It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican cartel announces 1-month truce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Mexican cartel announces 1-month truce

news.yahoo.com

MORELIA, Mexico – A letter purportedly signed by La Familia drug cartel announcing a one-month truce circulated Sunday in the western state of Michoacan.

In the one-page message, distributed by e-mail and in some cities door by door, the gang claims it will halt all crime activity during January to demonstrate that the cartel "is not responsible for the criminal acts federal authorities are reporting to the media."

Prosecutors have not verified the letter's authenticity, according to an employee of the Michoacan bureau of the federal Attorney General's Office who spoke on condition
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why would they want to have a truce? I thought they were winning! The cartel is so powerful they can take on the Mexican govt. They are even taking on the military and corrupting the politicians and officers. No way they are losing or weakening. This article stinks. These guys are invincible! Perhaps they are planning more attacks and needed time.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Why would they want to have a truce? I thought they were winning! The cartel is so powerful they can take on the Mexican govt. They are even taking on the military and corrupting the politicians and officers. No way they are losing or weakening. This article stinks. These guys are invincible! Perhaps they are planning more attacks and needed time.

news.yahoo.com

There own yes, but i assume they too have been informed on about the unofficial price on his head and it has reached all aspects of...lets say, hired guns across the world....

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This may be happening because La Familia took a huge blow and need to regroup. It is not a coincident that cartels would call for a "truce", given their most violent faction has lost its leading member, Nazario Moreno. It either creates a power vacuum or if all the cartels are united, then leadership lost could be a problem for all cartels. Los Zetas is also taking major hits. Like it or not, the Mexican military is making some progress.

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Good- maybe they aren't so tough after all.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Sounds like they have better "war" planners than our own government. Sounds like they are trying to win the support of the common people, and prove that the government is a bigger criminal than they are. Sounds like they have been getting blamed for a bunch of crimes that were not their own.

Maybe they are big enough to take on the government heads up, but they are also savvy enough to not try it, and to instead demonize the government and take the "Robinhood" role in this clash!

They might even be telling the truth! We know the Mexican government has been terribly corrupt, and we know the cartels garnered all this power with full support of government officials up to a point. Sounds like a good plan to me.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
This may be happening because La Familia took a huge blow and need to regroup. It is not a coincident that cartels would call for a "truce", given their most violent faction has lost its leading member, Nazario Moreno. It either creates a power vacuum or if all the cartels are united, then leadership lost could be a problem for all cartels. Los Zetas is also taking major hits. Like it or not, the Mexican military is making some progress.

www.azcentral.com...

Living down here in South/central N.M. I try to stay up on this. Thanks for the link. I too believe that they are "dis-membered".
Now the next question is, Are they going to re-group? meld into 'Los Zetas'? or break into smaller 'clicas'(groups)?

I tend to side with them breaking into smaller independent groups and not re-grouping as a whole mainly for the reason of thieir sheer violence. Too much competition for who's the meanest, baddest, chuco of them all.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yep, Sounds like a hearts and minds kind of ploy.
The cartels, other than the vicious infighting, would probably be a better alternative to the federales in some places in mexico.I hope the michoacan countryside can relax a notch, from the high state of self preservation rush they must have to kick into gear to simply go shopping.
The Feds will not .of course honour any such thing, and perhaps it will amply illustrate the violence is not all cartel sponsored....but my view, it will not be kept by either of the several sides.
The pressures are too great for all concerned.
In a game of tough guys against tough guys, the ones who blanche first invite all kinds of retributions.

new topics

top topics

join