It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come on ATSers! Let me explain something to you

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc
As an educated individual,

Wow, pleased to meet you oh wise one.

Now, for those forum members that are not from the US, fine I do not expect perfect grammar and I dont pay any attention, but when someone INSIDE the US spells these SIMPLE fricken words wrong.
/rant

So as an "educated" individual, you somehow only believe that Americans should be using correct spelling and Grammar?

What about the English, Australians, Canadians, Irish, Scottish and South Africans?

Man, where did you get educated?

Also if you can read a post then just read it.... why bother about the spelling.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

It is HAAAAARD as heck to give ANY credibility to ANYONE who comes on here, and BUTCHERS spelling of simple words. Now, for those forum members that are not from the US, fine I do not expect perfect grammar and I dont pay any attention, but when someone INSIDE the US spells these SIMPLE fricken words wrong.. I just cannot and will not lend ANY weight to what they're saying, and usually, I dont even finish reading their post.

frickin' - from fricking

also, dont needs an apostrophe - like this: don't

I would have thought it was just a typo - but you did it twice

sorry - it's early, and I woke up with a sense of humor this morning

:-)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
What about the English, Australians, Canadians, Irish, Scottish and South Africans?

Lets see

English ( United Kingdom or Londoners ), well i always find their accent amusing and as for the woman, well lets say when i hear that accent i does tend to get me into over drive.

Australians. Ah, yes, the land down under, fine woman, great and friendly bunch of people although they can and do get hostile when XXXX beer is consumed.

Canadians. Hmm...now thats a tricky lot, it seems everyone loves them, myself, i find canadian woman extremely hot, i guess its why i haven't been posted in Canada yet.

Irish. Now that is one crazy bunch of people, i must confess i did have a personal friend who was an active member within the IRA back in the 80's, he has now passed away but nevertheless, a really and very proud group of people.

Scottish. Have nothing to say about them since i find them always with a smile on their face for no apparent reason, always a pleasure visiting Scotland.

South Africans. Well that is one nation or should i say a culture, that is still being pulled through the evolution chain, not that i am in anyway saying that they lack what other nations have, but the fact is, they have been isolated for so long from the developed nations and have obviously been used like pawns in chess that they find it difficult to trust even their own family members. Never the less, a very nice place to visit if and when someone decides to visit.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I dony now y they're's all thi's fuss aboot it

As Was pevord in aothner psot poeple can sitll raed eglinsh no mttaer how bdaley its wirtten

Agrue whit the centont not the sellping
edit on 3-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

Just be sure to show your badge when suggesting corrections (such as the use of apostrophes in contractions, perhaps?)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82d456b100d0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

WTF was all that about?

I was talking about English speaking countries

As you're already doing it..... Do America... Do America...

OK... that sounds a little wrong but you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I did hope to provoke laughter which it did..but you can understand my slight off topic post...sorry wont happen again.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Im not from the US, let me just state that first.
Everyone has the right to write. Just because they cannot spell properly dont mean they should be attacked like this.
I dont mind reading a mispelled word, why would I mind if I understood it?
Some people never had the luxury of having a normal education.
What do you want a medal for spelling or a sticker?
Here, I will give you one of these....

There you go poppet.
Now you can add that one to your list of spelling trophies.

N nau, im gon live u wiv dis piss of enliting werd pley n ope u faind mi centance apoling grama .

Hasta la vista, baby.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It is HAAAAARD as heck to give ANY credibility to ANYONE who comes on here, and BUTCHERS spelling of simple words. Now, for those forum members that are not from the US, fine I do not expect perfect grammar and I dont pay any attention, but when someone INSIDE the US spells these SIMPLE fricken words wrong.. I just cannot and will not lend ANY weight to what they're saying, and usually, I dont even finish reading their post.

obvious ones:
To, too, two
their, theyre, there
a, an (please for the love of god, learn this rule)

Simple words I have RECENTLY seen spelled incorrectly:
sense (spelled since)
where (spelled were.. multiple times, pretty much eliminating the "typo" excuse)
space (spelled spase)
no one (seen this on SEVERAL occasions, it is actually two words, not one)

When you cannot spell correctly, please do not press onto me that you have dilligently and intelligently researched the vomit that is about to exit from your brain, unto your fingertips.. because I for one, regard you as a pure waste of valuable time.

You do realize that the spell checker in this little box doesn't work very good. Many words that I put in are labeled as wrong, when they aren't, such as the words colour, honour, labour, which Americans spell as color, honor, labor. I prefer the UK/Cdn spelling, and so many other words come up labeled as wrong, not just cultural spelling, that I can't think of right now. Some I right click for a correction, and there is no suggestion, so I just guess. I have 3 years of college English, and no one is complaining about me making up words, so I think I'm doing OK.

I spotted a title about apostrophes earlier. Lighten up.

It's also a reflection on the current educational system in the US, so I blame the teachers. Not the student.
Also, maybe the people that cannot spell, are very good at math. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
Diligently is spelled with 1 L.

Please please please stop with the following:
"there is already a thread on this, jesus dont you use the search? god your such a newb on the interwebs I HATE YOU" - its not necessary, there are mods to close threads like that, we dont need 10000 little do-gooders

Agreement here.
The search function does need fixing. I've searched for threads using the function, and it doesn't spit out the threads that are already there in any type of order that I can see, so if stuff comes up on the first page from 2004 to 2008, people aren't going to search through the other 10 pages to see if there's something more recent.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Can we make the rant forum only available to members who have been here for more than too
months?

MOTF!
edit on 3-1-2011 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

I realized about 5 years ago that my grammer was terrible. I work everyday to better myself. Now that I have decided to return to school I have found grammer to be the one subject I need to refresh. Using medical abbreviations for the last 12 years did a number on my ability to write correctly.

To be fair, I see more people pushing atheism on ATS then I see pushing god. But I also don't go looking for threads on religion. If one appears on the recent post list I may read it and respond, but this is out of boredom.
edit on 3-1-2011 by rbilly001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

Who died and left you in charge?, Like it or lump it. WE are here because we do not like being told what to do.

And some people no name's mentioned Can spell word's wrong, And be a world leader at the same time!.

If spelling put's you off, try going to china and reading some sign's.

As long as people can read it i don't care!.

You sound to me like one of those do-gooder's, you know the one's that are messing up our freedom.

We could do without you as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Jeeziz hisself done tell me everthing I's ta rite here.

I aint got no book lernin, alls I rites done flo direck from Jeeziz.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Please, DO point out where I misspelled "youre" or "your"

Oh, so I dont sentence structure, I think that is like comparing apples to oranges with spelling, sorry.

As for the member telling me to go _uck _ourself..

Im willing to put every penny in my bank account on the fact you wouldnt say that if you were within 5 miles of me, and if you did, you wouldnt be standing within five seconds of meeting me.

Dont let the internet write checks your ass cant cash, Tommy Toughnuts

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

Since you are such an educated individual, I am sure you must, surely you must realize that ATS is an international board where many many many members do not speak English as a first, second or maybe even third language. And you surely must know that it is not possible to tell who is from the US or England unless they say so.

And translators are crap...

How about we lay off people's spelling and grammar - since really we are not writing a college thesis - and focus on subjects

edit on January 3rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Also, you guys feel free to input your opinion on the rant here, as youre welcome to do, however, if you misspell words frequently, and just have the overall grammar capabilities of a 5 year old.. please dont try and act like you are

1) intelligent enough to make any meaningful contribution to life
2) to this board
3) have a friend in the "know" of "tptb"
4) have a direct connection with God. Chances are, its just that you are as stupid as your posts indicate and your brain cannot differentiate between "God" and your radio.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Please, see OP. I addressed this.

But for ease of reading..

This is directed at members within the US.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by greeneyedleo

Please, see OP. I addressed this.

But for ease of reading..

This is directed at members within the US.

How do you know who is in the US and who is not...if they do not say so?

Also, did you check your OP and other posts? Many errors in them
Before you preach...make sure you are 1000000000000% PERFECT

edit on January 3rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

/rant

I fully agree with you.

It's not just this site either nor is it even just on the web sites. Listen to people speak lately?

People's desire to get a basic education these days is sorely lacking. There are millions of young people graduating high school who can't read, do simple math, spell correctly or even get the most basic grammer.

That in itself doesn't worry me the most. If we had uneducated people and ACKNOWLEDGED it and tried to fix it that would be one thing. The thing is that nobody cares or will even admit their ignorant.

You can see that most on here just attacked you for bringing it up and called you Jesus, perfect and a few other names. Instead of educating themselves it's easier to attack the guy stating the truth.

So much for denying ignorance.....

If you believe in aliens, UFO's, time travel, conspiracies & The Illuminati your denying ignorance.....
If you can't read, write, spell and do math your not considered ignorant.....go figure

It doesn't matter how smart you are, if you can't handle basic things it makes you look ignorant.

The thing is that telling ignorant people that they are ignorant is a waste of your time because they will not change.....only attack you for calling them out.

The funniest thing to me is that some of these people we're talking about are collage educated people.

I on the other hand dropped out of high school because I got hit by a drunk driver my senior year and spent 6 months in the hospital. I went 5 years later and received a GED.
Actually got the highest score ever in the county in Wyoming where the test was taken
(maybe not saying much though
)
edit on 3-1-2011 by mwood because: grammer correction - at least I knew it was wrong....lol

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

Please use apostrophes when using contractions.

youre = you're

theyre=they're

didnt = didn't

etc., etc.

I'm kidding (see there, I'm = I am) really, but see how easy it is to poke? We're all here to communicate our viewpoints, and if YOU don't want to take someone seriously due to their grammar, then by all means, that is your right, so I get the rant.

That said though, the Internet isn't going to change because one person wants it to, so we all have to live with this chaotic creation of the masses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join