It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Spends Nearly Half His Presidency Outside Washington - Plans to Travel More

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by FlyersFan

I can see domestic trips to visit problem areas, etc. (although I'm sure less expensive underlings can be sent to gather info) Sometimes it is needed. But I'd bet not that often.

Oh yea right, then you would be complaining that he didn't go himself and how disconnected he was to the American people and how he doesn't care about whatever catastrophe plaguing the nation at the moment.

Basically to you, this guy can do no good.

Ol' reliable ; Predictable "what u know":

He's doing what he does best; "making contact with the people":
through short, scripted speeches, via the teleprompter. ( given infront of people who want to see him speak) Basking in unchallenged applause and good feelings We elect a congress to represent us on the hill:
(in Washington). Perhaps he could meet ( in Washington) with Congressman Dr.Ron Paul to discuss the "fed " and dhs.; but I don't expect Dr. Paul would make him feel rosy and give him a lollipop for the visit ( not covered in the healthcare monstrosity bill ).

If He pushed for repeal of all this Nazi state security apparatus or investigated the financial crisis ( with prosecutions!) I would feel more inclined to praise the ground he walked on.( I might even vote for him and I'm a hardcore conservative.) as of now he'sstil part of the "problems"...

No matter what he does, you are sure as the sun shines going to find some fault in it and find a way to put some stank on it. Take it as a flame if you want, but it's the truth, from day 1 of this guys presidency you have been on here freaking out about anything you can.

Here's a question for you, does it say anywhere in the United States Constitution that the president has to be in Washington DC in order to do his job?
I'll use the excuse the conservatives used during Bush's years. The POTUS doesn't actually ever get a day off, they are working every day, even while on vacation, every single day they receive things like the President's daily briefing.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I can see domestic trips to visit problem areas, etc. (although I'm sure less expensive underlings can be sent to gather info) Sometimes it is needed. But I'd bet not that often.

Oh yea right, then you would be complaining that he didn't go himself and how disconnected he was to the American people and how he doesn't care about whatever catastrophe plaguing the nation at the moment.

Basically to you, this guy can do no good. No matter what he does, you are sure as the sun shines going to find some fault in it and find a way to put some stank on it. Take it as a flame if you want, but it's the truth, from day 1 of this guys presidency you have been on here freaking out about anything you can.

Here's a question for you, does it say anywhere in the United States Constitution that the president has to be in Washington DC in order to do his job?

Washington, D.C. is home to all three branches of the U.S. government as well as many international organizations and the embassies of 174 foreign nations. In addition to being the center of U.S. government, Washington, D.C. is known for its history, many historic national monuments and famous museums like the Smithsonian Institution.

The following is a list of ten important things to know about Washington, D.C.:

2) In 1788, James Madison stated that the new U.S. nation would need a capital that was distinct from the states. Shortly thereafter,

Article I of the U.S Constitution stated that a district, separate from the states, would become the seat of government.

I.E. Not the "beaches resort in Camden N.J.....

On July 16, 1790, the Residence Act established that this capital district would be located along the Potomac River and President George Washington would decide exactly where.

geography.about.com...

I'll use the excuse the conservatives used during Bush's years. The POTUS doesn't actually ever get a day off, they are working every day, even while on vacation, every single day they receive things like the President's daily briefing.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Be prepared for even more travel as Obama begins to ramp up his 2012 campaign. Sadly, the man hasn't stopped campaigning for himself since the 2008 election cycle. Now, there is talk that he will base is 2012 reelection in CHICAGOLAND of all places. Yet another first for Obama. All modern two term presidents in the last 30 years have based their operations out of DC or Northern Virginia.

The White House says President Barack Obama has not made a decision on where to locate his re-election headquarters for 2012, but observers expect the campaign to return to its 2008 base: Chicago.

Such a decision would buck recent history. Every two-term president in the last 30 years -- George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan -- set up re-election campaign offices near the White House or in suburban Virginia.

A key factor favoring Chicago's selection is the anti-Washington climate that has swept the country. Another is the insurgency candidacy anticipated from Obama's rivals, who are expected to make the case that the times are bad, the nation's capital is broken, Obama has been captured by Washington -- and they offer voters an alternative.

Running the re-election effort out of Chicago wouldn't stop those arguments, but it could blunt them.

One sign that the campaign may be based in Chicago is the planned return to the city of David Axelrod, the top strategist behind Obama's win in '08 and a White House senior adviser since. After the State of the Union address in late January, Axelrod is expected to come back to Chicago, possibly in February, and begin ratcheting up what's known as "the re-elect."

www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

Not surprising that Obama and his handlers are confused as to how exactly Obama has been spending his time.
They think he's been in the White House the whole time. ha ha ha

I love how people insist on bringing up Bush. Yes, he spent plenty of time in Crawford. However, most of that time was spent working and meeting with officials from other nations. That is why it was dubbed the Western White House. He also spent a great deal of time at nearby Camp David. The official respite location for our POTUS. The traveling circus is not needed when heading to Camp David.

Furthermore, Bush actually worked a full day and maintained a disciplined work schedule. He showed up by 7am and held his first meetings by 8am. Obama checks in to the office by 10 am on a good day and punches out at 5pm. He stays up late, parties late and comes to work late. Remember the WH concert series and Happy Hour wednesdays with Obama.

Obama plans regular happy hours

Obama Wastes Millions of Taxpayer Dollars on Personal Entertainment

Way to party it up in the East Room of the White House. Fortunately, Obama is merely a tenant of the White House and will be gone soon.

edit on 3-1-2011 by jibeho because: clarity

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I love how people insist on bringing up Bush.

Bush was a big part of the OP. What do you mean, people "bringing up Bush"?

Obama checks in to the office by 10 am on a good day and punches out at 5pm.

Do you have a source that states he 'punches out at 5'? Because everything I've read says he works well into the night.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Obama visited more countries in his first year of office then any other president.

Still can't find valid things to bash about other then trips and teleprompters, huh?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Do you have a source that states he 'punches out at 5'? Because everything I've read says he works well into the night.

Ok. Ok. You got me. Just stressing the point of Obama time. He only leaves early for Happy Hour and parties and he is indeed a night owl.

Bush famously arrives at the Oval Office by dawn, leaves by 6 p.m. and goes to bed by 10 p.m. Dinners out are as rare as a lunar eclipse.

Obama, by contrast, stays up late. He holds conference calls with senior staff as late as 11 p.m., and often reads and writes past midnight. Ahead of the Democratic National Convention, he spent consecutive nights holed up in a Chicago hotel room, working on his speech until 2 a.m.

And in the 10 days alone, Obama stopped by a Senate cocktail party, dined out with foreign policy types, and made a visit Saturday to Ben’s Chili Bowl, a Washington institution and pillar in the African-American community. He stayed out until 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at a dinner with conservative columnists.

www.politico.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I see you changed the narrative of that discussion.

She asked if separation of church and state was in the Constitution.

Since you are SOOOOO well read on the Constitution, point it out to me-Constitution Text

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
He probably travels a lot to constantly keep his location moving so radical American's don't assassinate him.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

She asked if separation of church and state was in the Constitution.

No she didn't.

She says..."You are telling me that the seperation of church and state is in the first amendment?"

Her Opponent says "Government shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion"

Her words…”That’s in the first amendment??” followed by mildly frightened laughter by the law class that was listening to the debate.

The 7 minute mark on the video. It's not like there is not a video to dispute your revision. Word for word.

www.youtube.com...

If you are referring the words "seperation of church and state"...those words are not in the constitution, but were later coined to describe the purpose of that passage by Thomas Jefferson himself...the author of that passage.

So you can look to either contempory constitutional scholars..or scroll back to TJ, the author himself...or simply read the first amendment....either way....you will find the seperation of church and state...

no interest in having a flat earth discussion on this thread.
Please start a new one or U2 me if you'd like to continue.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Good...I hope the president and congress spend 90% of their time on the golf course so they can stop messing up the country. Seriously sometimes its better to do NOTHING than to do the wrong things...
Its not about making "mistakes" its about consciously voting with regard to your pocket and when all else fails...FEAR!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
[Well given the powerful modern telecommunications at his disposal there is no problem with him being away from DC.

Sure. No problem. He's still able to perform the same (or not perform, depending on how you look at it) ... here, there, anywhere. Pretty much. (unless he needs a soundproof bunker type thing, but that's another story.) As I said .. my problem is with these guys taking TOO MUCH travel. They don't need to do it all. High-End vacations, campaign trips for their minions, photo-ops here and there disguised as 'work'.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Of course he's being held to higher standards than any other president in history. That goes without saying.

I see just the opposite .. that he's getting away with a lot because people are afraid if they complain about him they'll get the race card pulled on him. That's starting to wear off and the talking heads are actually exposing his shortcomings more now .. but it's taking a while for them to feel free to do so ... IMHO.

Side note .. trying to figure out how to find the new U2U stuff so I can respond to yours. I'll get it ...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by jibeho
I love how people insist on bringing up Bush.

Bush was a big part of the OP. What do you mean, people "bringing up Bush"?

I think he was probably complaining about me

Jibeho ... I understand that the Texas Ranch cost a whole lot less than other trips, but the thing is that all that time in Texas wasn't necessary. It cost taxpayers extra money. Every penny counts .. it all adds up ... many drops in a bucket fill a bucket ... that kind of thing.

The thing is, the job of POTUS doesn't require all this wasted money on travel outside DC. SOME of it, yes. Some international travel and some domestic travel of course. But when the POTUS spends half the time running around outside of DC ..something just isn't right. Either he is micromanaging and others can do the trip for less money, or he's taking advantage of tax payer paid trips. IMHO
edit on 1/3/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Every penny counts .. it all adds up ... many drops in a bucket fill a bucket ... that kind of thing.

I agree completely with this. And that's how many Americans (including me) live. Frugally. Within our means. To make sure we have enough for when we really need it. It's a shame the government doesn't live by the same financial standards as many of us do, but the fact is, they are practically Hollywood. They have lots of money and are used to the finer things. Senators see themselves as entitled. Congresspeople see themselves as above the rest of us. And the president, too. They don't have a clue about having to save for something. They've forgotten.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
obama is, by his own admission, a 'world citizen'. A Kenyan half breed who only acknowledges the black in him, who set out to ruin America, a zionist prop. Since, as he states, we are 'a Nation of Law', backdoor laws that no 'elected' 'representative' ever read or even voted on, then his bearing makes perfect sense. There are plenty of machines that are in place and being developed to do the dirty job. If only he knew.

If you will simply bow down and worship me, I will give you all the kingdoms of the world....

wakey wakey barry. There is, in the universe, a great change, necessitated as countermeasure to your love of power, the thirst for blood of your zionist globalist masters.

When shaun white travels, etching a carbon footprint the size of a forest fire, whimsically going to wherever the snow falls to show off his golden appendages, does anyone believe the TSA asks him what he's doing with all that money? lol

No regrets, ever.
edit on 3-1-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

FlyersFan you are a sly one! You mentioned a part of my post and left the important bit out entirely. Not a bad debating technique (lol). Without the cost/ benefit analysis the point of your OP is left dangling. In short can you prove that the costs of the politician travelling outweighs the benefits of the trip(s).

There I just repeated it.

PS I know it would be tough to analyse costs and benefits

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Wow, she asks if the separation of church and state is in the first amendment. Then he state the first amendment and she says that is stated in the first amendment.

I have discussed this SEVERAL TIMES. What she was saying was that the separation component is not in the first amendment. You and others can twist it all you want.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

See here, this is the WHOLE problem I and others have a problem with, the CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW.

So, tell me, creating laws or regulations to deny the free exercise thereof, of people that want to be in government service, such as a teacher shall NEVER talk about religion.

WELL, to me and others, that is creating law is it not.

Would not want anyone to remember that they use to hold church service in the capital building and the congress.

We will just FORGET THAT. Right?

Whatever, you and I can go round and round on this for days. I will be right and you will be wrong.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Obama visited more countries in his first year of office then any other president.

Still can't find valid things to bash about other then trips and teleprompters, huh?

Citizenship?
sealed lifetime records
Bill Ayres
van Jones...
Chicago gaybathhouses/murders...
Cocaine allegations...

YOU Really, really want to go there?????
edit on 3-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The amount off time the president spends outside of DC in general is not my concerns (unless we talk specifically of vacationing). I think this country needs a president who is active on the streets and among communities. The work follows the president, being out of DC mades little difference to that fact. Obviously it is important that he spends time in the whitehouse, but the whitehouse is not the key to solving our issues, it is just an administrative position.

Now has Obama being especially active in mainstreet? No, not so much more than other presidents, however he is little to no different as well. People who complain about what this president does but remain quiet about others shows me an agenda of sorts. There are many relevant issues at hand that we should be holding Obama accountable for, like renewing the patriot act, or his refusal for withdrawal of our bases which is costing us billions a year. Its a shame that instead, we have people complaining about little petty partisan issues.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

You understand that you can't just make stuff up here right?
Bush spent more time vacationing then ANY other president.Period.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Oh please enlighten me about gay bath houses and coc aine murders. Because I am sure you have valid and legitimiate sources to back that up. And the national enquirer doesn't count.

I need my daily laugh, please enlighten me.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join