It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vesuvius's big daddy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Two thousand years ago Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii. Today, a larger, far more deadly supervolcano lurks on the other side of Naples. If it erupts, Campi Flegrei could wipe out all life in Europe. So why are British scientists battling the Italians for the right to poke at it with drilling rods?

Source

Now Europe has its own Supervolcano..and apparently a part has risen about 10ft since 1969. Anyone have more Data on this? Especially Earthquakes,Tremors etc.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Shenon because: no Idea why this Link Stuff doesnt work

edit on 3-1-2011 by Shenon because: A Space here and there works

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Vesuvius ' Big Daddy

Fixed your link for you
You've got to add a name in the first dialogue box or your link will show like yours does.

Thanks for posting, I'll go look up more about it. This volcano is one scary mofo!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yeah,added a Space,works now.

Gotta do a little research too.From that Article,that thing seems way more Dangerous of going off than Yellowstone currently.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

awesome just what i neeeded for breakfast, another way to die. thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well it happens I am from Napoli (but living in NL since 10 years ago) and everything the article says is basically true. The whole area is warm, in some buildings heaters are not necessary because the floor is..warm! And it's very common to see smoke coming out from the sewer holes on the streets, while the smell of rotten eggs is a bit everywhere. Not everybody in Naples and surroundings knows about the threat of Campi Flegrei and if anything happens it will be a total disaster. Unfortunately all volcanologist agree in saying that it's not a question of "if" but "when" and Napoletani people just don't care for they have to face daily problems (like rubbish or unemployment or criminality or corruption or..... - a very long list) which absorb all the energies.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The caldera, which now is essentially at ground level, is accessible on foot. It contains a large number of fumaroles, from which steam can be seen issuing, and over 150 pools of boiling mud at last count. Several subsidiary cones and tuff craters lie within the caldera. One of these craters is filled by Lake Avernus. In 1538, an eight-day eruption in the area deposited enough material to create a new hill, Monte Nuovo. It has risen about 2 metres (7 ft) from ground level since 1970. It is a volcano capable of producing VEI 7 eruptions, as large as that of Tambora in 1815.[7] At present, the Campi Flegrei area comprises the Naples districts of Agnano and Fuorigrotta, the area of Pozzuoli, Bacoli, Mount Procida, Quarto, the Phlegrean Islands (Ischia, Procida and Vivara).Recent inflation of the caldera centre in the vicinity of Pozzuoli may presage an eruptive event within decades

Source

Its just weird that not much is known about this thing compared to Yellowstone which is less dangerous.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Yellowstone less dangerous ?

What the Campi Flegrei can do to Europe, Yellowstone can do to North America. There is only one exception.
The Campi Flegrei I covered with a lot of water. Tsunamis would devastate everything in their path.

Thhe reason for this super volcano for not being know is easy.

This caldera has moved for the last time in the 15 century. Yellowstone is much more present and continuously causes tremors. Take a look at the Geysers and hot springs. They are a huge clue.

Anyway thanks for posting Cool info.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I mean less dangerous because he isnt "expected" to go off in the next 1000 Years,and on top of it is monitored 24/7.

Campi Flegrei isnt monitored very well (if at all) and could go off in the next few Decades...thats why i call him more Dangerous

Nevertheless,i really hope some Experts do something...and fast.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks for the heads up on this. Very interesting. While not as big as Yellowstone, still a very large Caldera. VEI 7 is nothing by any means to turn your back on! It appears from the report that there is major activity here and as reported by a "local" so to speak above and 10 feet of Uplift is considerable.

I am worried though that the only reason there is a stop to the drilling at the current moment is that only One (1) Scientist is holding it back and that could change. In my opinion and as observed by me and other here on ATS, drilling does in fact cause earthquakes. Earthquakes can and do trigger eruptions.

It does appear there is quiet a bit of instruments in the area as they stated that in the article. I will be on the lookout for those instruments to keep watch.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks,and please do that. With the supposed Global Cooling going on now,an Eruption of a Supervolcano this size could be a bit nasty.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a latest discouvery in an cave of neanderthals showed dust from the campi flegrei....
so they could be whiped out couse of an eruption of it then...

new topics

top topics

join