Meteor shower peaks tonight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Just a quick heads up for those interested.

The Quadrantids Meteor shower will peak tonight, from midnight till dawn you could expect to see as many as 60 an hour, even more if the viewing conditions are right. Ill certainly be looking out for them.

A little bit more information can be found here.

We also have a partial solar eclipse early in the morning as the sun rises, those who dont mind waiting up have a potentially good night in store, weather permitting of course.
edit on 3/1/2011 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
After being enchanted by the huge, skipping, rich white streaks of the persieds as a child I'd highly reccomend anyone able to view or intrigued by this to have a look. Meteor spotting is a favourite of mine. Most spectacular one I've seen recently appeared to be spinning, lasted about 3+ seconds, lit clouds up and was a very orangey colour.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Not sure it will be that spectacular here in the UK, the weather lets us down so much. Definately worth looking out for though.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The International Meteor Organization has posted a "live graph of the ZHR" here.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's pretty cloudy here right now I am hoping it clears up before midnight though. Don't want to miss them for a second year.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Last year wasn't a good one for meteor showers, especially in the north east. Maybe this year will be a better one.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Well the british weather spoilt yet another meteor shower for me, i didnt get to see one. I struggled to see jupiter after 8 oclock-ish, pesky clouds.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
Well the british weather spoilt yet another meteor shower for me, i didnt get to see one. I struggled to see jupiter after 8 oclock-ish, pesky clouds.

This year the weather threw a spanner into most peoples observing plans here in the UK, including mine. The trick is to keep trying, and you will be rewarded eventually. It sounds like there were very few bright Quadrantids this year, so you didn't miss much anyway.

new topics

top topics

join